Joico K-pak and white flakies?

ashk36

I went and bought the shampoo and reconstructor in the beginning of January. I've used them several times, but I noticed I started to get white flakes and an itchy scalp! I've never had a dandruff problem, so it was really surprising. I parted my hair and I could see all these little white pieces no matter where I parted it. WTF? I've heard so many raves about this stuff. Not only was I getting flakes, but I really saw no difference in my hair. I figure I should give it longer to do SOMETHING, but my hair really feels no different when I use it. My friend said that the flakes may be from using it several days in a row, so I have been switching it up between Joico and Biosilk shampoo with Fekkai glossing conditioner. I don't see the big deal about Joico yet. Not at all. I'm pretty disappointed, I was hoping for SOME sort of change in my hair. Oh, and by the way, the consistency of the reconstructor is so weird! It feels almost like a cheap lotion with a lot of alcohol in it, doesn't feel like it would condition at all. I am still on the hunt for my HG shampoo and conditioner. I have very fine, straight, mid-back length, color treated blonde hair, and it is pretty dry and poofy no matter what I use. Suggestions would be awesome. And has anyone else had this problem?

obscuria

I get the flakes sometimes, but that's just because of winter. The Joico reconstructor is just awful. Right now I am using Biolage hydrating shampoo and Biolage conditioning balm as a deep conditioner and that works really well for me so you might want to give that a try.

ashk36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner
I was just about to order some of this stuff since it is so highly rated...I'm not sure whether I should now
ssad.gif

Yeah I'm not a fan. The reconstructor is just so weird in consistency. It's like yogurt sort of. The whipped kind. It's got a lot of air bubbles in it, and after you've run it through your hair you honestly can't tell there's even anything in it. Boo. I haven't tried all their products. Actually I got my mom some Joico products for Xmas, and aside from the shampoo and reconstructor, I also got her the intense hydrator and something else. Those I wouldn't mind trying, but the reconstructor sucks.

clslvr6spd

Kpak is only meant to be used 1-2x a month. Too much of Kpak will damage your hair.
I love it personally, but all hair is different. HTH
winks.gif

~whathehair~

I can't use Joico Color Endure Conditioner either. It made my scalp sore[even if I didn't let it touch my scalp], every time I tested it. I have used Redken Anti Snap & there are many other products that I use no problems. I have never felt anything like it. It was like some coating was on it separating the scalp hairs (like ROOT lift or something). Recently I thought I would use the conditioner for swatches to mix semi-permanent punky colours diluted. It also left an odd coating on them too despite rinsing.

MY PILLOW even hurt my scalp.

nettiepoo

I reccomend Redken Butter treatment leave in. I love its consistency its thick and what a good cond. --reconst. should be..u no wat i mean? Its in a gold big tube and theres also a shampoo and i think anormal conditioner as well. I like it a lot and i use it when my hair seems like it needs moisture and to contol my puffy frizz. I have colour treated blonde hair with dark red-brown underneath also natural curly and i straigten it at least 2-3 times per week.

hth!

Cinci

Quote:
Originally Posted by clslvr6spd
Kpak is only meant to be used 1-2x a month. Too much of Kpak will damage your hair.
I love it personally, but all hair is different. HTH
winks.gif

She is exactly right. KPak cisn't meant to be used daily. The Keratin in KPak can actualyl make hair more brittle if used too frequently.

My cousin is a hairdresser so I have been using and testing salon products since I was 13 (Eek, that's 16 years now!!!) I whad been bleaching my hair platinum blonde from the time I was 14 till 27.. So good shampoo has been a must have for me... The best shampoo and conditioner I have ever used is Pureology. I use the Hydrate Shampoo and Conditioner. The shampoo cleans very well, rinses perfectly clean without any build up, and does not dry out/damage my hair. It is also great for keeping your color from fading. The conditioner is amazing!!! Conditions wonderfully, leaves my hair silky and smooth and doesn't leave build-up or weight my hair down. It alwasy keeps my hair healthy looking no matter what abuse I put it through.. I use these two on a daily basis and swear by them. I've now added chocolate brown lowlights to my hair, and It's been 3 months since my last time at the salon and they still look fresh and have barely faded...

I have also used S-Factor Shampoo and Serious Conditioner.. This duo runs a VERY close second to Pureology.. Infact, their conditioner almost beats out pureology cause it smells sooo good lol...

purrtykitty

I actually had some sort of reaction to a Joico shampoo and conditioner (not KPak, though). My scalp got really itchy and flakey, so needless to say, I discontinued use.

Latest posts