Job Stress and Worries

SARAHheartsMAC

I have been working as an English teacher in a secondary school since September this year teaching 11-16 year olds.

I thought that teaching was what I always wanted to do but now I'm doing it I don't feel that it is for me. The students behaviour is awful there is no respect, we don't have a line manager so we basically make the syllabus up as we go along and with all the extra work at home I'm working 12 hour days for not that much money or reward.

I have always loved beauty and cosmetics and feel that although it would be less money than I am used to, I would be happy working in that area.

There is a job available for Urban Decay, I think I would be perfect for the job. However, family and friends all think I'm mad for even thinking about leaving teaching. My other half says that I am stupid for thinking about leaving but to him it's all about the money.

I am now torn, I don't want to leave the school in the lurch but I can't see the job getting any better-do I risk being happy to be skint for the rest of my life?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks xxx

Zoffe

I'm still in school so I have no experience to share but honestly I think you should do what feels right for YOU and what YOU will be happy doing! There's no point in working 12 hours a day if it's not something you enjoy.
And if you don't like teaching I don't think you should keep doing it - it's no fun having a teacher who doesn't like his/her job
winks.gif

SARAHheartsMAC

Thanks,

I agree, I have always thought that I would LOVE teaching but in reality it's stressful and unenjoyable (for me personally)

The other side of it is I have worked hard for the qualifications that if I leave teaching will no longer put to use. I suppose I will always have them though.

But then I think...will I like working in retail full time? I've worked in clothes stores before though and enjoyed it...

Darkness

I think you have to choose what is the best option for you, regardless of what anyone else thinks. Don't be swayed by other people's opinions, whether it be family, friends or boyfriends. Trust your own instincts.

You have given teaching a go and found out you don't like it that much, that's okay. As long as you don't mind the drop in salary and you can still get by, go for the Urban Decay job, eventually it might lead to better things. If it doesn't work out you could always go back to teaching. Good Luck.
winks.gif

Prinsesa

Maybe become a teacher at a make-up art school ? Or like creative art..etc. I think you will regret it if you resort to a full-time job because :

1. You worked your ass off in school, jeez how many years did it take to get your degree? license?
2. You're not used a minimum, retail wage
3. Think about working in retail...forever.

Right now, I know it's depressig but don't quit your teaching job first. Search opportunities..like I said maybe teaching at cosmetics school etc.

abbey_08

what about getting a job in a different school or teach a different age group? i imagine it is very hard to teach 11-16yr olds these days! what about trying at a junior school or a school that has a better disipline system?

ShugAvery2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsesa
Maybe become a teacher at a make-up art school ? Or like creative art..etc. I think you will regret it if you resort to a full-time job because :

1. You worked your ass off in school, jeez how many years did it take to get your degree? license?
2. You're not used a minimum, retail wage
3. Think about working in retail...forever.

Right now, I know it's depressig but don't quit your teaching job first. Search opportunities..like I said maybe teaching at cosmetics school etc.

add to that list

4. Because of the global economy RETAIL is not going to be a great industry to be in right now.
5. education is a more stable field

work is work. It's not always going to be "fun". You got to keep your ability to maintain your standard of living PRIORITY #1

As far as your challenges at school, you may want to begin to seek out teaching organizations and network to learn how to best execute your job. You're not the only one in this boat. Surely there is someone else who's been doing the job longer that may have some good tips/strategies for you.

Just because times get rough doesn't mean you have to quit! Hang in there young lady!

malteze_bubbleg

If you dont like what youre doing right now i think you should change jobs.....but keep on working as a teacher until you're sure that you can get anothjer job because you know how the economy is right now!!!!Also, have you thought of other ways of maybe changing your strategy to teaching these students? ...maybe a way that will make them interested. i dunno!!!!do you think youd like teaching a younger age group?

Personally i think you should apply for a job in a managerial position or at least apply for a job which will deff give you opportunities to prospect and get higher with time....because you have went to school and i know thats hard..all the studying and sacrifices it has.....and i think you deserve a well paid job...so make sure you think in long term views also, not just short term happiness.

Just think hard about what you really want. You have to make YOURSELF happy first...

TISH1124

Teachers have the hardest job I think these days. Such a important role to have with the least amount of benefits. Kids today just aren't like the kids we were growing up. I think many teachers today deserve a noble peace prize. My bff is a teacher and she really enjoys it...But it depends on the school and environment you are teaching in. I hope you make the right decision for you. Everyone IMO needs to do something they truly enjoy. Sometimes easier said than done...But I was never truly happy and stress free until I started working in the field that was truly my calling.

SARAHheartsMAC

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I know I have sacrificed a lot to get here been in Education up to being 21!
I would love to teach a younger age group but that would take at least another year of studying and after renting a house and buying a car I can't afford to live on a student loan
ssad.gif

I agree about the comments to do with working in retail, the economy etc but I have only ever worked part time in retail so I wouldn't really qualify for a managerial job at the moment.

I may have to stick it out, it does have a lot to do with the school though as a lot of the new teachers are finding it hard. Even the older ones can't control the kids!! I keep trying different strategies but I think it's the stress/workload more than the behaviour that's affecting me. At the moment I just can't imagine doing this for the rest of my life!! Like some others have said at the moment a jobs a job- I don't know-argh!!

xxx

Beauty Mark

I would try to find a different school before you call it quits on teaching. Teaching can vary widely from school to school.

Your days are long, but it might be because you have no established stuff to go off of. It might get easier and shorter if you know that you're always going to be teaching things in a certain order.

I think a new job is frustrating. I teach labs as part of my grad stipend, and my first two quarters- I hated it, honestly. It immensely helped that I got a good group of students during the summer and that I finally had a feel for what I was doing.

Do you have any profs you were close to when you were completing oyur teaching degree? They may have some ideas of what you should do or how you could handle things differently.

lafemmenoir

You know, I can't say I don't think of this everyday. I think it's a natural feeling. Education was something that was not optional growing up, it was instilled my whole life, now that I am working in said field, it feels quite empty. Sort of like, "Now what?" In addition, being a make up addict brings its own sort of lust with the collections, tutorials, FOTDs and all the people getting gigs for their skills, it's natural to want to give it a go.
Unfortunately, it's not so simple. The economy is quite tough and how much can one sell on a consistent basis? For example, will you have commission, benefits, etc. I wish I had an answer but I am in the same boat, I am trying to make a way to turn my job into something passionate and continue makeup on the side...Good luck

Pascal

Oh man I can totally relate to your problem here. I have been working in my fathers construction business for 6 years doing paper work and it's not what I truly want to do. I love make up, hair styling and glamour.... I wish I knew how to get to the job I really want. I'm lost just like you.. But I don't care about how much less I make, I want a job that I enjoy, so I know what your going throug... and you know what... YES work can be FUN it doesn't have to be MISERABLE like everyone elses job. Otherwise why do we work?? besides to pay our bills... what about our happiness does that not matter to us ???
th_cheerup.gif

BEA2LS

i'm in the same boat. i have a steady, stable job. i dont make great money but it is more than starting off in the beauty industry..
i decided for now to just stay where i am because i am not sure if i am ready to give my benefits, etc. just yet to follow a dream that might not work out.

blazeno.8

Well something that you might want to consider is being a tutor. Sure it's a job with a significant paycut, but in my experience, my students are very happy to work with me. They are in a situation where they know they need help or extra reinforcement with a given subject. I'm not fighting against them. Since it's one-on-one I can very quickly figure out what makes them tick and the best way to help them.

This is part of the reason why I promised myself that I would never work in a public school unless it's university level.

ginger9

It's a tough call and only you will be able to truly decide what will make you happy. Just keep in mind there is no job that doesn't have it's stresses and strains. Albeit, different and in varying degrees. I think being happy with what you do for a living depends on how you deal/view the cons and whether you think the pros out weight the cons/negatives.

I don't know what it's like in the US but when I worked in retail in Canada I had no benefits nor job security. That may be something to consider in a downturn economy.

Also how easy would it be to go back to teaching if you decided later on down the road you wanted to come back? If it's not a problem and they are always hiring it might make the decision easier. HTH good luck.