Lip Liners

ARmakeupjunkie

This question is for any and everyone that has two cents to add. I would like to know how you decide what lip liner goes with what lipstick? Also, what is your favorite lip liner and the lipsticks you wear with it? I seem to have a liner for every lipstick and none are the same. It would seem to me that I could use a liner with several lipsticks but that's not working out? I would love to hear what you ladies have to say about lip liners. Thanks in advance!

Beauty Mark

I don't use lip liner, but I know some people use a lip brush and use the lipstick to clearly define their lips. If you're looking for staying power, some people just a natural shape, fill in their lips with the pencil, and then put the lipstick on top

saniyairshad

You should use the lip liner that is either neutral or matching to the color of the lipstick. You should not use a lip liner, which is darker than the color of your lipstick. Because when the lipstick fades after sometime and the liner does not, you are left with just an outline, which looks odd.

Fairybelle

If you want a basic all-encompassing lip liner, try looking for a pencil that most matches YOUR natural lip color. Depending on your skintone, neutrals like MAC Spice may not be right for you, even though they are hyped for their 'neutral' qualities. Look closely, maybe you have more pink in your lips, maybe you have a darker complexion and have a darker lip line. If you can, go to a counter where you can test out different pencils, creamstick liners, etc. You might be surprised what color you end up getting as a 'basic' pencil.
For me, as an NC25-30, I use MAC Stripdown, Spice, or creamstick liner in Honey B.
I personally find that more intense colors (reds, wines, deep browns, etc.) need corresponding lip colors to control edge color on lips (like posted above, use a lip brush too). Neutral lip pencils are good for your sheer glosses or lipsticks that most match your natural lip color.
HTH!!

saj20052006

Stripdown, Spice and Chestnut go with any and everything. I personally think it depends on the look you are trying to accomplish. I'm NW45 or NC50

For example, For a neutral lip, I may use Chestnut liner, Tanarama lipstick and clear gloss. For a little more intense. I will use the same, but with Nightmoth Lipliner.

Long story short. I use a neutral lip liner with anything; however for more intenese color affect I use a liner that's in the same color family as the lipstick and.or lipgloss

Honey B. Fly

i like to wear lipliner sometimes but in a funky way like a darker purple lipliner with a lilac frosty lipstick or a bronze lipstick with a dark brown lipliner.. it can be too much so u gotta keep it simple everywhere else if u use it heavy

ARmakeupjunkie

Thanks you guys for all your help. I have been purchasing lipsticks recently and found out it's best when used with a liner. I have had a hard time picking the best liner for each lipstick. I will try to keep your advice in mind as I try to match lipsticks with liners.