Interview With Smashbox..

xStarryEyedX

hihi =).

I was wondering if any of you know anything about working for Smashbox Cosmetics. I have an interview with them next week (wow, a cosmetics company is actually hiring... AMAZING!!)... I know a decent amount about their products and their company, but I just want to make sure that I'd be making the right decision leaving BE for them if it came to that. It's really not even about the pay, I just want to make sure that they are good to their employees, what kind of customer base they have, etc.

Thanks so much for any help.. I can't remember any of you mentioning that you work for them and I tried to do a search but nothing came up..but I figured here is def. the place to try for any honest feedback =).

mslips

Oh my gosh Smashbox is THE shit...I am CRAZY about them. I work at Ulta and Smashbox and BE are def on the top 5 list of brands that I sell a lot to customers. Working for BE is awesome too...do you work at the BE store or are you a freelancer? The customer base for Smashbox is very wide ranged...everyone can love Smashbox, how can you not? It is a very professional brand and of course makeup designed for the camera. The freelancers/trainers I know for them enjoy working for them, they love their job. Did they offer you a good pay? What about BE?

But anyways, BE and Smashbox are two totally different brands, but they are both really great. BE does steer more towards the natural look, i know they have some wild stuff, but most of their stuff is very natural. With Smashbox you can do anything...that's why the customer base is very wide, they have their natural customers and their dramatic customers. They are very fun.
I would love to work for Smashbox.

But anyways I wish you luck on your interview! Let me know how it goes!!

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslips
Oh my gosh Smashbox is THE shit...I am CRAZY about them. I work at Ulta and Smashbox and BE are def on the top 5 list of brands that I sell a lot to customers. Working for BE is awesome too...do you work at the BE store or are you a freelancer? The customer base for Smashbox is very wide ranged...everyone can love Smashbox, how can you not? It is a very professional brand and of course makeup designed for the camera. The freelancers/trainers I know for them enjoy working for them, they love their job. Did they offer you a good pay? What about BE?

But anyways, BE and Smashbox are two totally different brands, but they are both really great. BE does steer more towards the natural look, i know they have some wild stuff, but most of their stuff is very natural. With Smashbox you can do anything...that's why the customer base is very wide, they have their natural customers and their dramatic customers. They are very fun.
I would love to work for Smashbox.

But anyways I wish you luck on your interview! Let me know how it goes!!

Thanks so much
wavey.gif
... my interview's tomorrow so we'll see what happens. I know I have the experience to back me up, I just kind of have to read up a little more on the company and think of a couple of questions to ask. Thanks sooo much for replying and I'll def. post after my interview =) =)

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
k yay!

i think it went really well =). the two girls who interviewed me were so nice. it seems like any of my concerns and questions regarding things that i hoped would happen (growth within a company) were exactly what they were actually looking for.. if that makes any sense..i dunno- i really hope they call though =).

how is ulta by you? at the one by me they never really seem to be very interested in helping with the products at all.

mslips

Well good job! I wish you luck hun =) Smashbox would be a great company to grow with. I think that was very good that you brought that up and that is what they want/need right now. When should you be gettin a call?

I like my Ulta, just hate the hrs right now..i wish i was full time. =(

I work at the Ulta ranked 5th out of the whole US so we're pretty damn good at helping customers, my prestige team is very dedicated to learning about the products and were very professional with assisting guests and that is one of the reasons why we're in the top 10. =D

It just sucks that i hear a lot of bad experiences with employees from other ultas...management is also responsible for that.

xStarryEyedX

didn't say, i have to pick up my moisturizer from the counter that's right next to smashbox friday so i don't want them to think i'm like a giant stalker but obviously i'll say hi.. they should offer you full time hours if you guys rank so high! i mean obviously it's something you take seriously and you're a benefit to the company soooo wouldn't that make sense for them to do? durrrr. yeah our ulta is in an awesome location but i feel like their managers through the years haven't used that to their advantage so now it's just kind of sucky. they have this huge store in a really pretty location but they never really have anything going on. there was one girl about 2 years ago who came over and started talking to me about eyeshadows but besides that... i just get my stuff, wonder around, and get rung up..it's weird. i guess they don't get secret shopped or anything.?

mslips

lol what mositurizer do you need? Well it'll be nice to say hi to them! Maybe theyll talk about things, maybe update? But maybe the manager wont be there either that day.

I don't know what's up with Ulta lately...they are so crappy this yr. Im supposed to get a raise in March and im not expecting anything good because my raise from last yr was shit....they are super stingy with pay. That's why I wanna leave already...it's totally unfair thar I didn't get the full time lead position, but they hired some girl who was a manager at Baker's (a shoe store) with absolutely no cosmetics experience whatsoever and gave it to her, so now even though the hrs are cut, she's guaranteed full time hrs no matter what...its just not fair beacuse she really doesnt do anything different from me, i actually work harder than she does and i trained that girl ike crazy...Ulta's just so unfair and i just wanna leave, i dont feel appreciated.

xStarryEyedX

i feel that way at BE too
ssad.gif
.. i went crazy planning events and working my butt off then my yearly raise was i believe 35 cents. Maybe 33, i forgot. I was SOOOO pissed off and it's the same thing with hours too. based on reading posts on here i feel like the only cosmetics places that arent stingy are mac and like lancome etc... i don't understand why they don't appreciate us more... like hellooooooooooo people... showing appreciation=happy work environment...happy work environment=better sales. if they think i've been working half as hard as i was before that half ass raise they're on crazy pills.

oh and the moisturizer is philosophy's hope in a jar, i tried the one they gave us at BE and love it but i've been getting blackheads all of the sudden + that's the only thing i've changed. my skin doesn't like natural products (except the night time treatment+blemish therapy)... it likes it's chemicals and parabens just fine.
that really sucks that they hired some random girl, what the hell ever happened to promoting from within =(.

mslips

Yea im surprised even BE is being shitty to you..BE is a BIG company and at Ulta that's our highest selling brand every single wk...BE sells itself so I don't see why they are treating you that way..they make a ton of money.

Happy work environment does = great sales..couldnt agree more...

thats odd yer getting blackheads, its supposed to refine your pores lol.

I actually heard mac laid off a buncha ppl..so i dunno if theyre not stingy either lol...im really let down from hearing we cant use our pro card on hello kitty, i think thats pretty stingy due to the fact that we got to on barbie and fafi..

fauxsilk

starryeyed, did you get the job in the end?I might be going for an interview with smashbox soon. d
Do you know what the benefits of wokring for them are?like any products allocations and discount?and training?

Thanks!XXX

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Hey, yea how'd it go!!

I'm actually taking a break from makeup, they never called but it worked out for the better b/c it wasn't a full time position and I got a full time job at an office that I love. Honestly, it's soo their loss =). How is ulta?

mslips

Oh ok, thats good that you found something you love, you can always come back to makeup =) thats whats good about it. But Ulta is still shit..no hrs..no raise =/ *sigh* Maybe I should apply for a Smashbox counter...what do you think? I love Smashbox and know a lot about the brand.