Lets talk sunscreen for darker skin tones (NC35 + )

sonaliagrawal

So I am NC40. I am one of those blessed with easily scarring skin!!! So I like to protect my skin with not just a moisturizer with a little SPF, but with an all out sunscreen on a daily basis.

I have the toughest time finding a good high SPF and high PPD (UVA ray protect) sunscreen that goes on completely clear and does not leave a white cast on my skin of any sorts. (like I mentioned I am NC40).

With summer almost here, I thought lets ask this WOC forum what they use.

Ones I have tried and did not work:
- US: Shisiedo 55 - too much white cast
- Euro: Avene Emulsion 50 - moderate white cast
- Euro: Boots Anti dark spots 30 and 50 - little white cast
- US: Banana Boat Sunwear 50 - no white cast, but discontinued for a couple of years

Please share your experience with what you use and like.

vintageroses

Hmm I've always used Clarins SPF 40 & i LOVE IT!
greengrin.gif
I don't see a white cast at all! :) & it makes your skin more radiant too! THey have it in tinted & in white! But they white one blends so well you don't get a white face later
tong.gif
I'm NC 45 & i use the white one sometimes!

sonaliagrawal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner
Yay great thread!

I was thinking of trying Boots Anti-Dark Spots SPF 50...but interesting that you tried this and didn't like, white cast is my biggest fear along with that slimey feeling eww...

Other that that there is always MAC Prep & Prime SPF 50 maybe?

I really do like the Boots one - very elegant finish, non drying (my skin is dry to normal), but it does leave a slight slight whiteness. I have been using it under foundation, and not hating the white cast, coz it is fairly minor.

Prep and prime dries me up way too much. Not good for my skin type.

jazmatazz

I like the Neutrogena Dry Touch Sunblock because it doesn't leave my face feeling greasy after I apply. You do have to blend really well to avoid white cast, so that might not be the best option. I wear it every day though, and keep blending by the time I've added foundation & setting powder it's fine.

The reason I like this one is that they have an SPF 90+ version and it's an affordable drugstore option. My family is prone to sun spots so I take all the SPF I can get
smiles.gif
Good luck with the search!

Twinkle_Twinkle

I'm currently using Aveeno Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion with SPF 100. It's oil-free, not very heavy (considering how high the SPF is). There is the tiniest bit of cast when I first apply the lotion (I'm NW45 by the way) but it goes away once I rub it in. Before the Aveeno I used Coopertone For Faces with SPF 30. I like it, but I just wanted more SPF.

blazeno.8

I don't have a sunblock/screen, but I do use an Aveeno oil free moisturizer with sunblock in it. I haven't noticed a white sheen from it.

angelynv

Hey I am LOVING Loreal Solar Expertise anti brown spots (in the UK I got this from Superdrug) and use it every single day. No white cast as it has a lovely peachy tint to it. It sinks into my skin immediately and leaves no white cast. I am NC42-43 btw x

angelynv

oh and its non oily too (its the matte fluid) while being really moisturising at the same time and also has not broken me out at all!

kittykit

I use La Roche-Posay Anthelios 45 Ultra-Light Fluid for Face. It's light and non-sticky. I use it on the top of my moisturiser and under my makeup. Unlike most sunscreen I've used before, this one doesn't make my face oily. The best sunscreen product for face I've used.

CandeeNova

thanks for this post! i have the same problem and was about to shell out the $$$ for the shiseido sunscreen!

Vixxan

I have been using Beyond Belief anti wrinkle sun protect with SPF 30+ for years. You can get it at Sally's beauty supply for around $6.

macgirl3121

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandeeNova
thanks for this post! i have the same problem and was about to shell out the $$$ for the shiseido sunscreen!

I use the Shiseido sunscreen and I do not notice a white cast at all.
th_dunno.gif
It has been the best sunscreen I have ever used. Perhaps the sunscreen and whatever cleanser/toner the op is using are not compatable. You can always get a sample from Sephora. My bottle has lasted a year and I use daily. This is a good thread though. I'm always open to having other choices.

kimmietrinh

I use Neutrogena Sheer sunscreen. There's no white cast and it's relatively cheap compared to the high end sunscreen.

fairyprincessfo

I love Neutrogena Ultra Touch Sunblock 55, I'm NC 45 ish and no white cast for me at all. I also LOVE cetaphil's daily facial moisturizer,again no white cast. both of these have UVA/UVB(very important!!)protection along with SPF.

cutemiauw

I'm using the L'Occitane Immortelle Brightening UV Shield SPF40. I love the consistency of it. I usually mix it with my Giorgio Armani LSF foundation, making it a tinted moisturizer. Works very well for me
yes.gif

stilett0s

I'm NC40 (probably 43-44 with this tan), and I use one by Neutrogena that has an SPF of 85. Aveeno makes one that goes as high as 60. After getting some hyperpigmentation one summer, I don't mess around with the sun anymore. I only buy high, HIGH SPF sunblock.

Extrashade

The sun does not discriminate, it does not see if you are a fairer tone or of a darker tone. Diseases like skin cancer, sunburn and other sun or heat related conditions can be caught by anyone exposed to too much sun. It becomes more important for darker skin toned people to wear sunscreen for protection against the sun as darker tones have a higher risk of developing Melanoma. So it is advised to be always protected against harmful UVA/UVB rays, no matter your skin tone .I’ve used ExtraShade sunscreen and love it’s lightweight, moisturizing and doesn’t leave white streaks on my skin! I LOVE IT!

PrettyGirlDoc

I use either LaRoche Posay Anthelios 60 or L'OREAL Sublime Sun liquid silk lotion for face. I top them off with my Maybelline BB cream in Deep that has an SPF of 30.

MissTT

When a sunscreen isn't leaving a white cast on my skin, it is leaving me quite shiny in the face. Any recommendations for oily skin?