July 4 makeup?

cno64

I plan to wear a red top on Sunday, most likely with accompanying red lip color.
I'm a little undecided on eye makeup, though. I've been getting compliments when I wear the plum/mauve eyeshadow I've been favoring lately, but I just don't know about red lips with even subtle purple-toned eye makeup.
My inclination is to go for taupes on the eyes, even though taupe is not quite as flattering to my [green] eye color as plums or mauves.
To me, the disharmony (is that even a word?) between the red and the purple would be distracting, and unflattering.
What do you think?

blazeno.8

I guess it really depends on the colors that you use and your skintone. I wore something like MAC Shale and a red lip several years ago. Or maybe you could go for gold and warm browns if you think that would be better with your eyes.

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeno.8
I guess it really depends on the colors that you use and your skintone.

I should have mentioned in my original post that I'm NW15, with bright green eyes, and very dark brown hair.
I recently bought both Shale and Velour, and LOVE them both. In fact, they're the very shades that have been getting me compliments on my eyes lately. I just can't quite convince myself that those colors would work with red lips.
Is there a trick to it?

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAddSparkles
Could you do a neutral eye with plum eyeliner?

That's a good idea!
Do you think it would work if I did neutral (grey or taupe) shadows and black liner on my top lids, and lined my lower lashes with a grayed plum, like Bobbi Brown Heather?