Just a highlight?

Curiosity

Sometimes I am rushed for time and I waswondering if a well blended highlight such as shroom could work, minus the eyeshadow.

Thanks in advance!

mekaboo

I think Era is the best highlight for us darker women...especially when time is a factor

frocher

Maybe a sheer wash of the color, well blended, would be better than just a highlight. I think it would look more polished.

claresauntie

I think just a highlight color looks as correct as a half-curled head of hair.

Sorry.
ssad.gif

AppleDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by claresauntie

Sorry.
ssad.gif

I agree with you. I noticed some women @ church doing that.
hmm.gif
It always looked silly to me.

Twinkle_Twinkle

If you were going to do just a highlight, I wouldn't use Shroom. I would use something very, very natural and closer to your complexion, like Texture. I also agree that an all over wash of color would be better than just a higlight. If you did a quick wash of color, then maybe you could use something really light like the highlighting shades that come in the brow kits.

MisStarrlight

I would also stay away from Shroom. Your pic is a bit washed out, but I feel like it would look kinda chalky on you.

If you're going for no shadow at all, maybe try a concealer a few shades lighter than you skin blended below your brows (and above if you wish)...It's a very natural highlight, and makes your brows look freshly groomed every time.

captodometer

Shroom was absolutely evil
th_remoteImage-61.gif
I know it gets rave reviews, but it's just not appropriate for darker skin tones. On me, it was kind of a ghostly white. Not an appealing look: I looked surprised or overcaffeinated. So step away from the Shroom!

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by captodometer
Shroom was absolutely evil
th_remoteImage-61.gif
I know it gets rave reviews, but it's just not appropriate for darker skin tones. On me, it was kind of a ghostly white. Not an appealing look: I looked surprised or overcaffeinated. So step away from the Shroom!

I love Shroom and I am NW45; I think it works really well for a highlight geneally because it is slightly warm and beigey rather than cool so it's not glarring. I just wouldn't suggest wearing it as a highlight all on it's own. It needs to be blended with something.

Curiosity

Thanks for the input. I was just wondering, seeing as I read in a magazine that a highlighter can be used on the browbone, alone, to open up eyes.

yummy411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiosity
Sometimes I am rushed for time and I waswondering if a well blended highlight such as shroom could work, minus the eyeshadow.

Thanks in advance!

I sometimes do this when i'm doing my super natural lool
smiles.gif
I use one of the select cover concealers blended well with a fluffly brush like the 217.. barely noticeable, but cleans up the brow and hides some of fine little hairs that are growing back in... its a shade lighter than my skintone so it's not noticeable.

you might want to look into a liquid illuminator... wet n wild sells some, smashbox.. to give a fingertip swipe of an illuminating glow to the brow bone, or a bronze color, something shimmery of your skintone, using your finger tip (for light application) or 217 brush that will give a sheer layer of illuminating color.. a color like shroom might be too harsh for a natural look alone.

yummy411

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
I would also stay away from Shroom. Your pic is a bit washed out, but I feel like it would look kinda chalky on you.

If you're going for no shadow at all, maybe try a concealer a few shades lighter than you skin blended below your brows (and above if you wish)...It's a very natural highlight, and makes your brows look freshly groomed every time.

oh here ya go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claresauntie

Sorry.
ssad.gif

i agree too!

blazeno.8

Whenever I wear just a highlight, I take a paint (like Bamboom) since they blend into the skin so evenly. The trick is just to take a little so that it doesn't look like a streak of, well... paint.

AfricanaEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeno.8
Whenever I wear just a highlight, I take a paint (like Bamboom) since they blend into the skin so evenly. The trick is just to take a little so that it doesn't look like a streak of, well... paint.

I completly agree....the Bamboom paint is a great highlighter and seems to do the same job as a concealer. There is also an eyeshadow called Bamboo that is a great neutral highlighter. I no longer use Vex, Ricepaper or Naked Lunch as my highlighters. They make me look too clownish! :eek2:

j_absinthe

When I do a WoC's makeup, I generally use a color that's lighter than their own skintone, but not too jarring-using Shroom on a NW45 just doesn't do it for me.

Depending on whether your a cool or warm WoC, I'd go with something a bit more on the bronzier side, something subtle but something that catches the light. Era and Grain work nicely on darker skintones IMO; Nylon, Ricepaper, Motif, and even-if you want to be a bit daring-Amber Lights on a more medium complexion.

If you want just a highlight though, go for something subtle.

Just my opinions though.

blazeno.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanaEyes
I completly agree....the Bamboom paint is a great highlighter and seems to do the same job as a concealer. There is also an eyeshadow called Bamboo that is a great neutral highlighter. I no longer use Vex, Ricepaper or Naked Lunch as my highlighters. They make me look too clownish! :eek2:

That's so funny, I thought I was going crazy when I gave away my Naked Lunch but it's good to know that I'm not the only one. I've kind of been on the search for the "perfect highlight" e/s color and whenever I recommend something that's not white-ish when talking to an MA, then I get corrected and they tell me to look at Arena again. :-/

AfricanaEyes

Oh yeah, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Vanilla pigment is a pretty good highlighter too.....especially with neutral colors like Woodwinked. A little goes a long way and it isn't SUPER white...it has great gold undertones that compliment the browone--not make it stand out.