Is there a certain age...

Folie

I was reading a thread and it intrigued me because I had a converstation today withn a friend that was very similar to it. One of the things we touched on, the friend and I, was about "adult students". You know, people who go to/finish college at the age of like age of 25 and older. We were saying how we've met students at our school, we went to the same university, who were 30s and older and many of them didn't finish.
ssad.gif
Basically after talking about the idea in general, we thought 35ish is kind of old to go back to school. Even if you finish in 4 years, you'll be about 40 by the time you land a job and everything. You've spent most your adult life working for lower wages. So, do you think there's a certain age where you're just too old to go back to school? Too old to do something else? Why?

Mabelle

i dont think theres a certain age thats too old.... There are all kinds people that go back, in all kinds of situations for all kinds a reasons.
My best friend's mom went back in her mid 30s and did a certificat in translation. She has since quit her job that she hated and is a very sucessful tranlator and editor working out of home.
My mom went back to school in her 50s. She does a couple courses a week, and works full time as a nurse (she been working for 35 years). She went back because there would be a slight payraise, but also, because she wanted to get out of the public hospitals and do thinsg she wanted to do. She graduates next semester i believe, and while she may only work for a few more years, i know shell be doing something easier on her, that she likes better.

i know a lot of people's parents that are going back to school. My friend's dad lost his job and now studying... soemthing computerish. The government is paying for his school too so he can support his family with a job in a high demand feild.

tarnii

Everybodies situation is different for sure.

Another perspective is often young people follow the paths that are layed out for them or ones that they fall onto through circumstances they don't control. It is not until they have done all the things they are supposed to do to live up to the expections of parents and then partners and children that they find the courage to do something that they want to do - just simply for themselves. It may not be to forge a brand new career path but perhaps just to enrich their lives and use their brains for something other than what life has dealt them.

LMD84

my mum went 'back to school' at 30 to start training as a teacher. and i don't feel that was too old at all. now she is doing something that makes her very happy and although it took her a while to get there - seeing her happy in her work i think is worth it. plus sometimes when you are older you are financially more able to study. because you have worked before perhaps you have saved up teh cash rather than relying on loans. or perhaps a partner could pay bills while you did school.

plus my hubbys mum she did a degree in her 30's also. she mainly did it not for a career change but to challenge herself - she wanted to prove that she could manage it. and she did
smiles.gif

so not at all do i feel people are too old for school.

anita22

This rings close to home for me, because my husband is still a student at the ripe old age of 37, and is in his 12th year of study!

By the time he is done he will have 2 Masters degrees and 2 PhDs. Basically, he is just very academically oriented. Although he initially was educated in business and worked in that area, he realised he hated it - so went back to university to study philosophy!

A lot of people think it's strange, but he is very good at what he does (currently he's doing his PhD at Oxford) and I'm sure will make a great academic some day. His area of study does actually relate to his previous work in business, so hopefully he won't be starting completely from scratch when he finally finishes his study.

Bjarka

My mom had to go back to school when she was in her early 30s. She had gotten an illness, that affected her joint, and so she could no longer do the job she was trained for. So now she's 51, and have a job in a Kindergarten, and have been there for more that 10 years now. Don't think she was too old. People tend to forget the advantage of life experience when it comes to education.

Junkie

Not really. I think some people just get bored or unhappy with their situation. Some just want to go back to school because they realize their job isn't making them enough money or they aren't working for something they're passionate about.

Many things can happen too - a lot of the older generation who went to school and didn't finish highschool (let alone go to College/Uni) are being laid off and going up against brand-spanking new early-20's graduates for jobs. Many HAVE to go back to school to be able to compete for those jobs. A lot of places now require that extra schooling for a position. And in most cases, a piece of paper (ie. A diploma) trumps yeeeears of experience.

My gramma is living proof that you aren't too old to go back to school. She got her Masters at age 69
smiles.gif
So proud of her. She's got way more schooling than me! Haha.

JustAddSparkles

There's never an age too old to become more educated.

But this is from a girl who will be in school constantly until she's 28.

Meisje

Age is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to education. Whether in school or not, you should learn your whole life. I think if you're 80 and you feel like going back to school, you should go for it.

Modmom

Well, I'm 40 and I have a very good paying job (have never worked for low wages) and I'm going back to school this fall to get my esthetics certificates.

For me I jumped right into the corporate world after high school and quickly moved up in rank and pay. After losing my first child to SIDS, I left the work world to be a stay at home mom. All that mattered to me was spending every moment possible with my children.

I've built up an at-home business successfully over the last 15 years designing and selling home decor at trade shows. Its incredibly hard work, but it allowed me to be home with my boys all the time.

Two years ago I went back to work part time in an office job. I'm still there now.

Now I'm ready for 'me' time. My boys are 13 and 10. My plan is to get my education now so that when my youngest is in junior high, I will go back to work full time in the beauty industry.

So to answer your question, you're never too old for schooling. Life throws many curve balls at you. Twenty years ago I would have told you that by 40 I would be in a top corporate position. Looking back now, I know I wouldn't have been happy.

I'm so excited to be able to go back to school now. I know what I like in life and I'm very clear about who I am and where the next phase in my life will take me.

I can understand, at your age, why you think 40 is too old for many things. But I promise you, when you get here, you'll feel like things are just getting started!!

Folie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anita22
This rings close to home for me, because my husband is still a student at the ripe old age of 37, and is in his 12th year of study!

By the time he is done he will have 2 Masters degrees and 2 PhDs. Basically, he is just very academically oriented. Although he initially was educated in business and worked in that area, he realised he hated it - so went back to university to study philosophy!

A lot of people think it's strange, but he is very good at what he does (currently he's doing his PhD at Oxford) and I'm sure will make a great academic some day. His area of study does actually relate to his previous work in business, so hopefully he won't be starting completely from scratch when he finally finishes his study.

I hope so, too.
smiles.gif
This is kind of my point and why I feel the way I do. There's certain salaries you get in most fields when you start out and they don't care if you're 22 and starting or 52 and entering the field. It's about being kind of the "low man on the totempole". There's certain base salaries that I could see a younger person living on where as I can't see an older person, with perhaps family, or who's used to a larger incoming living on. Also, sorry to those doing it or have/had family who are doing it, but it just seems like a waste career wise. It's like you'll never advance to where you could have because you've missed so many years working in another field. I'm not saying not to do it, but it kinda seems like a waste to me. I always think of this lady I heard of, I forgot her exact age, who was 80 and it took her like a decade to graduate, she started at 70 or so, and she died the day after her graduation.
shockt.gif
ssad.gif

Folie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modmom
Well, I'm 40 and I have a very good paying job (have never worked for low wages) and I'm going back to school this fall to get my esthetics certificates.

For me I jumped right into the corporate world after high school and quickly moved up in rank and pay. After losing my first child to SIDS, I left the work world to be a stay at home mom. All that mattered to me was spending every moment possible with my children.

I've built up an at-home business successfully over the last 15 years designing and selling home decor at trade shows. Its incredibly hard work, but it allowed me to be home with my boys all the time.

Two years ago I went back to work part time in an office job. I'm still there now.

Now I'm ready for 'me' time. My boys are 13 and 10. My plan is to get my education now so that when my youngest is in junior high, I will go back to work full time in the beauty industry.

So to answer your question, you're never too old for schooling. Life throws many curve balls at you. Twenty years ago I would have told you that by 40 I would be in a top corporate position. Looking back now, I know I wouldn't have been happy.

I'm so excited to be able to go back to school now. I know what I like in life and I'm very clear about who I am and where the next phase in my life will take me.

I can understand, at your age, why you think 40 is too old for many things. But I promise you, when you get here, you'll feel like things are just getting started!!

I think the only thing I wonder about is, do people really do better after going back to school again. Will your salary be as good as if you had stayed with the corporate profession you started with? I think about things way too much. It also seems scary to have a body or work and just dive into something new. I don't think I'd ever do that, I'm too chicken. lol

anita22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folie
I hope so, too.
smiles.gif
This is kind of my point and why I feel the way I do. There's certain salaries you get in most fields when you start out and they don't care if you're 22 and starting or 52 and entering the field. It's about being kind of the "low man on the totempole". There's certain base salaries that I could see a younger person living on where as I can't see an older person, with perhaps family, or who's used to a larger incoming living on. Also, sorry to those doing it or have/had family who are doing it, but it just seems like a waste career wise. It's like you'll never advance to where you could have because you've missed so many years working in another field. I'm not saying not to do it, but it kinda seems like a waste to me. I always think of this lady I heard of, I forgot her exact age, who was 80 and it took her like a decade to graduate, she started at 70 or so, and she died the day after her graduation.
shockt.gif
ssad.gif

Yes, I see your point... though in my husband's case (and I'm sure many others), the area he worked in previously gave him a lot of transferable skills. Same with my mum, who retrained to work as a financial planner (from a general manager previously) in her 40s - her previous experience meant that she wasn't lining up with graduates for a beginner position.

As for the family aspect, it comes down of course to the individuals in question, but in our case my husband was really unhappy with his previous career (not because he wasn't good at it, it was just the horrendous lifestyle and constant travel mainly). Clearly his studying does affect us, but if he was working in a job that made him miserable, then I wouldn't be very happy either
ssad.gif

purrtykitty

I went back to school at 24, graduated after three years with my law degree, and worked for a year before figuring out that I didn't want to be a traditional lawyer (and I ended up losing that job anyway, but that's a different story). Now at nearly 30, I'm faced with the likelihood of having to go back to school for something, I am just not 100% sure what. I'm in the really tough spot of having plenty of education, but little experience, and most places aren't hiring for that. I don't know if I just want to start an entirely different career path, which might take me upwards of 8 years to complete, or just tack on to what I have with more specialization. I'm worried about further pigeon-holing myself into more education with no experience, and ending up even worse off than I am now, whereas starting over, I'm only setting myself back a little ways.

I still have plenty of time to have a nice long career, even if it starts at nearly 40, but it still is a very daunting prospect.

My last option is just to work enough to pay off my school loans, be a stay-at-home wife/mother and never look back. The longer I'm out of work, the more appealing that sounds. But still, I can't help but feel I'm not done learning, yet.

littlepickle

You're never too old to go back! My mother went back to school in her 40s and did a veterinary nursing course part time for four years. She graduated with honours, decided she didn't like nursing after all and started work as a purchasing offer at a vet clinic, so she gets to use her knowledge and do stuff she's naturally good at. I'm so proud of her!
I'm studying now (I'm 21) and there's a woman called Jan doing the same major as me, who is in her 70s! She's a former high school teacher and painter who wants to make sure she is 'current' with the art world. Sure, she drives me nuts sometimes because she's a former teacher and has the tendency to forget we are not in fact her students, but I admire her for having the drive to go back to school.

Folie

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
I went back to school at 24, graduated after three years with my law degree, and worked for a year before figuring out that I didn't want to be a traditional lawyer (and I ended up losing that job anyway, but that's a different story). Now at nearly 30, I'm faced with the likelihood of having to go back to school for something, I am just not 100% sure what. I'm in the really tough spot of having plenty of education, but little experience, and most places aren't hiring for that. I don't know if I just want to start an entirely different career path, which might take me upwards of 8 years to complete, or just tack on to what I have with more specialization. I'm worried about further pigeon-holing myself into more education with no experience, and ending up even worse off than I am now, whereas starting over, I'm only setting myself back a little ways.

I still have plenty of time to have a nice long career, even if it starts at nearly 40, but it still is a very daunting prospect.

My last option is just to work enough to pay off my school loans, be a stay-at-home wife/mother and never look back. The longer I'm out of work, the more appealing that sounds. But still, I can't help but feel I'm not done learning, yet.

Whether 18 or 80, I don't think you should enter college unless you're sure of what you want to study, even if just for a hobby/personal enlightment. I think life is too short to "waste" in classes you're iffy about.
th_dunno.gif

I've been in this situation, too. I want to get my master's, but I'm not settled in my field. I'm leery of getting it without having a job I like. I'm also holding out, because others have gotten to pursue their masters for free upon landing certain jobs. So, I'd really kick myself if I got my masters when I should have waited and got it for free. I also might be moving out of state. So, I don't wanna start a masters program and not be able to finish.
ssad.gif

It might be best to pay off your loans before you enter school again.

kimmietrinh

The major that I'm taking right now is intended for adult students. My classmates range from mostly 27-55. Some are back in school because they never finished it, it's required for their job now, or they want a change of scenery. I bet that adult students in primarily "freshmen" classes do feel the initial burst of embarrassment for being stuck with such a younger crowd. If you check the statistics, there is a higher percentage of adult students than you would think.

nursie

maybe years ago it could have been considered 'too old' to teach an old dog new tricks. but in today's world, i've got staff nurses who are in their 70's who feel like they will not make it on retirement/savings so they are still working. imagine still working for minimum wage in your 70's. so at the approach of age 40,50,60...if there is no giant retirement fund or sudden windfall, anything you can do to increase not only the income but the comfort level of the work you'll have to do into your 'golden years' is going to be worthwhile!

Folie

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepickle
You're never too old to go back! My mother went back to school in her 40s and did a veterinary nursing course part time for four years. She graduated with honours, decided she didn't like nursing after all and started work as a purchasing offer at a vet clinic, so she gets to use her knowledge and do stuff she's naturally good at. I'm so proud of her!
I'm studying now (I'm 21) and there's a woman called Jan doing the same major as me, who is in her 70s! She's a former high school teacher and painter who wants to make sure she is 'current' with the art world. Sure, she drives me nuts sometimes because she's a former teacher and has the tendency to forget we are not in fact her students, but I admire her for having the drive to go back to school.

th_LMAO.gif
The last part of your post reminded of this guy I had in a summer course I took. Boy, was he annoying.
ssad.gif
I honestly think he even annoyed the professor, who he was older than. I think sometimes, people, well some people, tend to not be able to take instruction well from people who are younger than them. He would always complain or try to out talk the professor or act like he knew more. After the first class, the professor didn't call on him. He ended up dropping the class.

Folie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmietrinh
The major that I'm taking right now is intended for adult students. My classmates range from mostly 27-55. Some are back in school because they never finished it, it's required for their job now, or they want a change of scenery. I bet that adult students in primarily "freshmen" classes do feel the initial burst of embarrassment for being stuck with such a younger crowd. If you check the statistics, there is a higher percentage of adult students than you would think.

Do you have any statistics? I tried to look it up, but it more information about what an adult learner is.