is color a definite answer to identifying a fake?

invadersads

i've read the guide on identifying fake mac pigments tons of times and it shows swatches of fakes against the real thing, but what i want to know is, if you swatch a real vs a suspected fake and they match, is that what definitely determines that the pigment is real and not fake?

MACATTAK

As for all the fakes that I have purchased before, the fake colors never match the authentic ones. They may be close, but there is a definite color/texture difference.

panda0410

The answer is yes and no - some pigments actually look the same as the real ones ( deep blue green ) until you swatch it on skin. Be careful with the mattes - some of the new fake mattes are almost the same as real - and I mean that seriously. The fake Goldenaire, Bright Fuchsia,Grape pigments are damn close to real as well - TOO close if you ask me.... The reason I stopped buying colours off ebay is because of this - 1) some colours (like just mentioned) are pretty identical to real colours, the jars and boxes were not, BUT ~ 2) the fake Chartruese I got was in a box and jar that were IDENTICAL to real ones. It wont take the counterfeiters long to put the fake identical pigments into the fake identical jars and boxes and then no-one will be able to tell the difference.

The only colours I am currently buying off ebay are those rares not found anywhere else, and colours from persons of whom I know WHERE the items were sourced.

pumpkincat210

The color may be the same but the texture is usually different. It's also hard to tell if something is a fake from a picture of the color since computer moniters and cameras are all a little different.

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
The color may be the same but the texture is usually different. It's also hard to tell if something is a fake from a picture of the color since computer moniters and cameras are all a little different.

Actually its not - the new fakes are almost identical to real pigments in texture as well. I have had more than one now where if it wasnt for the bloody jar (which had hallmarks of counterfeits) I WOULDN'T have called it at all..... Like I said, the new fake mattes are pretty much the same as authentic pigments now, the boxes/jars gave a few of them away, so is the Grape, Bright Fuchsia and Goldenaire. This is why I stopped buying off ebay....

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
Actually its not - the new fakes are almost identical to real pigments in texture as well. I have had more than one now where if it wasnt for the bloody jar (which had hallmarks of counterfeits) I WOULDN'T have called it at all..... Like I said, the new fake mattes are pretty much the same as authentic pigments now, the boxes/jars gave a few of them away, so is the Grape, Bright Fuchsia and Goldenaire. This is why I stopped buying off ebay....

oh that is really a bummer! i remember when the real ones had a chunky more moist consistency and the fakes were dryer and more powdery. I haven't bought a pigment on ebay in a long time since it was flooded with fakes awhile back, I wonder who the chemist that made them is and if he stole mac's recipe.