M.A.C. Family, what does their Conflicts of Interest rules entail?!

HI lovelies!
I just got hired at M.A.C. as a freelance makeup artist
yahoo.gif
(YEAH!!) but the code of conduct is very strict on their Conflict of Interest rules, but does not exactly specify this question.

As a freelance artist I am not guaranteed hours every week until I can become a perm artist with them. i am looking for something part time to fill in the gaps, because unfortunately I still haven't won the lotto and need to work.
werd.gif

Can I work for other companies such as the DISNEY store or Gap to say; or would this be considered a conflict of interest because they are not owned by Estee Lauder? Or does the retail position just have to be something that does not compete with M.A.C. like Sephora would?! I read on another thread that working for MACY'S is a Conflict of Interest for us, but I do not understand this because they have M.A.C. counters that I can pick up hours at... please help, I am so confused!

thanks guys!
noob.gif

lillakatt

First of all, I would definitely ask whoever hired you to clarify that rule. They know that freelancers often have to have other work before they become permanent, so it's not like you'd be the only person asking that question.

I'm an SA at a department store (cosmetics, but not MAC) and our store has a conflict of interest policy. You can't work at any store that sells products that our store sells. You can cut/style hair, but you can't work at a store that sells hair products (so you couldn't work at Ulta or Sally Beauty).

Macy's is seen as a conflict of interest because even though MAC is sold at Macy's, many of its competitor brands are sold there too. Even though Clinique and Origins are also Lauder brands, the vast majority of customers don't know that (I seriously had a customer yell at me when she found out MAC was a Lauder brand) because Estee Lauder basically wants their brands to have a friendly competition. Also, keeping strong brand identities prevents them from cannibalizing each other's sales (when customers find out that Clinique and Estee Lauder are owned by the same company, they immediately think that Lauder is extra expensive for no reason. there is a reason, but they don't believe you when you explain it to them) - this, among other reasons, is why MAC will likely never be sold in Sephora in North America (or in Sephora, period).

Not only could you also end up selling a non-Lauder brand, your customers would get confused seeing you work for two different brands.

Does that make sense?

First of all, I would definitely ask whoever hired you to clarify that rule. They know that freelancers often have to have other work before they become permanent, so it's not like you'd be the only person asking that question. I'm an SA at a department store (cosmetics, but not MAC) and our store has a conflict of interest policy. You can't work at any store that sells products that our store sells. You can cut/style hair, but you can't work at a store that sells hair products (so you couldn't work at Ulta or Sally Beauty). Macy's is seen as a conflict of interest because even though MAC is sold at Macy's, many of its competitor brands are sold there too. Even though Clinique and Origins are also Lauder brands, the vast majority of customers don't know that (I seriously had a customer yell at me when she found out MAC was a Lauder brand) because Estee Lauder basically wants their brands to have a friendly competition. Also, keeping strong brand identities prevents them from cannibalizing each other's sales (when customers find out that Clinique and Estee Lauder are owned by the same company, they immediately think that Lauder is extra expensive for no reason. there is a reason, but they don't believe you when you explain it to them) - this, among other reasons, is why MAC will likely never be sold in Sephora in North America (or in Sephora, period). Not only could you also end up selling a non-Lauder brand, your customers would get confused seeing you work for two different brands.  Does that make sense? Yes I think so! So basically I cannot work anywhere that sells cosmetics then right- But other retail is okay? I actually did not know that Estée lauder owned all that they do until I was signing the paperwork for MAC. Thank you for your help!!

lillakatt

I would double-check. I think any retail that doesn't sell cosmetics or hair products (Lauder owns Bumble and Bumble) would be ok. But better safe than sorry!

I would actually wait tables or something instead. That way there's no risk.