Lipstick leaves white line

IHughes

Hello everyone! I have a question and I would like to see if anyone has a suggestion as I'm quite annoyed about this. I've recently got into wearing lipstick, thanks to the lovely MAC lippies. I absolutely adore wearing them and I'm having so much fun! Unfortunately I have an embarrassing problem. I'm an English teacher in my own language school (well, family language school) so I wear pretty much whatever I like so I love to wear makeup and nice lipsticks. I have to speak a lot in class and sometimes I don't have time to go and check in the mirror what my lipstick looks like. When I do, I see that the lipstick has left a noticeable white line on my bottom lip. It looks pretty disgusting, like spit or something, and I have to scratch it off. I've tried MAC prep+prime lip and also using a brush and not applying it near the line, but it still appears. Does this happen to anyone? Is there a solution? It's quite annoying and I feel quite self-conscious as it doesn't look very nice and I'm quite close to my students and I don't want them to be wondering about my icky lips.

gildedangel

I have never heard of that problem before. Have you tried using a lip liner and blotting your lipstick? That can help keep it from moving around, especially since your job involves a lot of talking. Do you know where the white color is coming from?

IHughes

Well, it isn't white, it's more like the colour of the lipstick all together and bunched up along the line of the lip where it closes, if you know what I mean. I'll try and take a photo, although it isn't a pretty look hahahhaa

LC Balthazar

I know exactly what you mean. That happens to me too. I sometimes have to give 2-3 hours of lecture at at time. I notice it afterwards too. It's like a goopy whiter version of your lipstick that collects on the inside rim of your lips. Maybe try a matte formula or a stain the days you are teaching? HTH!

IHughes

Exaaaactly!!!! You've described it perfectly!! It's so annoying and I don't even realise I look like that until I see myself in the mirror

AngelBunny

Same thing happens to me (also a teacher) ... only thing I can figure is that the way I talk causes my lipsticks to migrate inwards instead of outwards. To fix it I have a habit of doing the "thumb trick" (stick your thumb in your mouth up to the webbing, wrap your lips around the base of your thumb like a rubber band and drag your thumb out ... excess lip color should some off around the base of your thumb) anytime I start to feel that thicker glob forming or if I taste lipstick.

IHughes

It must be a teacher thing then, haha!! Has anyone got a solution? It also happens when I'm out with friends and chatting a lot!

IHughes

I spoke to one of the girls at the MAC stand about this and she said it happens to her too with certain formulas of lipstick. It happens specially with Creemesheen and Amplified and also Satin but not all of these, some are worse than others. It doesn't usually happen with Lustre or Mineralized formula she said (I had noticed that). She didn't seem to think there was a solution :(

BriarRose

ssad.gif
That is definitely a problem I've had with the cremesheens when I have to talk a lot. I noticed it way back in summer 2011 when I first tried MAC lipsticks but didn't reach for those shades for long and forgot about it. Discovered the problem again recently at a college reunion event. I was wearing Lickable, and I looked in the mirror when I got in the car less than 2 and a half hours later and yikes.
ohboy.gif
I was so embarrassed.

I use P&P too, and that didn't stop it. Lip liner and/or gloss doesn't either. I think lip liner actually made it worse for me.

I think with the lipsticks that do this, if you want to keep wearing them, you just have to check it regularly. Since you can't, you probably would be better off trying another finish of lipstick on those days.

I've never had that problem with Mattes or Lustres, for example. I'm not sure if I have with Amplified or not. No clue about Satin either, since I think I only own one or two of that finish.

IHughes

I've never had that problem with Mattes or Lustres, for example. I'm not sure if I have with Amplified or not. No clue about Satin either, since I think I only own one or two of that finish.
Yes it's so embarrassing! There I am, chatting away thinking I look great and when I go to the toilet I see the horrid gunky line which won't even come off easily!!
It definitely happens with Cremesheens, and some Amplified lipsticks like Chatterbox, but not so much with Girl About Town. It doesn't seem to happen with Lustres (they aren't very creamy or covering and they disappear quickly so maybe that's why). I haven't got any Satin lipsticks and only one matte so I'm not sure about those. I imagine the mattes should be ok as they are drier.
It's quite annoying as I have many creemesheens and amplified lipsticks that I love. I'll have to steer away from them a bit and concentrate on purchasing the formulas that work best. I bought Dreaminess (Mineralized lipstick) the other day just because of this. I know that formula is ok (although more expensive, lol)

Sophiephoebe1

This happens to me sometimes too, especially with myth! I've tried all sorts of things to stop it happening and nothing has worked :(

IHughes

Yeah nothing works at all! I have bought more lipsticks than I want just to find formulas that work! So annoying!!

Sophiephoebe1

Yeah nothing works at all! I have bought more lipsticks than I want just to find formulas that work! So annoying!!
I don't mind collecting the lipsticks to check them out (good excuse, haha)! It's so annoying though, I've found a lip primer helps a little but it only happens to me on certain lipsticks. The only way to get rid of it is taking it off and re applying

Latest posts