It's amazing how much your life can change in 10 months.

MissMarley

Last August, my dad came up to visit me the day before my birthday and told me he was leaving my mom after 29 years of marriage. He said it was that or kill himself.

Two weeks later, he proposed to the woman he'd been seeing behind my mom's back. She turned him down, since he was cheating on her too.

Lots of drama later, the divorce was final, I thought I handled it fairly well and stayed on good terms with both my parents, although it was a pretty nasty shock- I had no idea my father was unhappy, it seemed like it came out of the blue.

Then last night:

I asked my mom about my dad's previous marriages, that he had just now told me about. He didn't answer me when I asked if there were children in those marriages- I'm an only child, and I wanted to know if I might have half-siblings, but he wouldn't answer.

Guess what I found out when I asked my mom?

I sort of have a sibling. From my dad's first marriage. A sister. Although he's never seen her since she was a baby, and he terminated his parental rights when the first wife and and he divorced so she could marry another man.
My mom doesn't even know her name. She's pretty sure this girl knows about me, she's about 9 years older than I am. My grandmother kept in contact with her. I guess you could call her my half-sister. At least his name is on her birthday certificate and on mine. But she's not, really.

Because he's not my dad. Some anonymous sperm donor is.

My dad had a vasectomy after his first marriage because he was afraid to pass on his genetic traits to anyone else. Because my grandmother is an acute paranoid schizophrenic who spent years in a mental hospital. And I thought she just traveled sometimes. Or was sort of out of it- but no, that was the heavy drugs she's been on since I've been alive. Oh, and I had a great-aunt that I never knew about because she killed herself due to schizophrenia.

My mom really wanted a baby. So they used a sperm donor. And she told me all this last night. My dad isn't my biological dad. My grandmother is a paranoid schizophrenic who has spent the majority of her life drugged to the gills.

Is it normal that I'm feeling true shock? Like this can't be real? I was a part of a tiny, slightly dysfuncational nuclear family- mom, dad, and me. Now it's much more complicated, and I guess always has been, I just was the only one who didn't know.

It's amazing how much your life can change in 10 months.

Blushbaby

Awww you poor thing. I'd been in total shock too. I'm sorry you're having to go through this.

I don't even know what advice to give you (((hugs)))

Smiles7

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this! Although so many things were kept from you and you are in shock (as you should be...as anyone would be), it doesn't change the wonderful person you are or the relationships you have with your parents. Take it easy hun...

Macnarsandlove

I am so sorry you have to go thru this. parents dont always know best. just know you can talk to ppl or a therapist. This is way to much to handle in the short amount of time. Hope everything gets better for you.

nunu

I am so sorry
th_hug.gif

gigglegirl

wow....I cannot imagine all the emotions you've had to experience in the span of less than a year.

I'm sorry you have so much to deal with, I'm sending you good vibes.

LMD84

woah. i think it's completely normal that you are in total shock because i think i would be too. you seem very calm with the way you are dealing with it so well done for being so strong.

i don't really have any advice other than stay strong. your family loves you no matter how you were made and who they really are. and i don't think you're alone in any way because i think many people have some kinds of family issues - they just keep it secret.
grouphug2.gif

joey444

Wow, that's alot to take in in such a short amount of time. I don't have any advise but I am definitely wishing you the best and you have a lot of support from all of us here!

blazeno.8

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through all of this. It really is a shock when you find out that things in your family aren't the way you thought they were. And even though he's not your biological father, he's the one who really wanted to take care of you and raise you. If you're worried about medical problems from the donor's family, I think that they would have had to disclose that information before they donated.

sweatpea559

I can totally sympathize with you. About a year and a half ago I was just minding my own business checking my myspace when I saw a message from the older looking man. At first I was like... eww he's hitting on my in a myspace message... well turns out it is my father who I haven't seen in 17 years because he tried to kill my mom and we ran! He said are you so and so born on this date and this hospital in this city... and I am. I lied to him though and said no. Crazy shit right? I agree with the person who said most people have weird family stuff. All of my friends have crazy stories too. That's just how life is these days apparently. =/

Well I hope you're ok. I'm totally not an emotional person but you may be so I can't really imagine how you're feeling other than the shock. Things will all work out though!

Mabelle

Oh mercy! I'm sorry to hear you're just finding all of this out.

Shock, i would say is a VERY normal feeling to have right now.

Everyone's family is crazy to a certain degree. I mean, your just finding out about it now, so i'm sure it all seems so overwhelming. My dad's family is really dysfunctional. I've just known about it since i was little.

chiquilla_loca

I'm so sorry for you, that's a lot to process...
th_hug.gif

Most family secrets are found out sooner or later...
~Sending lots of
heart.gif
& support your way~

foxxylatina07

Aww man that's a very shocking thing to find out. I'm sorry that you had to find out this way and if I had words of wisdom I would pass them on to you. I can tell you this though a father is not the one who made you but the one who raised you. I hope that things work out for you in the end.

Hugs from me to you hun.
th_hug.gif

kyoto

My heart goes out to you. Being in shock is definitely a normal reaction to this situation. Life is difficult for sure and the one thing that I would advise is to talk to someone, whether they be professional or just a close friend. You need to express those feelings whatever they are, and don't keep them bottled up inside.

girloflowers

Hey,
i totally understand why you're in shock, thats normal... It really sucks when you find stuff out about your family you weren't expecting, especially when it;s something like that. Seriously heavy. But like the other girls said- You're still an awesome, loving, generous woman, and I hope things look up for you
smiles.gif

Pnk85

It is absolutely normal to be in shock over everything!

When I graduated from highschool I found out that the man who I always thought was my biological father for as long as I can remember isn't. My mom met my brother's dad when she was 6 or 8 months pregnant with me. I felt shocked and betrayed because all my life I despised him for being a dead beat dad & my mom would always push me into having a better relationship with him. Everyone in the family knew except for my brother & all my younger cousins.

It was really hard on me at first but now I'm doing better
winks.gif

TISH1124

Wow...I am shocked and it is not even my story....I hope you feel better soon....I am sure it will take sometime to process all of this...and be able to accept it....Big Huggsss go out to you