lip gloss question.........

fishchick72

I love to use sheer color lipglosses, but I've always bought cheapie ones at Target, I'm currently using & loving one by Rimmel.

I'm just wondering, is there really any difference between a cheapie gloss from Target & a more expensive one from MAC or another line like that? If there is a difference can you please share with me what it is?

I know for e/s & blush the department store versions are world's better than cheapie drug store versions, but for compacts, eye liner, mascara, & lip stick I've never found a big enough difference to waste my money at the department store.

So I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing out on for lip glosses or not.

user3

IMO quality and they often have better colors.

I personally don't like the smell or feel of many drugstore lipglosses.

Now not all mid-end lines have great quality but I would say at least 75% have better quality than d/s.
Longer lasting and often times a better smell and texture.

However, I say if you are happy with what have don't fix what's not broken.

stockham

I'm in love with rimmel and revlon glosses and i only have a few MAC ones (and i mean a few, 5 at most). IMO the drugstore ones are just as good as MAC, but MAC's have a wider variety of colours and do probably stay put a bit longer. But i'll always revert back to my drugstore faves!

fairytale22

Pigmentation has been the main thing for me. I have really pigmented lips so all the sheer DS glosses look the same on me.

JGunnar

I'm a MAC nut, but I always by lip colors from Target or Walmart. I do have a few MAC and Hard Candy glosses that I love, but the only difference seems to be MAC and HC are thicker and more sticky and the other brands (Maybelline, Rimmel, Mary Kate and Ashley) are a little more wet. They last about the same to me and both get the job done.

MAC lipglass' are definetly thicker and stay on alot longer. The stickier the gloss, the longer the staying power. I've tried lipglosses from the drug store and the best ones are from Cover Girl and L'orel but I'll always love my MAC lipglass <3

Kristen

The major thing for me that switched me over to MAC glosses was the colour choices. I find that most brands only have one gloss per colour..(ie.. one light pink, one magenta, one blue-red, one orange-red) but never in an entire range/spectrum. I usually wear certain hues.. so I want only slight differences from one gloss to another. It always would drive me insane.. but MAC and other department store brands give you the option.

lara

Glosses are a real YMMV item. Pigmentation, texture, formulation, etc etc etc varies from brand to brand, so it's a matter of experimenting with different brands until you hit the combination you like.
smiles.gif

Staying power in lip glosses of similar formula/texture isn't a huge variance - it all comes down to how often you lick your lips/sip drinks/chew pens/etc, not the product itself.