Kind ways to dye your hair?

Verient

Is there any natural/non damaging ways to dye your hair? My hair is a very light brown and I'd like to either go dark chocolate brown or blonde with lots of highlights. Any ideas?

Mabelle

theres no way to lighten it without bleach. even sun it has some kind of bleach to it.

my suggestion would be henna (if you want to go darker). But ive heard this is a total bitch to get out, and im not sure how "accurate" the colours are. I think it might be a bit of a risk with the end colour. Check out lush's site, as they sell 4 colours of henna dye and have user feedback.
You could also just try a wash out dye like natural instincts. I used to use it and my hair felt very nice after.

shatteredshards

Anything that lightens your hair will damage it. There's no way to avoid that.

Going darker, henna is probably the best alternative, but you usually have to leave it in for a long time (plan on staying home for at least half the day), and it can be an absolute mess to get out - often it just has to be grown out, because using a commercial dye over it has the chance to cause major problems.

gildedangel

There are no truly kind ways of dying your hair; even henna will damage it a little bit. Bleaching it will not be kind to your hair, but if you go with henna, be prepared for it to not turn out the exact color that you want. Be sure to do lots of research before you use a henna. HTH!

xsnowwhite

demi permanant is probably the healthiest but you can only darken or change tone with demi. i dont reccomend henna at all because youre basically stuck with it and other dyes cant even remove it.

faifai

For darkening, a deposit-only color will be your best bet. Clairol makes one called Radiance Colorgloss that you can buy at Sally Beauty Supply stores. It is gentle and makes your hair very shiny.

Dreamergirl3

ITA w/faifai. Radiance Colorgloss is a great dye, I've used it in the past and it wasn't harsh on my hair, and my hair was very shiny afterward.

Drugstore wise, Natural Instincts is really good as well. It's a demi permanent I believe, and I've been using that recently. It won't lift hair but only add color. The drawback with Natural Instincts though is that the color will turn out darker than intended, so timing is important. You should find the color you want your hair to be and then pick a shade or two lighter then that.

Out of the two, I prefer Radiance because the color lasted a lot longer than Natural Instincts. However application of Natural Instincts is easier.

I dont ever really dye my hair
I did a few times though, my hair is light brown with some red it in, my natural color
I dyed it fire red one year and she had to make me blonde all the way.
it didnt really damage my hair too much until i went back to brown
my hair started to die on the ends so i cut about 8 inches off, lol yeah, my hair is super long!
but now its grown out and you really cant tell at all that i had red hair.
my best words would be wait 8 weeks before you dye again, unless your hair grows really fast because blonde is the fastest way to kill your hair off.
and after you start puttin high lights in it, its a never ending game, cause after awhile it starts lookin crazy and your natural hair color comes out
ah! what it is to be beautiful!