Is there a huge difference between self protraits and professional photographer?

jackie100

I'm not happy with the way I look when I take self-portraits, probably because the angle or whatever, but my nose always looks real big in self-portraits etc

Does having a professional photographer make a huge difference?

I want to have pro photos with professional makeup/hair taken of me and I looked up some professional photographers on-line in my area (Orange County) but they are so expensive!!

Around $200 for 1-10 edited images on a cd plus another $100 for a makeup artist... so at least $300 and at a lot of places it's even more expensive for the photographer...

Are there any other more affordable options? I want some GOOD pics of myself...

chynegal

how about trying up and comming photographers and makeup artist that should cut it down some

jackie100

I will try to look for that, thanks for the suggestion! Kinda hard to find though I think but I'll try.

chynegal

your welcome...u can even try your local mac counter and see if any of the girls do makeup on the side for a good price
smiles.gif
i dunno if u can do a search on model mayhem and see what local photogs are in your are also

nonchalantbeaut

A professional photographer makes a huge difference. My husband is a up and coming photographer and its amazing what he can do with the right lighting and the right settings. Especially if you are looking to use your photos for buisness purposes professional is the way to go. As the person before me said, you should look for new photographers in your area who are looking to build up their portfolio. Usually they won't charge you or won't charge you much and they will give you all of your photos but you give them the right to use the photos to advertise.

Pinupsundae

There are some pretty big scams in terms of studio photography out there - those that will charge you literally an arm and a leg for a makeover shoot, which is utter rubbish and completely overpriced. I worked for a while in such a company (as a receptionist, I keep my own photography far separate from that...) and the prices they'd charge for over-photoshopped pictures with no hint of creativity or of your true beauty...well it's pathetic. I think every city has a couple of these studios that will try and prey on un-suspecting people in shopping malls etc. promising a free shoot or what not and then ridiculous prices for prints.

However, on the whole there are some amazing photographers out there. It depends on what you're looking for with a shoot - styling etc. as well? Pictures for a certain concept/makeup look? Just nice shots of yourself? Ask around, check out some online portfolios and the like. I would highly recommend looking at the work of up and coming photographers if you can't afford the services of a more established photographer just yet, because these photographers can still produce amazing work.

Try Model Mayhem, even if you don't want to be a model you'll find a tonne of photographers if you do a search with reasonable rates and a real passion for what they do. Make sure to check up on references and the like, but you can really find some amazing talent there. That is not to say established professionals don't still offer good work - look around and see - just their prices can be more expensive if you don't want to spend so much.

I don't know about the going rate in your area, especially because I'm from Australia, but having worked in the business a little, I'd say they don't sound that bad. It's a lot looking from the outside, but remember you're paying for a lot more work behind the scenes when it comes to editing etc. That takes a huge chunk of time! Especially if the photographer has their own studio, you're paying for all that equipment (which isn't cheap!) as well as their creative talents.
smiles.gif

Short Version: Yes, there should be a BIG difference if you're not a photographer yourself. You've got lighting, editing, creative direction + styling and the like. You don't have to go to an established professional for great shots though and just be sure to do your research whichever way you go.

jackie100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinupsundae
There are some pretty big scams in terms of studio photography out there - those that will charge you literally an arm and a leg for a makeover shoot, which is utter rubbish and completely overpriced. I worked for a while in such a company (as a receptionist, I keep my own photography far separate from that...) and the prices they'd charge for over-photoshopped pictures with no hint of creativity or of your true beauty...well it's pathetic. I think every city has a couple of these studios that will try and prey on un-suspecting people in shopping malls etc. promising a free shoot or what not and then ridiculous prices for prints.

However, on the whole there are some amazing photographers out there. It depends on what you're looking for with a shoot - styling etc. as well? Pictures for a certain concept/makeup look? Just nice shots of yourself? Ask around, check out some online portfolios and the like. I would highly recommend looking at the work of up and coming photographers if you can't afford the services of a more established photographer just yet, because these photographers can still produce amazing work.

Try Model Mayhem, even if you don't want to be a model you'll find a tonne of photographers if you do a search with reasonable rates and a real passion for what they do. Make sure to check up on references and the like, but you can really find some amazing talent there. That is not to say established professionals don't still offer good work - look around and see - just their prices can be more expensive if you don't want to spend so much.

I don't know about the going rate in your area, especially because I'm from Australia, but having worked in the business a little, I'd say they don't sound that bad. It's a lot looking from the outside, but remember you're paying for a lot more work behind the scenes when it comes to editing etc. That takes a huge chunk of time! Especially if the photographer has their own studio, you're paying for all that equipment (which isn't cheap!) as well as their creative talents.
smiles.gif

Short Version: Yes, there should be a BIG difference if you're not a photographer yourself. You've got lighting, editing, creative direction + styling and the like. You don't have to go to an established professional for great shots though and just be sure to do your research whichever way you go.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm basically looking for nice shots of myself but glamour or pin-up style. In the end I might end up splurging anyway and get a professional... I found a local photographer who will charge $375 but that also includes hair and makeup so I guess that is a fair price, even though I still think it's a bit pricy.

I have always wanted nice pics of myself though. I have always wanted to know what I looked like "at my best" with the best photographer, makeup, hair, everything etc.