Is perfect skin a must?

Piaqua

I am going in for an interview for a makeup counter at a dept store very soon (not MAC). I'm really excited about it as I've wanted to do this for quite some time now. I am a little worried though, as my skin definitely isn't flawless. I unfortunately inherited very bad acne from my father. I’m not as much worried about blemishes and pimples (those luckily are pretty rare now) but I do have scars from earlier days (they are the textured kind, rather than discolored). I don’t want people/customers to think it’s because I don’t take care of my face or have a good skincare regime. Trust me, I do, lol. Do you think this could get in the way of me being hired? I want you guys to be honest with me. Do most counters require pretty flawless skin? Thank you in advance
greengrin.gif

Bernadette

No. I'm a Freelancer so I've gone to many of the counters here and worked with a ton of girls and not everyone's skin is perfect. I don't think this would be any problem at all. Plus if you think about it, not everyoen that comes in to have their makeup done is going to have perfect skin so peopel that know how to work with that are also needed. Don't you worry, go get em.

calbear

You might want to do a search cause I know I've responded to this very question recently. If I find it I will link you.

Piaqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear
You might want to do a search cause I know I've responded to this very question recently. If I find it I will link you.

I'm so sorry- I did do a bit of searching and didn't find anything. Maybe I searched the wrong keywords or in the wrong forum!

Moppit

I think you will be just fine. Here is why I say that: I'm at my MAC counter a lot and the MA always says why don't you come in for a makeover because you always buy enough to get one. I always tell them no because I don't want anyone to see me without makeup. More than one has told me that I should see their skin under makeup because they are far from perfect.

Its nice to know that I'm not the only one with problem skin even though it feels like I am.

So GO GET EM

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piaqua
I'm so sorry- I did do a bit of searching and didn't find anything. Maybe I searched the wrong keywords or in the wrong forum!

Oh no it wasn't a bad thing ;-) (I'm not one of those SEARCH nazi's) I was just thinking that you might not get as many responses.

Oh and let me get to answering for you -

perfect skin is not a must. One of our past trainers had the worst skin EVER but she could beat a face with the best of them. So many of the people I work with do not have perfect skin so you do not have to worry about that as long as your skills are on par. Good luck.

shabdebaz

I don't have perfect skin girl...over time you just learn how to really cover your imperfections and accentuate your qualities. When people tell me they want perfect skin like mine...I have to laugh inside and point them towards concealer, foundation, powder, blush, highlighter....you get the point!

SpareMyHeart

This thread has just made my day.
I've always been so self-conscious to apply anywhere because of my skin, but now I think i'll give it a go.
cheerleader.gif

Katura

nope!

I recently interviewed for MAC and was hired (I work at a Macy's counter) and my skin is def/ not perfect. On the day I had to bring my model and do all that...I'm not gonna lie, I had a moster sized cyst-like zit on my cheek...not to mention when I go tthere, to my horror...I looked orange under the lights in there store. I was freaking out.

Not everyone at my counter has perfect skin, just like any customer isnt going to have perfect skin. If you've got the skills and the passion...get your butt in there and apply!!!

Piaqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpareMyHeart
This thread has just made my day.
I've always been so self-conscious to apply anywhere because of my skin, but now I think i'll give it a go.
cheerleader.gif

Well I wish you the best of luck when you apply
greengrin.gif

lara

Officially? No, it's your make-up skills and retail flair that counts, not your skin.
Unofficially, however, your appearance is certainly taken into consideration. The odd hormonal pimple isn't going to cost you a job opportunity, but a full face of acne may be a distinct negative when being considered for a front-line cosmetic position. The same for having poor posture, an inability to dress for your body type, being unable to carry your weight well, etc etc etc.

It's not PC and you'll never see it written in an HR hiring policy book, but your appearance is certainly a strong factor when it comes to representational employment.

MissMarley

My cosmetics manager flat out told me that my complexion was going to be an excellent selling point for Clinique because I have good skin (thank you Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask!)