lovin.... and neighbors

kimmae17

this is kindof embarassing but here goes! So i recently bought a condo in November. I started dating this guy in December, and recently we have started spending a lot of time together. So I am on the 4th floor, and the people below me have the exact same floor plan (so their bedroom is in the same spot as my bedroom)

anyway last night I hung out with my guy. and we were hooking up at around 11:30 when i got a knock on my door. It was my down stairs neighbors asking me to keep it down! now i was NOT making any weird noises. and we were not doing anything ridiculous. the bed might have made a little noise here and there, but that was all. at first i was mortified, but now i am just kind of annoyed. we were NOT making a lot of noise. Now i am sure every time he visits I am going to be worried about the downstairs neighbors! that kills the mood!

What should I do?

Junkie

I have the exact same prob - but my neighbour is worse.

We have the same floor plan as well - and we live in the basement. Anytime we make any kind of noise that pisses him off - he starts stomping on the floor. Its gotten to the point where we stay out of our bedroom when we think he might be sleeping and we also don't watch tv in there. I was texting in bed one night and he actually started banging! Its ridiculous! You'd think he sleeps with his ear to the floor. And my phone isn't even loud!

He's actually written us notes too and dropped them in our mailbox and has threatened to tell the landlord on us. He doesn't bang as much anymore because we've been pretty damn accomodating, but as for the "gettin busy" part - we save that for another room or when we know he's not home lol.

Now I know you can't keep tabs on your neighbours hours - but maybe keep the hanging out for in the living room when he's over (if its during night time hours). Anything between 8am and 11pm is essentially fine (within reason) as far as natural noise goes - it may vary depending on where you're from and city code regarding noise, so I'd check into that.

But if they're complaining at 10am, 4pm, 7pm, etc. - maybe ask what it is that is disturbing them exactly. Cupboard doors, vaccuuming, the headboard? Haha. It might embarrass the both of you, but atleast you'll know and can maybe pad some things?

kaliraksha

Find out what your community rules are. Find out if you have a board that can help with problems. At our last place... we were basically allowed to be reasonably loud from 6AM to 10PM. So, all our loud sex making was done within those hours with music on a bit louder for "privacy". Also, do you have carpet? Consider a rug under your bed. Or you can buy foam padding and put it between your bed and the wall.

When I've gotten a noise complaint before I've done tests/trials... by figuring out how loud I can turn up my music and not hear it in another room, or outside of my apartment, etc. If you feel like you are being of reasonable volume and it's just the way the sound is travelling then start taking notice of everytime she's loud and go complain to her.

Lastly, I know it's a new relationship... but do it in other rooms or furniture =)

kimmae17

so i was on vacation the week after this happened, and when i returned i had a letter from the management company stating that there was a complaint about noise. It was ONE time! i cant believe they called management! in my old apartment the people above me sounded like they dropped bowling balls on the floor, and it never even crossed my mind to call management on them.

kaliraksha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmae17
so i was on vacation the week after this happened, and when i returned i had a letter from the management company stating that there was a complaint about noise. It was ONE time! i cant believe they called management! in my old apartment the people above me sounded like they dropped bowling balls on the floor, and it never even crossed my mind to call management on them.

Yeah, that happened with me with my dogs barking right after we moved in. I think they were adjusting to the new place and all the new sounds and they were scared when I was gone. I can't believe someone didn't have the common neighbor decency to come talk to me about it or leave me a note on my door instead of calling the police/ and management.

Now, I make it a habit of going to talk to my neighbors within a few weeks of moving in. I usually bring baked goods (for brownie points), introduce myself, and leave them my email (I'm kinda weird about giving out my cell number until I know someone) in case there are any problems or need anything neighborly (like a plant sitter).

miss_dre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliraksha
Yeah, that happened with me with my dogs barking right after we moved in. I think they were adjusting to the new place and all the new sounds and they were scared when I was gone. I can't believe someone didn't have the common neighbor decency to come talk to me about it or leave me a note on my door instead of calling the police/ and management.

Now, I make it a habit of going to talk to my neighbors within a few weeks of moving in. I usually bring baked goods (for brownie points), introduce myself, and leave them my email (I'm kinda weird about giving out my cell number until I know someone) in case there are any problems or need anything neighborly (like a plant sitter).

Aww! You seem like the sweetest neighbour!! I'm sure your neighbours must love you!

Latest posts