M.a.c Interview @ Nordstrom's..helpp!!

Babycakes

Omgsh,

so I finally went for it,and submitted my resume to a mac @ nordstroms that I frequent practically everyyy week..the manager has seen me plenty of times,I did the app.online for Nordstroms,and I got a call from the cosmetics manager,wantng me to come in tomorrow @ 10:30 am!

Im stoked but NERVOUS bc I don't know what to expect..what type of questions do they ask?

Im praying I get the job even tho its part time its my dream!

Help pleaseee!!!!!

TIA

Sarah

Babycakes

Wow-Today was a little insane,the nordstrom cosmetic manager asked me sooo many detailed questions,I hope I did well,Tried my best.she was really nice though..she said they will contact me by the end of the week to let me know if theyre interested,then I will have to be interviewed by mac..Im not sure if that would be the demo interview? Wish me luck!

FacesbyNiki

Hmm.. did you let them know you wanted to work for MAC? Because sometimes with Nordstrom, they will not let MAC know if you are applying. MAC usually brings them people they want to be considered. At least that's the way it was for me.

Babycakes

Yes I submitted my resume to the mac manager,whom told me they had a p/t position available..and I did the interview w/the cosmetics manager,who supposedly will give MAC the ok if she approves me..it seems like an arduous process but will hopefully pay off.

FacesbyNiki

Ok good!!
smiles.gif

I've heard of situations where folks give the application and it doesn't get to MAC but to Lancome or somebody. LOL

mochajavalatte

cheerleader.gif
I had the same process.
I interviewed with the Nordstrom cosmetics mgr, then interviewed with the MAC counter manager, THEN did my demo, THEN interviewed with the MRO: manager of regional operations...It's a long process, but good luck!! It's worth it to do what we love isn't it!?

Babycakes

So they FINALLY called me back after an antogonizing week,lol..I have an upcoming demo ; does anyone have any advice as far as that goes? Do they tell you what specific look they want you to do,do you have to setup your own products/applicators? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! It is def.worth going thru all this to do my passion! Thanks girlies!

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babycakes
So they FINALLY called me back after an antogonizing week,lol..I have an upcoming demo ; does anyone have any advice as far as that goes? Do they tell you what specific look they want you to do,do you have to setup your own products/applicators? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! It is def.worth going thru all this to do my passion! Thanks girlies!

either they have you ask your model what they are looking for, which you can practice before hand, or they tell your model a specific situation and when you ask then what they are looking for, they tell you (this makes you think on your toes). i got to practice mine, but now we come up with a scenario for the model to act out.

then you go and get the products. it is just like when you have an appt. to get your makeup done. you are doing the same thing they do. the only difference is that you have to explain why you are using the colors/products you are using, the placement on the face and why, & what brushes you are using and why. if you get your makeup done many times, us MAs tend to stop saying all this stuff each time you come in. you are supposed to act as if you work there and the customer knows nothing about makeup.

this is what applicants do at my macys counter. any other questions?

Babycakes

Thanks for the helpful info
smiles.gif
I think I'll be using my stepmom as a model w/some challenging issues such as hyperpigmentation + rosacea..so hopefully I can pull of a nice look..im so excited thO!

Babycakes

So I arrive at Nordstroms about a 1/2 an hour early,and I receive a call from the cosmetic manager saying that the mac manager was out sick..I think he was going to tell me to reschedule but I told him I was already in the building..so he tells me that an employee will oversee my demo.The employee gives me her brush belt,and tells me to do a day to evening look.

I was a little nervous but that soon wore off after I got into my groove,as I felt confident in what I was doing.

I was kind of dissapointed that nordstroms didn't call me earlier to inform me that the manager was out sick,bc I really wanted to show her my skills.

I feel I did quite well,but I suppose its all in the hands of the employee (what she reports back anyway)

I have a pic of the evening look I will post soon..now its just a waiting game I hope I get it!!~

FacesbyNiki

Sounds good. But don't worry, sometimes they use other employees to check you out. If you are nasty to them when you are dropping off your application, you most likely won't get a call back. They see it as how well do you treat your fellow coworkers or customers.
smiles.gif

Babycakes

That seems logical..she was really sweet + Im always super nice,especially @ MAC..hehe..most of the girls are really friendly.

I received a call back,wanting to schedule a phone interview? This would be my 3rd interview..does anyone know how many interviews you go thru w/nordstrom mac typically?

Its soo close..I can just taste it!

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
That seems logical..she was really sweet + Im always super nice,especially @ MAC..hehe..most of the girls are really friendly.

I received a call back,wanting to schedule a phone interview? This would be my 3rd interview..does anyone know how many interviews you go thru w/nordstrom mac typically?

Its soo close..I can just taste it!

I did 2 demos and many interviews, don't worry. It's not uncommon.

Babycakes

A few questions if someone could please help me while im waiting to hear back on MAC.

-Do part time employess gets gratis or EMS?(Certain $$ allowed to spend in time frame,is what that is,correct?

-If they hire you for part time around this time,is it just for the holidays,or if you work really well can it lead to permanent position FT?

-What are nordstroms policies about clothes/shoes..can heels be open-toed?

-Do you get to keep the brushes/shirts/jewelry if they let you go?

TIA!!

lipshock

Quote:
Do part time employess gets gratis or EMS?(Certain $$ allowed to spend in time frame,is what that is,correct?

You sure do! I do believe part-time is $200 worth of EMS. I actually have to do mine (thanks for reminding me, heh). I think it goes up depending on how long you've worked for MAC, but don't quote me. It might be based on how many hours work and the like.

Quote:
If they hire you for part time around this time,is it just for the holidays,or if you work really well can it lead to permanent position FT?

Unless they explicitly tell you are ONLY being hired for the Seasonal position -- then you are considered a permanent part-time employee. If they do tell you are just going to be a seasonal employee, there is always a chance of being moved up to a permanent spot, if one is available to you and there aren't others ahead of you in line for that spot. Make those sales goal; actually go above and beyond your sales goes. That is sure to impress!

Quote:
What are nordstroms policies about clothes/shoes..can heels be open-toed?

I don't work at Nordstroms. I am actually based in a freestanding store and our clothing policy is very liberal, as long as it is tasteful and all black (of course). Now I hear from several MAs who work for Nordstroms on here that their dress code can be somewhat strict, but I think it's best to just ask the Manager at the counter what the policy is.

Quote:
Do you get to keep the brushes/shirts/jewelry if they let you go?

If you are referring to the brushes given to you in your brush belt, definitely not since you did not BUY them with YOUR money. The shirts and the jewelry I do believe you can keep but I've heard you are technically supposed to hand in all MAC related items once you no longer work for the company.

Latest posts