Is this cruel?

Folie

Where I live, there's a ton of stray cats that roam the streets. I was in my backyard. My next door neighbor asked if I saw any kittens in my yard, I said no. Anyway, after talking for awhile, I found out they were feeding stray kitten and all left. The found one in the yard next to them with two broken back legs. They're not sure if it's broken or if the kitten's paralyzed. Anyway, I said are you taking it to the vet. They said no. I said why don't you give it to the ASPCA. I think they do free health care. They said they're going to do that. I went in my house. Do you think it's cruel to take in an animal like this knowing you're not going to take it to the vet?

obscuria

It would seem like an obvious yes. Animals shouldn't unneccesarily suffer and people that can't make it right should give the animal to an organization that can help it. It's cruel to do nothing when you know something is in pain.

abbyquack

I personally could not watch a stray cat suffer. I feel that if it were to come into my knowledge, I am responsible for getting it help, whether handing it over to the humane society, petsmart, or whatever. But, someone who deals w/ so many strays (like your neighbor) may just think they are a dime a dozen and not worth getting help. Maybe if you volunteered to take it over for them, they'd feel a bit more pressure to get it help? I wish I had a good answer about this!

JULIA

Obviously they've taken an interest in the kitten's well-being, they should go the extra mile to ensure it is in tip-top shape. Absolutely, it's cruel to force an animal to remain in pain/injured while there are a plethora of organizations that would be willing to give the kitten proper medical care and, if it can be saved, a home.

If they aren't looking to take the initiative, maybe you could help them along. Find a non-profit organization or a no-kill pet shelter that would be willing to take the stray in and pass the information on to them.

That's really sad. That poor kitten shouldn't be forced to live in that sort of condition when help is readily available.

Meisje

They are lazy motherf**kers. Animals are not toys.

You should make sure they take the kitten to the ASPCA, or take it yourself --- otherwise it might starve/dehydrate to death. You should also make any spay/neuter/release program in the area aware of the strays... they will catch them, fix them and release them so that the problem doesn't multiply. I mean, ideally they'd find homes, but depending on how feral they are that might not be an option.

blondie711

call animal control! report animal neglect if they have taken it into their home & you believe it is suffering. i feel ill just reading this.
i take care of a small (6) feral cat colony. they were here on my property when i bought the lot & built my house. i have trapped every one of them, had them neutered/spayed, tested for feline aids/leukemia, & rabies vaccines. i do not interact with them, although i do put out food & water, along with shelter in severe winters. i just cannot believe what people do in the name "helping" (i mean them, not you). now that you know this is happening, please make the call.
ok..i'm gonna get off my soapbox now..sorry, i just feel that strongly about these kind of things.

JULIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie711
call animal control! report animal neglect if they have taken it into their home & you believe it is suffering.

I don't think these people can be held to any legal standards since they won't be considered the rightful owners of the animal.

Folie

I call an organization, will they get into legal trouble? I don't want them to get in trouble. I also wanted to ad, I don't think they can afford vet care, but I'm still not sure why they won't turn it over to the ASPCA or some other organization.

obscuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folie
I call an organization, will they get into legal trouble? I don't want them to get in trouble. I also wanted to ad, I don't think they can afford vet care, but I'm still not sure why they won't turn it over to the ASPCA or some other organization.

If it's a stray, they won't get into legal trouble, but it needs to be called in.
If they refuse to hand it over, then they are admitting to now owning the cat, which they should get in trouble for if they aren't caring for it properly and just letting it suffer. Not being able to afford vet care isn't a good enough excuse. They need to think about what is best for the animal and not about their desires to keep something they can't afford.

Animal cruelty/neglect angers me like no other. They can't help themselves, so someone else has to, even if it get's you stuck in a sticky situation with your neighbors.

Lauren1981

i don't know if cruel is the word i would use. more like "wtf?!". i personally wouldn't take in ANY animal without taking it to the vet first even if there no existing injuries to it. i don't really understand the point in them doing that.

LMD84

yes it's very cruel!
angry.gif
that poor kitty must be in so much pain and they won't do anything. and if the care is free what is stopping them? horrible people
ssad.gif

Mabelle

that is absolutely revolting.
call your local spca or the humane society.
im assuming that since its legs are injured hes not getting around well, so hell be easy to find?

MzzRach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meisje
They are lazy motherf**kers. Animals are not toys.

You should make sure they take the kitten to the ASPCA, or take it yourself --- otherwise it might starve/dehydrate to death. You should also make any spay/neuter/release program in the area aware of the strays... they will catch them, fix them and release them so that the problem doesn't multiply. I mean, ideally they'd find homes, but depending on how feral they are that might not be an option.

What she said. If you are not able to take the cat to the ASPSCA or the other party is not willing to, please call animal control so the cat can be picked up. They are not "taking care" of this poor cat by any means. Kitty needs to see a vet straightaway!!

Folie

I called a local pet rescue and they said they would send someone over, but I'm not sure if someone came or not. I can't exactly ask them.

nebbish

I wouldn't have been feeding the strays to begin with. I'd have rounded them all off & taken them to the ASPCA. It's not fair that someone was cruel and let these kittens, or even just the pregnant mother, roam the streets alone. Buut at the same time, not directly your responsibility.

Folie

So, I heard through the "grapevine" that people came to their house and they said they didn't have any. The people said if they find any that they would be willing to give them free help and them some address of free clinics for animals. Thye later took the kitten to one. It was put to sleep because it was paralyzed.

enigmatic

That's a shame that it didn't make it.
ssad.gif
I work with several organizations here that rescues cats, specifically strays. If someone knowingly lets an animal suffer, it is cruel. We see a lot of animals come through that could have been saved if someone had reacted sooner.

I just don't see an excuse not to help, honestly. There are organizations and clinics everywhere that will take cats in for free and help them.

Folie

I think my neighbors had good intentions, but my mom was on the phone with someone and they were the neighbors told them the cat was screaming all night. So, I have no idea why they didn't bring it in on their own. I'm starting to wondering if it was screaming at night, I called the rescue in the morning, why it wasn't screaming when they came (the time is unknown to me). I think, but don't know, maybe the cat died in their basement.