Lipgloss on eye lids/Glossy eyeshadow look

mel0622

i've heard this before but now i've actually read it in seventeen magazine. it says something about putting lipgloss on your eye lids to add shiny and have a 'glossy look' has anyone done this? and does it actually look good?!? why would you put lipgloss on your eye lids?

kimmy

i'd imagine that would get really irritating, or at least be uncomfortable haha. i never got the allure of glossy lids...unless you're doing a photoshoot or something...but for everyday wear, it just seems a bit much to me.

mel0622

yeah! wouldnt that stick your lids together and be hard to blink?? lol. but yeah for photoshoots i guess. like the clear gloss mac has i understand using that but why lipgloss?

afterglow

Maybe because it has colour? I think this started when Natalie Imbruglia had glossy lids in one of her music videos....

Oh, and also, probably because lip gloss is easily available to most people, as compared to something like mixing medium.

user3

Some people like that gloss look. You can use MAC pro gloss on your lids. I for one get that look when lids have nothing on them so I don't opt for the gloss look. LOL

mel0622

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Nessa
I for one get that look when lids have nothing on them so I don't opt for the gloss look. LOL

lol. i get that too esp in summer.

Isis

Alot of makeup artists will just use Vasiline as well. I don't think I could stand to have that stuff on my eyes though!

KMFH

I actually do this, just with vasaline tho. I like the look of it when im doin uber natural makeup, but i also do it with a smokey 'rock/goth' eye. It does take a bit of getting used to the feeling, but i love the look. Although this is best suited for film/photography, its a neat look to spring on once in a while!

Shawna

I tried it once with rosebud salve (yeah, read it in a magazine) and can we say nasty eye infection? I won't put anything glossy on my eyes again
ssad.gif

aziajs

I've done it. It was sticky I have to say. I have also done it with MAC clear gloss and that was sticky too. It looked okay both ways. It didn't irritate my eyes at all.

ette

Rosebad Salve over eyeshadow looks nice. Healthyish too. Doesn't irritate either, I have sensitive eyelids. But lipgloss, waaaaay to sticky?

AimeeEm

Aah I wish I could do this! But my lids are way too heavy for that, the lid wrinkles would just clump together and I'd look horrible. I might try it, though...

xiahe

hmm...i've heard of eyegloss to give eyes that "glossy look" but i've never heard of applying actual lipgloss to the eyes. that would be really irritating IMO...cause most lipglosses are sticky in texture so your eyelids would probably feel heavy and sticky all of the time.

sometimes i really wonder where those magazines get those ideas. sure, maybe for the runway. but for everyday wear? forget it.

Pink_minx

I heard about that, but I wouldnt try it. It would feel so uncomfortable and stuff will fly onto your eyelids like dirt, hair, maybe bugs lol. It may look pretty for photoshoots or runways but not on a daily basis.

giz2000

I've used Vaseline or MAC Pro Gloss for this look...although I like it for fashion shows or editorial work...not for real life...too sticky!

pugmommy7

I have very almond eyes very similar to that of some asians, my mascara would be all over the top lid. and I am always comcatting oilly lids and creasing b/c of it so it goes agaist nature to me, but I can see the fresh look as an option for some. I have seen it in mags over the last few yrs from time to time, and once i actually read to use clear lipglass....*CRINGES*

user3

For those that wanted to get an idea of what it looks like here is one done very well. I am sure some PS was done but you get the idea.
442382.jpeg

This look is more so for photos and shows than daily life. I don't even know if lids could take it for photos! Ugh the mess!

Jude

I can't remember the year but it had to be around 2001 (back when I was a Lancome person). eyeglosses were the hot trend for the spring-summer collections.