MAC artist dealing with jealous people

colt0410

Any MAC artist deal with jealous people? I never wear makeup, unless I have to. I used to be a performer, went to cosmetology school, and thats how I got into makeup, but I'm definetly not the type to wear makeup everytime I leave the house. Anyway, I was introduced to a friend of a friend, and when she asked where I worked, she was surprised to find out I worked at MAC. She procedded to ask a million questions, but kind of in a degrading way, like how the hell did you get hired at MAC kinda thing. Anyway, this is something a lot of the girls at my counter deal with. Especially those like me, who have kids and are definetly not the type of wear makeup all the time, especially when were not even working. Just wondering if any other MAC artist dealt with this.

L1LMAMAJ

yea when people ask how i got my job at mac without working at another cosmetics company and didn't go to cosmo school, they're kinda like wow you're so lucky (in a degrading way). then they go on about how they had sooo much experience with makeup before mac and had to go through so many interviews (i went thru one and i got my perm position) etc. so i don't even really like telling them about how i got my job, people just can't learn to be happy for others. just because i didn't have like 5+ years at a makeup counter like them doesn't mean i'm not good at what i do. yes i am new at mac and i'm still learning a lot (everyday is an adventure), i have a smoldering passion for makeup which is what drives me.

L1LMAMAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccalovesMAC
Let your haters be your motivators.

true that.
yes.gif

Makeup Emporium

I never understand why some people feel they need to tear others down to feel better about themselves. Petty and shallow as far as I'm concerned! Just ignore them...they're just jealous!!

Cocopuff

We have stalkers at our counter. Say for instance someone asks if MAC is hiring. We tell them no, but make sure to check Nordstroms.com for any other cosmetic positions. Next thing we know, they are working for another counter, but all up in out space asking a million questions and playing with the products. We have to hide new collections in boxes in the stock room and re-tape them before their release because, they will open up our product. Sometimes, I want to say, I understand...I am a MAC addict as well, but when I am on the clock I am a MAC employee. Ugh...just trifling and ig'nant....

L1LMAMAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocopuff
We have stalkers at our counter. Say for instance someone asks if MAC is hiring. We tell them no, but make sure to check Nordstroms.com for any other cosmetic positions. Next thing we know, they are working for another counter, but all up in out space asking a million questions and playing with the products. We have to hide new collections in boxes in the stock room and re-tape them before their release because, they will open up our product. Sometimes, I want to say, I understand...I am a MAC addict as well, but when I am on the clock I am a MAC employee. Ugh...just trifling and ig'nant....

We have people that work at different cosmetic counters who are always at MAC playing with the stuff when they're clocked in at their counter. It just looks bad.

ms.marymac

I used to have people who could not believe I worked for MAC for the same reason. I really don't wear a lot of makeup usually. They seem to think that you have to wear your makeup a certain way in order to be able to apply it to others. Ooooooookay.

Ruby_Woo

Ive had that happen, but you just gotta shrug it off. I had been hired into a pro store, so it didn't sit well with some employees, but all you can do is just your job and the best you can.

I honestly do not wear ANYTHING if I am off. Its my day off, if I wear makeup, I feel like im working again. lol. No thanks!! I have a little boy to run after. :p

BeccalovesMAC

Ruby_Woo, you are so gawjus you do not even need any makeup. U could to a good job selling mac with sweats on and no makeup.

colt0410

Thanks for the advice guys, I recently saw the girl again when she came into MAC. She actually told one of the other makeup artist the story of how she had seen me and could not believe that I worked at MAC, but how I looked alot different at work. Umm hello!!!! I would not wear false eyelashes and dazzleglass on my day off when I'm not going anywhere. I was like, what the hell did you think I would look like at work?

malika

I'm sorry she said that to you! How rude. Does she not have days where she doesn't want to be all dolled up?

Next time show them a picture of the Hairy Bikers, that guy on the left is a makeup artist. It doesn't take a perfect canvas to be a makeup artist, it takes skill!

The better the canvas, the lesser skill is needed
hairy_bikers_large.jpg

bellezzadolce

I know the feeling all too well! Being a former M.A.C. Artists I still get people who want to drill me on M.A.C. Now that I have a city job everyone wants to know why I wear make-up everyday and when they find out where I use to work they are like "O.K. , that's why you walk around dolled up all the time" WTF? Not sure why people are jealous of M.A.C. Artist, everyone is good at something so all they have to do is find out what they are good at and do it!

nursee81

people can be very haterish i guess. I know many MAC artist and they are the coolest people I have met. I love make up and would love a job at at counter or even at a store but I am scared to apply. I need to grow some and just do it.

BEA2LS

people are crazy! if you notice, many professional make up artist wear little to no make-up..
i do not work at MAC but have a little experience at a cosmetic counter.. but i love make-up! i wear very little to work as i like to sleep late.. and the people there always try to give me beauty advice.. they do not believe i know how to apply make up! lol advice is always wanted but c'mon!

Jackie O

How about this: when another MAC EMLPOYEE is jealous of you?! Now THAT pisses me off!

Similiar to lilmamaj, I was hired for the company with no (professional) cosmetic experience, but a LOT of retail experience, and a passion for MAC as a company, they saw that in me and after a few interviews offered me a permanent position at a MAC store which apparently never happens here (I would've had to freelance first, then work at a counter, than a store, etc etc) Now, I'm not a rocket scientist, but I can smell a person's attitude from a mile away. One particular co-worker was really nice to me for a few weeks, and then out of nowhere would barely say two words to me. It was another coworker (on the downlow) that informed me that same girl was probably a bit jealous of how she started off as a freelancer and had to work her way up, and yet I did not, almost as if she was implying the job was just handed to me and I didn't have to work for it. I thought to myself, how unfair is that? Maybe she should see that as something she can work on herself, don't hate on me just because I have a passion for something and they believed in me enough to want to hire me, and how can you assume that I haven't worked to get my job! UGH! Never in my life have I ever really had a problem with a coworker, I don't say much to her anymore, I just keep it at a professional level.

I also found out that she was going around telling other co-workers how I make youtube videos, and she didn't like the fact that people trust my opinion as far as makeup goes. After I heard that, I was pretty much done with that girl. God gave me this job, can't nobody, not even some jealous heffer take that away from me!

I know this was a little different from your situation, but my point is, when people come at you foul like that, just think in the back of your mind how lucky you are to have a job some people would kill for!

BeccalovesMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie O
How about this: when another MAC EMLPOYEE is jealous of you?! Now THAT pisses me off!

Similiar to lilmamaj, I was hired for the company with no (professional) cosmetic experience, but a LOT of retail experience, and a passion for MAC as a company, they saw that in me and after a few interviews offered me a permanent position at a MAC store which apparently never happens here (I would've had to freelance first, then work at a counter, than a store, etc etc) Now, I'm not a rocket scientist, but I can smell a person's attitude from a mile away. One particular co-worker was really nice to me for a few weeks, and then out of nowhere would barely say two words to me. It was another coworker (on the downlow) that informed me that same girl was probably a bit jealous of how she started off as a freelancer and had to work her way up, and yet I did not, almost as if she was implying the job was just handed to me and I didn't have to work for it. I thought to myself, how unfair is that? Maybe she should see that as something she can work on herself, don't hate on me just because I have a passion for something and they believed in me enough to want to hire me, and how can you assume that I haven't worked to get my job! UGH! Never in my life have I ever really had a problem with a coworker, I don't say much to her anymore, I just keep it at a professional level.

I also found out that she was going around telling other co-workers how I make youtube videos, and she didn't like the fact that people trust my opinion as far as makeup goes. After I heard that, I was pretty much done with that girl. God gave me this job, can't nobody, not even some jealous heffer take that away from me!

I know this was a little different from your situation, but my point is, when people come at you foul like that, just think in the back of your mind how lucky you are to have a job some people would kill for!

oh yea momma this girl is straight hating on u. What a biatch!

Babylard

^ i agree with you, what is wrong with people these days? Plus, the fact that people make youtube videos and sharing knowledge with the public means that they have a lot of passion for makeup. I don't understand why she would try to use that against you. I learned about the basics of makeup and hair through youtube, so hell yeah, THANK YOU YOUTUBE PEOPLE!

L1LMAMAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie O

why can't people learn to be happy for others? it's not a competition. we should all be supporting each other. that girl is crazy. just keep on shining and doing your thing. u don't need any unnecessary drama in your life.