MAC 187 & foundation application

ddglitter06

I don't know if I am not using enough foundation or if I am over-buffing my foundation to the point that it is sheer....but I don't find that my foundation has that full coverage flawless look. I apply a squirt of Studio Sculpt to my hand and dab my MAC 187 stippling brush into it and dab it all over my face. Then, I buff that in circular motions, until my whole face is done. But, it seems sheer. Do I let it dry and then apply another layer? How do you apply your foundation?

shellygrrl

Staff member
I use a much denser brush, if I use one, to apply foundation (my fave is the Sigma F80). My application technique is almost like yours, only instead of dabbing the brush all over my face and then buffing/blending it in, I start buffing product in straight away.

ddglitter06

Thanks for the tip! What brush would you recommend for liquid foundations? And what do you think the 187 is best for?

shellygrrl

Staff member
If you want to stay in the MAC family, something like the 130 would work, I think. If you're willing to go outside it, any of: Sigma F80, Sigma F82, Real Techniques Expert Face, RT Buffing (part of the Core Collection). I would use a 187 for blush, particularly highly pigmented ones where I'd prefer to use a light hand. You could probably use it for MSFs or bronzer, too.

Princesa Livia

I would use a 187 for blush, particularly highly pigmented ones where I'd prefer to use a light hand. You could probably use it for MSFs or bronzer, too.
I agree with shellygrrl above. For MAC brushes, dense buffing type brushes are the best for liquid foundations IMO. I would suggest the MAC 130 or the MAC 109.

I use the MAC 187 brush for face powder application to set foundation, it does this really quick and sets a nice noncakey veil of powder. I would also use it for MSFs to provide just the right amount of product for everyday use without looking like a glitterbomb!
flower.gif

Angel007

I'm a makeup newbie but I use the cheapest brush ever with a spritz of my fix plus and it works great. It's the ELF flat top brush. The brush Gets rave reviews on YouTube.