Is anyone in cosmetology school? Or previously been in it?

cheapglamour

I am right now in highschool. Yes we have it in our highschool
smiles.gif
amazing, i know.

But i'm so close to being finished with all of my hours so that means that my state board test is coming up
ssad.gif

Does anyone want to share experiences? Or give me some tips?

Jewelz913

Hey girlie...congrats on being almost finished! I took my test a few years ago, and am licensed in NY and NC. What state are you taking it in?
But experiences for me, umm yea I was extremely nervous the day of the test. Im also a singer and that day I'd rather have been on stage in front of like 1000 ppl instead of take the test. haha I think b/c all during school my instructors just pounded into our heads to how important the boards were, and making sure everything was perfect. just making sure we were prepared. But after it was over and i got the license in the mail, it was soo worth it. So just make sure you are prepared and have everything, try to not to be too nervous, but if ur confident you know ur stuff u'll be fine! :)

cheapglamour

I'm taking it in Texas.

Yeah my instructor has been pretty good about keepin us on top of our game. I can do all the practical stuff, really easy. It's just being infront of all those mean ladies (from what i've heard they are mean). And the written, eh not TOO nervous. Just got to study, A LOT.
But thank you
smiles.gif

Jewelz913

yea the written u'll be fine on...its all textbook crap.....and of course each state is different.. when I took the practical in NY...there were about 30 girls in the room and like 3 proctors...they just walked around watching ppl...when u were done they'd come over, look at it...ask to show them a technique or check a perm or something....then you'd get ready for the next task...but yea sometimes they can be mean and like to intimidate. Just be confident. if you have a lil mess up or run out of time dont worry about it. They'll just look at what you have. GOOD LUCK!

cheapglamour

Well i have another question. ha.
Did you get your shampoo license? And if you did.. did you use to to be a shampoo tech? or do they have that in NY?

Jewelz913

No they dont do that in NY... as soon as you complete 1,000 hours, you can go and apply and get your temp license. and work with that until you take the written and then the practical. Like i said each state is sooo different. Honestly I've never even heard of just getting a shamp. lic.

cheapglamour

Oh weird. yeah we get both but only some people will get you with your shampoo license.. like visable changes. but i think those are only in texas. or tony & guy. hm..