lace doily i knit for my MIL

persephonewillo

i know, i know... a doily. so old fashioned! she has them all over the house though... all crocheted.

her favourite colour is red. so i thought that for her birthday (which is today) i'd knit her her first red doily.

pardon the pins and the yellow kitchen towel in the background (which kind of makes the doily look rather orange when it's a lovely ruby red in real life). i took the photos while it was blocking. (blocking is a technique where you wet the wool project, pin it into shape, let it dry and voila! it stays the shape you pinned it in).

reddoily02.jpg

reddoily01.jpg

nursee81

very nice. I use to know how too knit but its been ages. My neighbor taught me when i was like 10.

Dahlia_Rayn

It's so pretty! My mom really like doilies too, it's cute, and I'll admit that I have a few! My sister crochets!

persephonewillo

thanks everyone.

yes, it was knit from the center outward. i improvised the edging. i got the main part of the flower from a shawl pattern (for those of you who knit, it's in A Gathering of Lace... the Feather and Fan round shawl).

i like it... i think i may make a similar one for my mum out of some white silk/cashmere yarn i have laying around.

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by persephonewillo
thanks everyone.

yes, it was knit from the center outward. i improvised the edging. i got the main part of the flower from a shawl pattern (for those of you who knit, it's in A Gathering of Lace... the Feather and Fan round shawl).

i like it... i think i may make a similar one for my mum out of some white silk/cashmere yarn i have laying around.

Silk/cashmere... yummy!

I am going to check out that shawl - thanks for that!
smiles.gif

MAC_Whore

That is so pretty. You are amazingly talented. I am trying to pick up the basics of knitting. I can cast on, knit and bind off, but I am purl-challenged. I can't even imagine the skill and patience that doily must have taken. Bravo!

fahllenangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursee81
very nice. I use to know how too knit but its been ages. My neighbor taught me when i was like 10.

haha me too! but i think i was 7, i was soooo into it

you did a great job!

persephonewillo

thanks again everyone
smiles.gif

(the silk cashmere yarn i mentioned earlier... i got it at colourmart.com. i don't know if any of you knitters/crocheters/weavers have been there. if you haven't, i recommend checking it out)

Latest posts