Low Birth Weight Lowers Success in Adulthood

tsukiyomi

The study, funded by the National Institute on Aging, analyzes 35 years of data on more than 12,000 individuals from the Panel Study of Income Dynamics, conducted since 1968 by the University of Michigan Institute for Social Research (ISR).

It found that babies with low birth weights are one-third more likely to drop out of high school; earn an average of 15 percent less as adults; and are burdened in their 30s and 40s with the health of someone that is 12 years older.

The study's authors, Robert Schoeni of the University of Michigan and Rucker Johnson of the University of California at Berkley, concluded that low birth weight babies born to families of all income sectors were at risk for lower success and health problems in adulthood.

However, the problem was more pronounced in lower income families without health insurance, Schoeni told Foxnews.com

He said researchers were able to conclude that the problem stemmed from low birth weight, rather than socioeconomic conditions by studying siblings.

"We looked at brothers, for example, raised in the same family with parents of the same economic and educational backgrounds and we think it's a low birth weight problem," he said.

The study also showed that increasing the income of the nation’s poorest families by just $10,000 lowers the probability of low-weight birth by 2.18 percent. This did not have the same effect among lower middle income and high-income families, however.

The study does not make recommendations on how to address the problem, but Schoeni said early intervention, both medically and educationally, during the formative years of childhood appears to help low birth weight children live more productive lives.

"There's a critical need to invest in those years because not only does it seem to have benefits in short run, but also in the long run," he said. "The investment can result in a reduction in poverty and negative labor outcomes, as well as increases in future earnings and improved health."

Schoeni said he and other researchers are now studying how low birth weight effects adulthood diseases such as obesity and high blood pressure.

The study also found:

— Compared to their normal birth weight siblings, low birth-weight children are 30 percent less likely to be in excellent or very good health in childhood. They also score significantly lower on reading, passage comprehension, and math achievement tests.

— Weighing less than 5.5 pounds at birth increases the probability of being in fair or poor health as an adult by more than 70 percent.

— The earnings penalty for being born with low weight increases with age, with a 10 percent reduction in hourly wages from ages 18 to 26; a 10.2 percent reduction at age 25; a 15.6 percent reduction at age 35; and a 22 percent reduction in wages from ages 37 to 52.

What do you think?

I should have said weight, not rate...sorry.

banjobama

Re: Low Birth Rate Lowers Success in Adulthood

Weird. But why are babies born with a low birth weight? I think one reason is the mother smoked while pregnant. If she smoked while pregnant chances are she's not too concerned with her child's well being or health in the first place so it's unlikely she'll step it up after he's born.

That sounded pretty judgmental, it really bothers me to see pregnant women smoking.
soapbox.gif

Shimmer

There's smoking, poor diet, stress (oh yeah, stress will do it...), general lack of good health on the mother's part...
Smoking while pregnant though, is...yick.

Shimmer

It could be, but also, people in better socioeconomic levels are more likely, generally speaking, to take better care of themselves.

miss holly j

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama
Weird. But why are babies born with a low birth weight? I think one reason is the mother smoked while pregnant. If she smoked while pregnant chances are she's not too concerned with her child's well being or health in the first place so it's unlikely she'll step it up after he's born.

That sounded pretty judgmental, it really bothers me to see pregnant women smoking.
soapbox.gif

This is not always the case, sometimes the mother or the baby may become distressed and they need to deliever early resulting in a low birth weight. Sometimes early labor just happends an if they can't stop it it's the same situation as above.

hundove

I had a low birth weight..but it had nothing to do with any mistake my mom had as she was eating right and taking all the care pregnant moms take. Sometimes it has to do with genes and height of parents.

SparklingWaves

I would need much more data on this, such as the following:

1. Are they full term or premature?
2.Are the babies ill or well?
3. Did the mothers get prenatal care?
4. How old are the mothers?
5. Did the mothers or fathers have health issues?
6. What type of diet was the mother on?
7. How old are the fathers? (This fact has been found to be very important).
8. Did the mother and/or father live near factories?
9. What type of occupation did the mother and father have? Ex: Someone's hubby working in a coal mine or a chemical plant would be important.
10.Did the mother or father smoke, drink alcohol, and/or do illegal drugs?
11.What is the education level of the parents?
12.What was the mothers feelings towards her pregnancy?
13.What was the race of the parents? For some, this may be normal.
14. Did the mother contract any viruses during the pregnancy?
15. Was this a multiple birth?
16. Did the mother have morning sickness throughout the pregnancy?

It's very interesting, but I feel a bit left out with information as you can see.
smiles.gif

PomPoko

Well, I'm not sure what to say, I personally found that article rather alarming, as I was 3lb 5oz. when I was born.

but it was especially this one point:

Quote:
— Weighing less than 5.5 pounds at birth increases the probability of being in fair or poor health as an adult by more than 70 percent.

I suspect thats because the chances seem so high. And I guess its a bit late for me to do anything about my childhood reading and maths skills. I wasn't horribly unhealthy when I was younger though.

Sorry, I'm not being very helpful or insightful, as all I can think is "I'm dooooooomed"...(ever the drama queen
winks.gif
)

Kuuipo

I think the article was generalizing. Much of birthweight is genetic,and not all low birth weight or preemies are at a disadvantage (both of my older brothers were premature and low weight and spent time in an incubator-and both are sucessful judges,and one of them is a law professor as well, and they came from an extremely poor immigrant family).It also doesn't really depend on the size of the mother. The largest baby I have ever seen was over 14 pounds and delivered by a four foot ten Vietnamese woman in her early twenties who gained 17 pounds during her pregnancy. I was almost 9 pounds,my mom only gained 8 pounds while pregnant. Unless a mother is an alcoholic,ill or on drugs,a baby will get what it needs. Certain lifestyles can cause prematurity. On the other hand,I have taken care of mothers who went full term and found out they were pregnant less then 2 weeks before delivery and had perfect infants.One woman I worked with,age 26,overweight to start and gaining too much during her pregnancy had a large Down syndrome infant. She had excellent prenatal care,but she did have gestational diabetes-and she had a large baby.
I do think (as a nurse and a scientist) that there are too many factors-beyond environment and heredity-to generalize.

karen diggins

My son was born at 27 weeks. 2 lbs 1oz. I had a very bad pregnancy. I never used drugs or smoked in my life. My son is a happy and getting healthy 3 year old. If you go onto the march of dimes website you can find out more information at about preemies..

ri0tdorque

Woohoo I yet again beat the system!!! I was 3lbs 1oz at birth and somehow not only did I not die but I'm still kicking and doing great! Granted I'm all of 4'11" but I can stick kick booty
smiles.gif

panda0410

I think we need to be careful with generalisations like these - while some studies do show long term effects of low birth weight on babies as they grow into adults it doesnt ring true for everyone, and it often fails to consider existential variables such as socioeconomics and secondary life experiences that may otherwise alter outcomes in even normal birthweight babies. I myself was under 5lb at birth and premmie and have gone on to do nursing and now am doing medicine at uni, and I often find that studies like these can be damning for parents who can be and are influenced by information like this, it can lead to long term limiting of prospective opportunites simply based on an imposed stereotype.

ri0tdorque

I have to agree with you there. There are so many external variables that go into a person's life after the low birth weight and even why there was low birth weight to begin with. For example I was also below 5lbs but my I was two months premature and that was due to her having to pull my crib from out of the road over to a ditch when it fell off the top of her car. That next morning she went into labor. So many factors go into a successful adulthood and while granted it's sad that statically babies born with low birth weight don't do well I think it also depends more on the factos going into the birth weight to begin with as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
I think we need to be careful with generalisations like these - while some studies do show long term effects of low birth weight on babies as they grow into adults it doesnt ring true for everyone, and it often fails to consider existential variables such as socioeconomics and secondary life experiences that may otherwise alter outcomes in even normal birthweight babies. I myself was under 5lb at birth and premmie and have gone on to do nursing and now am doing medicine at uni, and I often find that studies like these can be damning for parents who can be and are influenced by information like this, it can lead to long term limiting of prospective opportunites simply based on an imposed stereotype.

Caramel_QT

I can see the link between low birth weigh and a less successful adulthood, but as others stated I think Socioeconomics has much more to do with it than just your weight at birth. The reasons behind *why* a child has a low birth weight (drugs use, poor prenatal care), would seem more telling of just the weight itself. A premature baby can grow up into a sucessful healthy adult if given the same "playing field" if you will, as a normal birth weight child.

Latest posts