<< MAC 227 Question >>

SoSoAmazin

I just bought the 227 today and gave it a wash and lots of black dye bled out - I soaped it like 4 times with my facial soap and it still had some dye bleeding out. Is this normal for the 227? Because my other full-size brushes w/black hair (187 & 182) don't bleed at all (although my 187se did and never stopped, but the SE's are of poor quality anyway). Should I exchange?

glassy girl

Well so far none of my full size brushes have bleed but i have 181 which is a small version of the 182 and i washed it the other day and it did bleed but from what i hear is that some of the brushes that come in a set do bleed. So so far no bleeding on my big brushes.

lsperry

My 162 and 227 brushes bleed. I wash them after each use w/very mild baby shampoo. But I don't use them every day; so, maybe they will stop bleeding over time. I see nothing wrong w/the bleeding. I would have a problem if they shed, though.

Oh, I bought some MAC brush cleaner during the sale. Maybe when I wash them w/the cleaner, they will stop bleeding.

erine1881

some of the black haired brushes bleed cause they are dyed black. different factories use different dyes, and some stay in long than others. there's nothing wrong with it, so no need to exchange it. just make sure its completely dry before you use it to prevent dye from getting on your face.

MACGoddess

As the girls have said some of them will bleed and others will not... My work #109 brush ALWAYS bleeds an almost green color after 2.5 yrs of washing it every night with shamp!

And be careful what you suds those brushes with! Trust me you want to use a shampoo that is for color treated hair, it will soften the bristles and WAY prolong the use of the brush... If your brush starts to shed a lot, comb it with one of the plastic lash separators you can get just about anywhere, and when you wash it, put a bit of color treated conditioner on them too and let it sit for a few min before rinsing.

Sometimes soaps (even for face) or some Baby Shampoos can dry out the brush or leave a residue that makes them oily feeling or stiff...

SoSoAmazin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACGoddess
As the girls have said some of them will bleed and others will not... My work #109 brush ALWAYS bleeds an almost green color after 2.5 yrs of washing it every night with shamp!

And be careful what you suds those brushes with! Trust me you want to use a shampoo that is for color treated hair, it will soften the bristles and WAY prolong the use of the brush... If your brush starts to shed a lot, comb it with one of the plastic lash separators you can get just about anywhere, and when you wash it, put a bit of color treated conditioner on them too and let it sit for a few min before rinsing.

Sometimes soaps (even for face) or some Baby Shampoos can dry out the brush or leave a residue that makes them oily feeling or stiff...

Wow thanks for the good tips!
greengrin.gif

MAC_Whore

They do bleed a bit the first time you wash it, as the dye job is fresh. It may have bled more than usual, as you used soap, which can be pretty abrasive to brushes.

For regular light cleaning, I always use MAC's brush cleaner on a wash cloth and run my brushes over it, going side to side. Never grinding it into the washcloth (you will hear your brushes scream in pain if you do that).

I use a gentle face cleanser for deep cleaning my brushes. The p.h. is much less abrasive than soaps or shampoo, yet it still cleans nicely.

FiestyFemme

I've had my 227 for a couple months and washed it several times, and it has not bled at all. I guess it just varies since others said theirs did. Just wanted to throw my experience out there.

Like it's been said, I wouldn't worry about the bleeding as long as you let it dry before you use it again.