MAC Collections and changes of heart

SMMY

I wonder how many of us have had our heart set on a certain collection from initial descriptions of it and then ended up buying nothing or very little from it. On the flip side, how often do we find our apathy for certain collection dissolve upon the release of it and seeing actual swatches of it?

I had my heart set on getting so much from the Sweetie Cakes collection, but my enthusiasm went away when I saw the actual colors in the quad. I was so disappointed after seeing the real colors, that my interest for picking up many of the items from this collection just went away. I purchased pigments and some of the glitter pencils, but passed on everything else.

The exact opposite happened with the Sundressing collection. I wasn't even going to get the pigments until I saw actual swatches of Gold Dusk. Then it was just love at first sight. Ended up purchasing far more from the collection than I had intended to.

So what collections have you unexpectedly lost interest in upon release that you initially really wanted and which ones did you end up emptying your wallet for that you had intended to skip when you first heard about the collection?

Sparklevixen81

I had no desire to get anything from sweetie cake, and I only passed on chromeglass due to lack of funds. i went in to nordy's last week hell bent on the new lipgelees from sundressing, but I didn't like the texture on my lips so I ended up getting relaxing e/s instead, im fairly new to the collection watch/spectra, so that is my only experience thus far!

slvrlips

It's interesting that you bring this topic up. I wasn't interested in the Sweetie cakes collection either Thought the colors were not cute
enough that is until I saw a co-worker (who is also a MAC addict) with the quad e/s on. It looked very nice on her and now that I have my own it looks great when wearing pastels and soft colors.

ledonatella

I was totally not into the Catherine Deneuve collection, then I bought Dusk and loved it, and thouht I'd try the lipsticks, and loved them and finally bought the Thunder quad and now it's one of my faves. It's real hard when I don't get to take a trip and see things in person very often and that collection looked crappy in pictures. I was really wanting to love Cultrebloom since I love bold colors and bought a bunch, but honestly, with the exception of Love-Bud, Spring-Up, and Lavender Sky, I really don't like much else.

bellaetoile

i had no intentions whatsoever of getting ANYTHING from the catherine icon collection, yet ended up getting two lipglasses, both quads, a beauty powder, a blushcream, and a couple lipsticks. i really like all of it.

sweetie cake and culturebloom are two collections i was super excited for, bought a lot of, and now totally regret it. the pigments from sweetie cake aren't anything special, and i wish now i had just saved the money. same with the lustreglasses and eyeshadows from culturebloom. the colors are similar to ones i already have, but not as nice, if that makes sense.

i wasn't going to get anything from lure, see-thru color, or sundressing, yet of course, i ended up with one pigment, a couple shadows, and some lip stuff. i really need to get better at discerning what all i NEED, versus what i WANT, from collections, because its getting too expensive buying stuff just for the hell of it..

bAbY_cHiCkEn01

ME!!!! OMG I was sooooooo excited about culturebloom, the eyeshadows especially... And that was hightened because I got my first invite to a preview night etc etc... well I went, and A. the night was so boring that I left an hour early, and B. EVERYTHING sucked! The only think I was even remotely interested in was lovebud e/s but the counter screwed up and never recieved the shipment of lovebud, hence, I couldn't get it... The only thing now is that I regret not getting sweet william blushcreme... but other than that, such a let down...

pumpkincat210

I was really bummed out by the sundressing collection. I haven't been that disappointed in a LOOOOONNNNNGGGG time.

gretchygretch84

Sundressing. I remember seeing it for the first time on specktra and going wtf is this! And then I went to the counter and got Summer Neutral and Glamoursun. And then I saw swatches of gold dusk, and had to go back, and wound up with pink cabana, sunsparked pearl, gold dusk, and relaxing. And then I depotted Summer Neutral and got a huge knick in it, so I had to get a backup b/c I'd worn it every day since I got it... and while I was there I got Softwashed Grey.

On the flip side, I thought I was going to love the sweetie cake quad and apricot pink. I hated those, wound up with just Pinked Mauve and Mouthwatering and samples of the other two.

I also feel my need for Lure all but faded. I'll probably just snag the 2 green e/s like I always planned but the rest of the stuff is blahh. I'm saving up for She Shines!

MissMarley

Yeah...I thought I'd want all of Sweetie Cake, and I hated it all. I have apricot pink and lily white pigments and I hate both of them.

But I fell in love with all of Sundressing, which I had totally thought would be blah for me.

Parishoon

i was in love w/ all of sweetie cake, but after seeing it decided to pass on the petite glosses, the lipglasses, the quad, basically the whole thing
rofl.gif

i got suckered into the pigments, and now seeing the new collection, it looks like they got together w/ deckchair & goldenaire to make new baby piggies.

i'm all about neutrals b/c it's all i can wear at work, but it's getting too similar they gonna start naming them by the intensity number. pinky peach #120937

i didn't get glamoursun b/c it was more sheer than i thought

i didn't get a few of the see thru lipgelees b/c they're perm. Only got one lipstain, not as impressed, they're all pinky purples! (i had hope rose de sheer was red, but meh)

Wattage

This happens to me a lot. Infact, I wanted nothing from the Sweetie Cake collection and ended up buying quite a bit!! On the flipside, I thought I would buy out Sundressing and only ended up getting two things. It's funny, I do love seeing the pics before the collection comes out but honestly, I find it gets me excited about nothing most of the time. The pictures rarely accurately depict the true product.

JesusShaves

It seems at this time of the year i become so EH about MAC.. lol! Just like last year i stopped buying, then come september i splurge looking around for things i missed out on!!!

I wasnt gonna get anything from the culturebloom collection, but ended up buyin a few things... just to BUY SOMETHING that day lmao!

princess

Madame B. I thought I was going to get basically everything until I went to the counter. Just felt disappointed after all the hype, nothing caught my eye.

That is why I will never buy anything without testing it for real first, swatches are not the most accurate after all, it is to give a rough idea of the real colour. It also depends on the person's colouring, whether they can carry off the colour, or their lip pigment, etc. Just my humble opinions. 8)

Wontpayretail23

I'll see some of the stuff when the collections come out and pass on certain products then I start looking at the FOTD posts people put up and then I'll want something and it's sold out. I hate that!

SMMY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wontpayretail23
I'll see some of the stuff when the collections come out and pass on certain products then I start looking at the FOTD posts people put up and then I'll want something and it's sold out. I hate that!

I know what you mean. Usually the swatches or the FOTDs with new products will cause me to cave and purchase. I waited on the Y&Kei Lookbox and almost wasn't able to find it as a result of my indecision. Never again. From now on I plan to purchase in haste, then repent at leisure.
greengrin.gif

Eilinoir

Based on all the comments above, I think a good way to save money would be to do this:
Psyche yourself out and tell yourself you can't live without getting everything from each collection. Reverse psychology (and reality!) will then set in and voila! You won't be impressed when they come out
smiles.gif
j/k

I was super-excited for Sweetie Cake but in the end, after some second thoughts and returns, I ended up w/ just 2 Peacocked SS pencils.
I'm only have looking for ward to Lure/Bait/Hooked and She Shines. Really, a lot of the colours look like ones from the permanent collection or from previous LEs (eeeven if they may be off just a tinge). Everything's starting to look alike!

Brianne

I felt that way about Sweetie Cake - I didn't like the quad, the lipglasses were nothing unique, the Petit glosses were icky. I only ended up with Pinked Mauve and Apricot Pink pigments (which technically I didn't spend anything on, my mom bought them for me).
smiles.gif
I completely passed on Sundressing, but Lure/Bait/Hooked has my name ALL over it.

CWHF

Lingerie I thought looked so boring in pics I saw beforehand and I knew I would get very little---wrong! Got both MSFs, both pigments (eventually), and a lipstick (pink maribu).

Sweetie Cake on the other hand looked great to me but when I got there, only 2 of the pigments were must haves and everything else was yucky to me.

I think Lure/Bait/Hooked is going to be like Lingerie for me and She Shines like SC.

Pascal

At first when I saw Culture Bloom, I thought oh well there's not much to buy here just a few Eye Shadows, nothing else. Then I realized how beautiful OVERGROWN eye shadow was. And I went back right away and bought it. I love greens so much, I can never have enough green eye shadows, sometimes I look at landscapes and I see plants with the colors of yellow on top and green on the bottom, and I now automatically think of OVERGROWN eye shadow. Also I ended up buying Budding Lusterglass, I still haven't used it, but I can't wait til I do.

Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWHF
Lingerie I thought looked so boring in pics I saw beforehand and I knew I would get very little---wrong! Got both MSFs, both pigments (eventually), and a lipstick (pink maribu).

Sweetie Cake on the other hand looked great to me but when I got there, only 2 of the pigments were must haves and everything else was yucky to me.

I think Lure/Bait/Hooked is going to be like Lingerie for me and She Shines like SC.

Same here when I first saw Lingerie, I thought oh no big deal, nothing here to buy, I'll have to pass, then last month I went to Nordtroms and asked if they still had Pink Maribu Lipstick, and they did, so I ended up buying two. I regret not buying Slip Pink, it was so pretty though.

Latest posts