Is this "normal"

Copper_Sparkle

Hi all,

Just a quick question for something that's been slightly irking me. I was recently hired as a part-time assistant manager for a popular company that sells makeup and skincare. I make $8.50 an hour and work 25 hours a week.

Is this typical for a PT AM position? It just seems weird since I made $7 as a part-time regular sales associate.... and that was with my first retail job almost 10 years ago!
th_dunno.gif

Since then I have a total of 4 years retail exp and 5 years non-retail exp. in supervisory type position.

Copper_Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
Did you try to negotiate your salary when they extended the job offer?

It had been a few years since I'd had a retail position and she seemed to imply that it was due to it being a "low traffic" location. I just can't seem to fathom that an assistant manager position could be barely more than a dollar beyond what I'd made as a part-time regular sales person almost a decade ago :confused:

I'm supposed to open and close the store by myself and supervise other associates and it just doesn't seem like a fair compensation for what they are asking. She never told me I'd have to do so much of the paperwork nor open and close by myself when we went over my job description... both of which I'd be fine with if I didn't feel like I was making a the salary of a regular salesperson
ssad.gif

tarteheart

Honestly, it sounds pretty low. And if it's too low by your standards, then it's definitely too low no matter what!

LineausBH58

I use to work for TBS in Jersey... I was a PT Key holder... and I made $10 that was back in 2000.... that is TOOO low!! I think for 25hours open and closing... NOW with your exp no LESS than $10.50 to $11.... I would try to renego!!! esp since the duties are more than what she told you.... good luck... and BE FIRM!!

Copper_Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineausBH58
I use to work for TBS in Jersey... I was a PT Key holder... and I made $10 that was back in 2000.... that is TOOO low!! I think for 25hours open and closing... NOW with your exp no LESS than $10.50 to $11.... I would try to renego!!! esp since the duties are more than what she told you.... good luck... and BE FIRM!!

I know.. that amount is exactly what I was expecting. This chick who hired me also scheduled me to close alone with another new person (regular associate) on my FOURTH day with no training. I had to tell the other assistant manager "uh... wtf" and they turned around and took away an hour from my schedule so the second assistant could come in and close with me.

It's bonkers.

I know the answer... I'm being screwed, but, just in case... might there be any sort of validity to her excuse that it's a tiny store with low traffic? :confused:

Thanks so much for responding, btw. I have this knot in my stomach because I know what to do, but, I think she's just a very sucky manager and will tell me too bad.

The "Now Hiring" sign in the window for two months is making lots of sense
ssad.gif

shabdebaz

I think that is way too low as well, especially for the NYC area, where salaries in general are higher. The "low traffic" thing should have no bearing on how much you get paid! That's not your problem! They should just keep less people on the floor if they are low traffic, not give you a lower pay!

MisStarrlight

I worked in the worst VS Beauty in the NYC/LI region-actually the worst in the Northeast I think (lowest volume, never made goals, worst management, etc) and made like $9 as a zone manager & the lead sales made $11 so the low volume excuse has no validity.

The only way I could see justifying that low of pay for that position & w/ that experience in the NYC area would be if it was some no-name/just starting boutique or something.

If you're hurting for a job, take it for now, but keep looking....especially w/ holiday coming up, like everyone will be hiring. Something better will come along.

hammontre

I'm a little late to this post, but just wanted to comment that I disagree - I think the pay sounds about right, comparing it to when I worked retail. The highest I EVER made in retail was $7.15 an hour, and that was as a full time assistant manager after two years of employment at the same company. Other than that job, I always made close to minimum wage, with annual tiny raises. And my retail jobs were usually managerial or supervisory-type positions. I made $6.50 an hour in Manhattan as a department supervisor in one of the major record stores in the village - that was in 1999, but from what I hear the pay hasn't gone up much since then.

You always get screwed with hourly pay. I'm a lawyer now - 19 years of education and insane amounts of debt - and I make $20 an hour working full time. And believe me, my job requires a ridiculous amount of work and responsibility. (I do plan to move on to a better-paying job once I complete the post-grad program I am in now.) I'd rather make the $8.50 an hour without the student loans to pay off.

fishx3

As a (ex)part-time keyholder in a store that sells the EXACT same things you described, I made $8.50 with commission and bonus'.

It actually does sound quite low. As an assistant manager, at least for the store I worked at, mine was paid around $9.75-$10. Of course this is all in CND, so I don't know how it really works in NYC. :\