It it ever going to end???

X_SiN_X

Everytime I come in here I become more and more alarmed at the rate these counterfeiters are producing this fake 'makeup'

One by one they are fixing all the flaws and it's becoming extremely hard to sort the real from the fake.

I have been to so many websites that are selling these items, and they aren't small site's, some are very large and reputable sites, and no one would ever question the authenticity of their products.

Before too long this fake sh*t will move to retail stores off the internet and then what happens?

i really think MAC needs to do something about this, and I don't buy for one second that it would be too hard, or cost too much, the cost honestly wouldn't be a problem for Estee Lauder, and just like Louis Vuitton and other high end/Designer Brands the sale of the counterfeit makeup would halt quite a bit if they would take some sort of action to stop it... But no one is scared to sell it, it's common knowledge that MAC doesn't care and they are taking full advantage of it.

Remember when all the fake Louis Vuitton products were on eBay? That all stopped when LV started working with VERO and people had to prove their items were authentic before they could list... It has gone back downhill I have to admit but for quite some time there was stuff all LV bags etc on eBay.

I'm just really annoyed, so many of us have spent thousands on MAC cosmetics and they just don't seem to care about this counterfeit crap that could be harmful even deadly, they don't care enough about US to atleast TRY to stop some of the factory's in China that are producing this stuff.

Fair enough if they try and fail, but I honestly think they owe it to us and other loyal MAC customers to atleast give it a shot...

You know some MAC stores completely play down the counterfeit problem too, and that annoys me more than anything, if you're not going to try to fix the problem then atleast make people aware and educate them on what to look for, because you know this is gonna end bad... Someone will be left terribly disfigured, blind or dead even... And then it will just be too late.

End rant
th_dunno.gif

Xqueeze_me

There are a few members here, including me, who wrote to MAc regarding the fake MAC shite that's flooding eBay and online cosmetic websites. Unfortunately, the respond are always along the lines of "eBay (or the particular website with fake MAC) is not one of our accounts so we can't do anything about it". I also don't understand why they won't stop it. It would definitely cost them financially but I reckon they just don't want their hands "dirty". Sure it will take ages but if they do try, I'm sure they can get the results like LV.

If only MAC is as hardworking as LV in trying to get rid of most counterfeit products... Easier said than done, I suppose.

sharkbytes

Don't get me wrong, I'm disgusted by the amount of fakes out there as well, but the best way to combat that is to buy directly from MAC. I realize that not everyone has a counter nearby, but there's always ordering from the website and/or asking someone to do a custom purchase. To answer your question, I think that's the reason MAC doesn't do anything about it. There are so many ways to get your hands on authentic MAC products, you know? They don't have an incentive to threaten these folks, because it's really the responsibility of ebay to have stricter makeup policies. I think it sucks too, to be honest, that there is no recourse for a seller except negative feedback.

redambition

there's only a few things that we, as consumers, can do.

1. report the counterfeit items we find to ebay.
2. email ebay and explain to them how we feel about them letting through so many counterfeit listings.
3. email MAC and Estee Lauder giving them examples of counterfeit items found online.
4. continue to use this forum to try and find and out the counterfeit items to each other.

the counterfeit situation has really worsened in the past year or so. it used to be some eye shadows, blushes and the like that were really obvious. now it has become harder and harder to tell if something is fake and the range has exploded.

the reason? the counterfeiters have seen a way to eke money out of the market from those who don't know or don't care. as long as there is that knowledge gap (or that "i don't care if it's fake" attitude), it will continue.

coachkitten

I did e-mail ebay about this seller. I just think that it is such crap for this seller to say "Bid with confidence" when their items are fake. It is so frustrating and I always want to let the bidder(s) know that the item they are bidding on is fake.

Jinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbytes
Don't get me wrong, I'm disgusted by the amount of fakes out there as well, but the best way to combat that is to buy directly from MAC. I realize that not everyone has a counter nearby, but there's always ordering from the website and/or asking someone to do a custom purchase.

Maybe in the US or UK it's like that, but a lot of countries don't even have a national MAC site to order from. I can't order from the UK one for instance, and we don't have one in Denmark. I am lucky enough to live within driving distance of a MAC counter, but we don't get all the collections.

I guess I could do a CP, but it can be a hassle unless you know someone. With ebay, you have some protection if the seller decides he/she just feels like taking your money without sending the product.

I really feel for the honest ebay sellers who are getting hurt by this. They are being undercut by ebayers who sell fakes, and people are getting more and more scared to buy on ebay. Sad really
ssad.gif

mizuki~

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachkitten
It does totally suck. Especially since Ebay is limiting the number of Authentic MAC items that some good sellers can list. While others can list shit like this:

MAC Heatherette Shadow Shimmer Palette NIB - eBay (item 200277642925 end time Nov-23-08 15:45:08 PST)

Yeah because we all know that the MAC heatherette line had a palette with 6 shadows. Um okay!

Oh lord! Fake Heatherette too?? I just messaged the seller and asked if this was 100% authentic MAC. I know it's fake lol I just want to see what a seller selling obvious fake mac would say..

stacylynne

My advise is stop shopping on ebay for MAC products. Go to MAC instead so you know for sure the product is 100% auth.

For Pigments, feel free to split w/ 2-3 friends.

I don't mean to come off as a B, but I see ppl posting fake makeup products from all lines, If you went to the original manuf. in the first place, you wouldn't have to worry about fakes or complain that you got ripped off.

In life if something is too good to be true, it usually is. EX: cheap prices for piggies & brushes.

Again, feel free to split products w/ friends so it's cost effective for everyone

sharkbytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinni
Maybe in the US or UK it's like that, but a lot of countries don't even have a national MAC site to order from. I can't order from the UK one for instance, and we don't have one in Denmark. I am lucky enough to live within driving distance of a MAC counter, but we don't get all the collections.

I guess I could do a CP, but it can be a hassle unless you know someone. With ebay, you have some protection if the seller decides he/she just feels like taking your money without sending the product.

I really feel for the honest ebay sellers who are getting hurt by this. They are being undercut by ebayers who sell fakes, and people are getting more and more scared to buy on ebay. Sad really
ssad.gif

That's a shame...perhaps there's some way to let MAC corporate know that they really ought to have an international website. Even if they can't put a counter or a store everywhere, there should AT LEAST be the option to order online. Maybe if enough people email them and put the word out, they'll do something about it? Most companies ship worldwide, I'm astounded that MAC doesn't. This is news to me, and I've been using MAC for yeaaaaaaaars!

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylynne
My advise is stop shopping on ebay for MAC products. Go to MAC instead so you know for sure the product is 100% auth.

For Pigments, feel free to split w/ 2-3 friends.

I don't mean to come off as a B, but I see ppl posting fake makeup products from all lines, If you went to the original manuf. in the first place, you wouldn't have to worry about fakes or complain that you got ripped off.

In life if something is too good to be true, it usually is. EX: cheap prices for piggies & brushes.

Again, feel free to split products w/ friends so it's cost effective for everyone

not everyone has that option. for example - pigments aren't available in all countries - some only get the LE ones with the collections (IF they get the collection.) i can tell you for a fact that there are permanent, non-pro pigments available in the USA that are not available here, not even in the pro store.

for items such as this many of us have no choice but to either ebay, request a CP or try to buy off an individual on a makeup site. all of them come with risks.

Jinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition
not everyone has that option. for example - pigments aren't available in all countries - some only get the LE ones with the collections (IF they get the collection.) i can tell you for a fact that there are permanent, non-pro pigments available in the USA that are not available here, not even in the pro store.

Not to mention that some countries don't even have MAC stores, counters, or websites they can order from.
shockt.gif

mizuki~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuki~
Oh lord! Fake Heatherette too?? I just messaged the seller and asked if this was 100% authentic MAC. I know it's fake lol I just want to see what a seller selling obvious fake mac would say..

I got a reply:
"[FONT=arial,sans-serif]These are liquidation closeouts, I cannot guarantee the authenticity of any item as I am not affiliated nor manufacture for MAC, if you have any doubts I prefer you not bid to avoid buyers remorse later... thanks for your question."

So this is what people selling fakes would say...pretty clever
[/FONT]