long story. ADVICE. xposted.

xxyrbestbetxx

okay. i don't really know how to word all these thoughts so bare with me. i've gotten my makeup done 3 times by mac and i've hated it. but i don't really think it's their fault. the last time i got it done, i asked the MA for a smoky look but not TOO dramatic. so she started doing it and when she was done with one eye she told me to look in the mirror to see if i liked it. i looked at my boyfriend before i looked in the mirror and i knew i was going to hate it.

she did my makeup like i had normal eyes. man, this is so hard to explain. basicially she tried to create an eyelid look with creating a crease way above my natural eye crease.

i'm asian so i have TINY eyes. on my good days, you can see some sort of an eyelid, but not usually. my eyeliner ends up looking like my eyeshadow.

i told her, the dark blue (i forget the color) seemed a little high for my liking and so she tried to redo it. after about 3 tries she sighs and said, "man. it's just so hard you know? cuse everytime you close your eyes....i don't know where anything is. i don't know where your crease is. it's just flat" after that, she just gave me the brush and asked me what i usually do. after i was done, she was like, "i love it. you know, i've never done asians eyes so thanks."

the reason i wanted to get my makeup done is because i really don't know how to create a smoky loook with my eyes without looking too over done. i didn't want her to hand me the brush so i could show her what i usually do. anyways, on to my question to the MA's:

how do you guys usually do asian eyes and in that sort of situation, what should i have done?

picture for reference:
i know many of you guys have seen this picture. sorry, it's just the best one i could find on my eye shape.
p10100173ey.jpg

allie02044

i havent done an asians eyes either, but i would have been like, umm- i came to YOU to do my makeup.
-i havent liked the way MAC does my makeup either... but just because i like what I do, you know?
lol.gif

xxyrbestbetxx

yeah, totally. but lately, i've been doing the same thing and i want to get new colors and i thought, "hey, if i'm gonna be getting more e/s why not just get my makeup done and find new ways to do my eyes."

hopefully i'll find an asian MA somewhere and they can do my makeup.

amandamakeup

It could be that the ma probably doesnt have very much experience on asian eyes. I would do the same thing you are doing in the pic, maybe lift if up a little bit more on the outer corner, and if you want you can go a little bit higher on the crease then where you have it now. other than that,, u look great!

diesel

I'm not a MA but I'm mixed, so I've got a mini-crease and a bit of that problem too. I don't find that a dark crease colour ever looks right on me, no matter what I do or where I put it. It just kind of makes my lid look saggy. The best alternative for a smoky eye that I have found to work is just to use a darker shade in the outer-V and skip the crease colour altogether, which eliminates the problem you had of the artist making it too high. Then you don't really have to worry about where it goes and you still get a bit of smoky eye.

Hope this is mildly helpful to you
smiles.gif

Janice

I would ask the counter manager to apply your MU or ask the counter manager if anyone who works at any of the counters is asian/has done MU for asian eyes before.

Jessica

One suggestion I have is perhaps email MAC and share your concerns. One suggestion to make may be a MU seminar that is culturally sensitive with a focus on Asian Features and MU application. I'm not sure if something like this is already offered to MA's, if so maybe the counter needs a refresher course.
You are a beautiful woman and I'm sure that some of the ladies here may be able to assist you or perhaps refer you to a counter near where you live that they have had good results at.

foreveratorifan

Oh I wish you were near me here in Iowa!

My makeup counter has a gorgeous Asian gal who has done my makeup and always gets awesome looking smolder looks on her eyes, and her eyes are shaped almost exactly the same!

I can ask her for tips the next time I speak with her, but that may be a couple weeks away. But I will for you and then I will post here...

But I think the suggestions on here so far, are pretty close to what she does for hers as well

smiles.gif

PS: You ARE GORGEOUS

glittergoddess27

Thanks! I am hispanic and I also have a similar trouble sometimes,.. I also have to put my crease colors above my crease or they disappear as well,...I have never worn a smokey eye either,...I appreciate this post!

Demosthenes

For smoky looks I don't go too high, and I usually use the smallest brushes I have to get more control over the color. I use only two shades and a liner to get the most impact (too many colors and the eye looks muddy, especially when the eye is smaller). I spend more time blending and shading that I do with other shapes because the gradual smoky look makes the eyes look larger. HTH

princess_jenilee

I'm really sorrie u had a bad experience at the counter....i'm an MA also and that MA who did ur make-up just probably was not trained to do our eyes..... I had difficulty at first doing other asian eyes but there are a few tricks:
1. don't use the frost colors for a smoky look...the mattes usually work the easiest w/tiny eyes(i learned the frosts looks funny for some reason)
2. You do have a crease! u just have to find it! all u do is pull your lid up by the brow bone and look down. Thats how i do that on other eyes but on myself its just practice.
3. if u dont want it too dramatic just pack on the color of ur choice...then use a clean #224 to blend and smoke upward
And also I agree w/amandamakeup to use more of the darker e/s along the outer ends of ur eyes.

hope this helps somewhat....=)

AlliSwan

A good friend of mine is asian and she loved my mild smoky eye so I duplicated it on her, but of course with her eyes it looked a little more intense, probably more what you were going for. I'd say use the MAC 208 brush (tiniest angled one) to put print eyeshadow right on top of [preferably liquid] black or gray eyeliner (I use loreal because you can make a tiny line right up against your lashes). Then using the same brush, pick up some silvery gray shadow such as silver ring or even electra. Push that right up against the print and kinda smudge them together. Makes the print look smoky but it doesn't put any color higher up on your lids--leave them neutral. Good luck!

Supergirl84

i am Asian as well, and my eyes have no crease, and i have given up on MAs! i never ask for dramatic eye m/u ever because i have yet to encounter a non-Asian MA who knows how to really work with Asian eyes.
ssad.gif

Sprout

I edited this. I had originally given you a livejournal link, but later saw that you'd posted there too. Sorry!

joytheobscure

xxyrbestbetxx said:
okay. i don't really know how to word all these thoughts so bare with me. i've gotten my makeup done 3 times by mac and i've hated it. was like, "i love it. you know, i've never done asians eyes so thanks."

the reason i wanted to get my makeup done is because i really don't know how to create a smoky loook with my eyes without looking too over done. i didn't want her to hand me the brush so i could show her what i usually do. anyways, on to my question to the MA's:

] Hi, I am very pale - but thanks to my Native heritage I have small eyes and have a hard time doing the smoky look, I'm just learning... I have a hard time doing the "traditional" makeup with the three shades, I usually end up doing two shades and use liner as the major accent.

jeanna

i saved these pictures a while ago that i found just surfing around one day, since i thought that this was the nicest smokey eye applied on an asian eye that i've seen in a long time and wanted to recreate the look (i'm asian too!). i can't remember where i got it from or who this model is but her crease is pretty typical of a lot of asian girls. anyway, i hope this helps and maybe some Specktra members can use it as a starting point to find a helpful recommendation for you:

BEFORE/AFTER
natural.jpg
smokey.jpg

smokeycropped.jpg

as you can see, i also made a point to save a more natural picture of her so i could see what her eyelid really looked like. i hope this helps!! i haven't attempted to recreate the look yet, but i think i will soon and post it in the fotd forum.

faithhopelove24

Please guys, don't be sad... and never give up hope! I know an asian MA and she is EXELLENT!!! I will ask her about all the things I've seen posted today and as soon as I get an answer I will post it o.k. Hopefully I'll see her this weekend.

wolfmaster

Please do so!! I hate it when they CREATE that fake crease for us!!
Thanks in advance

BTW, that makeover picture is gorgeous!!!

Latest posts