Job Process

fireatwill

i was wondering what process you have to go through to be a MAC freelance (or store) employee. Do you have to have any other experience? What is required?

mellz

I talk to the MAs at my local MAC and quite a few of them, including the manager never had any formal training. The interview process basically consists of a face-to-face interview and a make-up application. Some kind of work experience is 99% required though.

fireatwill

Thanks
smiles.gif
So say if you work at hot topic for two year and then want to go to MAC when your 18? Is that enough work experience?

mellz

I would say that's more than enough. Customer service experience is customer service experience.
smiles.gif
Good luck!

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireatwill
Thanks
smiles.gif
So say if you work at hot topic for two year and then want to go to MAC when your 18? Is that enough work experience?

I'm sure that would be enough. They want someone that knows the basic in make up but also could sell it and deal with the public. :p

MAC_Pixie04

Question: Do you have to have a portfolio? I was told that it was just a face2face interview, group interview, and a make up demo in front of an artist. Cuz frankly, I can't afford to put together a professional portfolio at this point in life.

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
Question: Do you have to have a portfolio? I was told that it was just a face2face interview, group interview, and a make up demo in front of an artist. Cuz frankly, I can't afford to put together a professional portfolio at this point in life.

Not really but it doesn't hurt. :p

d_flawless

i would do one, or at least gets some pics sent it so they can see you're passionate, as well as remember who you are...
plus, it may give you an edge if others don't

MACGoddess

A portfolio is a HUGE plus... I think that is what might have gotten me in the door at MAC. I just did makeup on some of my friends, and took clear good pictures myself. I had it printed up at a print shop, had it bound in black spiral, and turned it in with my app.

When I handed it to the MA at MAC to turn in, he took one look at even just the outside and said "WOW! Very professional!" And was really impressed with the inside pics of the work.

Beautiful1

I Believe That I Am Going To Put A Portfolio Together. Using My Fabulous Camera And Taking MacGoddess Idea And Going To A Print Shop And Having It Bounded.
winks.gif

fashiondiva

Re: Portfolio or not

I just got an on the spot interview at Mac yesterday!! I first prayed before I called. Then I called and asked for the manager and asked her if she had any immediate openings. She told me yes and to come down and ask for her to fill out an application. I went down in all black of course (to look the part) and had my eyes done up in a smokey brown. I also had my resume and a letter stating why I would be the perfect candidate for MAC. She then told me that everyhting looked great and that she would do a schedule that would accomodate me. She offered a part- time 15 hour a week position(only because I still have a full time job) and told me if I wanted more hours , she would have a full time position in April. It might have been because I put negotiable under hours and salary, which showed flexability.

Well anyway, I guess my point is that a portfolio is not neccessary, but it may make you stand out if they are not hiring at the time .

But its not needed to get into the door, if you deal directly with the manager and be prayerful and believe that they find favor in you, the door may open immediately.

Prayer works! I have my makeup demo in front of her and the regional manager tommorow!! All of this was instantaneous and with in three days!!

I hoped this helped someone!!God Bless!