job interview makeup

ivorygleam

So... I'm going for an interview on Thursday Sep 27... for a new position/new company within a Industrial Design company... What type of makeup should I wear? None, natural, shimmery, only lips, etc?

I've never thought about this before... I'm a little older now, and I finally realize that making a good impression *does* matter.

me_jelly

First of all, good luck! I'm sure you'll do really well =)

My personal opinion is that you should always be more conservative, that seems to be the safe way to go (since this is not an interview for an artistic/creative position).

I personally wouldn't do anything with shimmer/glitter, because it could look unprofessional.

I would use a neutral blush (and use a light hand, you just want a natural flush of color), a more matte neutral (i.e. neutral pink) lipstick and skip the gloss all together - for eyes, just simple defined eyeliner (make sure it's more natural and subtle) with mascara - if you want to use eyeshadow, you an try a very simple one color wash in a neutral color (i.e. beige/taupe/brown) or use a light wash color with a slightly darker shade lightly in the crease to give definition to the eyes

Oh and make sure you have really groomed eyebrows, because that makes a really big difference to the frame of your face and eyes - and also well-groomed brows, in my opinion, tells people that you groom yourself well and care about hygiene.

Hope that helps!

Lipglass*Lover*

*~*Personally, I would do a "natural polished" look. I agree with me_jelly about not wearing any shimmery colors. I would just do a neutral eye, with light blush and a sheer gloss. This way, you still look professional, but not overdone. You want your makeup to highlight your best features without going overboard. I will try to find an FOTD that would be an example of this. Good luck!!!*~*

*~*ETA: I just found a couple of looks that may help you!!! HTH!!!*~*

http://www.specktra.net/showthread.p...light=mod+doll

http://www.specktra.net/showthread.php?t=81147

ivorygleam

thanks to you both!
smiles.gif

i have all the colors from the second look, i think i might give that a try tomorrow at work!

panda0410

Neutrals are the best bet - never wear anything shimmery or shiny to one of these type of job interviews - and I totally agree with me_jelly - conservative is the best way.

DONT wear a shiny lipgloss either - sometimes that can be seen as unprofessional and honestly employers like to see smooth finishes - a satin or matte lipstick in a NEUTRAL or other non offensive colour is widely accepted, never use a frost! For some employers it is EXPECTED that women will wear lipstick to compliment the professional projection of the company. In my experience lipglosses have always been a NO GO, and also naked lips which are unlined or those women NOT wearing a lipstick usually results in comments regarding grooming and personal presentation - so make sure you wear a lippie!

Lightly with the blush - again neutral or anything complimetary to your skin tone and try to get a matte or satin finish, nothing shiny or shimmery.

Eyeshadow - dont wear frosts! Too shiny! The other mistake I often see is people with colour so high above the crease you couldnt climb it with a ladder.... dont go there...LOL!!

Dont line your eyes too heavily with liner - heavy liners can be associated with poor professional image and can result in generic sterotyping of applicants - and once its done you cant take it back!! Heavy black eyeliners are usually a no go area - stick with a brown and avoid overlining or really thick upper lashlines because this CAN look quite trashy to interviewers.

Fake lashes are way too much for an interview!! Avoid them.

Always wear mascara - always, always!! Brown or black, doesnt matter. Well groomed brows are a must!

For the love of god make sure your foundation/powder is the right colour - nothing worse than horribly applied or wrong colour - it just screams that you have been lazy, rushed (ie unprepared!!) or just plain unprofessional! And take some blot paper with you - you dont want any sheen if you have been waiting for a while, are hot or are anxious! It ruins the look and can give away personal insecurities if they see you have been anxious - and believe me, employers DO look for these things.

No nailpolish is better too - better to go for a nice CLEAN manicured looked and get them buffed instead. Natural nails give employers an open honest impression, especially if they are well manicured and the way we look after our hands tells other people a lot about you!!

Make sure you wear a perfume, but nothing too heavy or with too many base notes. Wear something light and invigorating, but nothing that overpowers the room, heavy or overpowering scent can really put other people off.

Hope this helps
smiles.gif

frocher

Natural finish foundation, set with powder. Well groomed brows, soft pink cheeks, a wash of a neutral color on the lids, mascara, and a soft lip in a rose shade. As the ladies above stated avoid shimmer and shine, a good rule of thumb is that if you find anything you are wearing the least bit distracting ditch it.

ivorygleam

alright ladies... thank you all for your solid advice: my first interview is tmr... so we'll see how things go!

ivorygleam

*squee*
got the job, got the job!
i am very sad to be leaving my current job, great awesome people... but i need a change.

Latest posts