MAC Demo Interviews - descriptions & questions

Chrystia

Re: Demo for freelancers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honesty0410
Iʻm a freelancer, been so for about a year now, and was recently told about a perm position opening up. I was wondering, if your already a freelancer, do you have to do a demo interview again, or is it just questions about sales? I hated the demo during my freelancing interview. I remember I was shaking so bad. Ahhh! Please lmk! Thanks guys!

It depends. I know in my area they do. I was asked to do a seperate makeup interview before becoming permanent. But my friend freelanced in a different region and she didn't have to do another demo interview when she became permanent. If you end up having to do a demo, I wouldn't worry too much. Use the opportunity to get ideas from the trainer so you can be successful as a permanent employee.

Sushi~Flower

Re: Demo for freelancers

Quote:
Iʻm a freelancer, been so for about a year now, and was recently told about a perm position opening up. I was wondering, if your already a freelancer, do you have to do a demo interview again, or is it just questions about sales? I hated the demo during my freelancing interview. I remember I was shaking so bad. Ahhh! Please lmk! Thanks guys!

I freelanced for 2 months and the got a call asking if I was interested in a perm position. I went in for the interview with my resume and portfolio. I was not asked to to do a demo. It was a pretty standard Q&A interview
smiles.gif

Good Luck!

Chrystia

Quote:
Thank you so much guys, do you recall what kinds of questions you were asked?

A lot of the questions will likely be similar to your first interview. They will probably ask you to critique the makeup you did on your model though. Be confident in your work, but be fair. If you know that you messed up the eyeliner, say "I loved everything except the liner".

hello everyone i have a job fair for mac tomorrow and i am highly nervous.. i believe i am ready however, i wanted some advice on this little problem i am having,
since i am a freelance makeup artist i tend to use professional makeup artist brands for foundation like rcma, yaby, etc.. full coverage cream foundations.
so my model i am bringing, she has a bit of acne on her checks, and blemishes. my RCMA foundation covers it very well, so my question is what foundations
to you guys think i should use? i was thinking studio tech or fix fluid? would studio powder foudation work as well? or msf? help anyone lol

Diana

kd0ll

I KNOW ITS A LITTLE LATE BUT HOW DID IT GO?? IVE NEVER HEARD OF A JOB FAIR FOR MAC.. BUTI DO HAVE SOME ADVICE FOR YOU!

REALLY KNOW THE PRODUCTS YOUR USING..MAKE SURE YOU USE THE APPRPRIATE SKINCARE AND FOUNDATION FOR HER SKIN TYPE!!
IS YOUR MODELS SKIN DRY OR OILY?? IF ITS OILY STUDIO FIX FLUID IS AMAZING BECAUSE IT ABSORDS OIL AND GIVES A MATTE FINISH!! SET IT WITH A MINERAL POWDER OR THE TRANSPARENT POWDER FOR A FLAWLESS LOOK... IF YOU WANT TO REALLY SCOR EPOINTS... THE CAREBLEND POWDERS ARE NEW AND WOULD BLOW THEM AWAY TO USE NEW PRODUCTS!!! DRY SKIN CAN BE TRICKY!! DEFINITELY ALWAYS USE A MOISTURIZER... COMPLETE CONFORT CREME IS GREAT... FOR THE FOUNDATION I WOULD USE SATINFINIISH MINERAL LIQUID OR EVEN STUDIO SCULPY((COVERS A LITTLE BETER ))

MAC IS A RETAIL COMPANY AND AT THE END OF THE DAY SALES ARE EVERYTHING... SO REALLY EXPLAIN WHAT YOUR USING AND WHY! ... SHOW AND TEACH... HAND OVER THE BRUSH AND ASK THEM TO TRY WHAT YOU JUST DID AS A TECHNIQUE...

NEVER DOUBLE DIP... GRAB WANDS FOR ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING...

AND DONT GRAB A MILLION EYESHADOWS... TRY TO KEEP IT TO 3-4 ... IT WILL HELP WITH TIMING SINCE IM SURE THAT YOU WILL BE TIMED ON A MAKEUP DEMO

TRY NOT TO SURE YOUR NRVOUS... BE CONFIDENT AND SHOW IT ... NOT COCKY... CONFIDENT... IN WHAT YOUR DOING AND HOW YOUR EXPLAINING WHAT YOUR DOING

OTHER THAN THAT JUST MAKE SURE YOU WEAR ALL BLACK AND YOUR HAIR AND MAKEUP IN ON POINT!!!!

GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE YU GET IT!!!

I KNOW ITS A LITTLE LATE BUT HOW DID IT GO?? IVE NEVER HEARD OF A JOB FAIR FOR MAC.. BUTI DO HAVE SOME ADVICE FOR YOU!

REALLY KNOW THE PRODUCTS YOUR USING..MAKE SURE YOU USE THE APPRPRIATE SKINCARE AND FOUNDATION FOR HER SKIN TYPE!!
IS YOUR MODELS SKIN DRY OR OILY?? IF ITS OILY STUDIO FIX FLUID IS AMAZING BECAUSE IT ABSORDS OIL AND GIVES A MATTE FINISH!! SET IT WITH A MINERAL POWDER OR THE TRANSPARENT POWDER FOR A FLAWLESS LOOK... IF YOU WANT TO REALLY SCOR EPOINTS... THE CAREBLEND POWDERS ARE NEW AND WOULD BLOW THEM AWAY TO USE NEW PRODUCTS!!! DRY SKIN CAN BE TRICKY!! DEFINITELY ALWAYS USE A MOISTURIZER... COMPLETE CONFORT CREME IS GREAT... FOR THE FOUNDATION I WOULD USE SATINFINIISH MINERAL LIQUID OR EVEN STUDIO SCULPY((COVERS A LITTLE BETER ))

MAC IS A RETAIL COMPANY AND AT THE END OF THE DAY SALES ARE EVERYTHING... SO REALLY EXPLAIN WHAT YOUR USING AND WHY! ... SHOW AND TEACH... HAND OVER THE BRUSH AND ASK THEM TO TRY WHAT YOU JUST DID AS A TECHNIQUE...

NEVER DOUBLE DIP... GRAB WANDS FOR ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING...

AND DONT GRAB A MILLION EYESHADOWS... TRY TO KEEP IT TO 3-4 ... IT WILL HELP WITH TIMING SINCE IM SURE THAT YOU WILL BE TIMED ON A MAKEUP DEMO

TRY NOT TO SURE YOUR NRVOUS... BE CONFIDENT AND SHOW IT ... NOT COCKY... CONFIDENT... IN WHAT YOUR DOING AND HOW YOUR EXPLAINING WHAT YOUR DOING

OTHER THAN THAT JUST MAKE SURE YOU WEAR ALL BLACK AND YOUR HAIR AND MAKEUP IN ON POINT!!!!

GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE YU GET IT!!!

thanks so much for your response
eyelove.gif
however, i let my nerves get the best of me :-( i did well in the verbal interview however, you did notice how nervous i was, but the artist that interviewed me was so sweet, and felt i should be working for MAC. for the demo i was given a look that consisted of a rep lip look, liner, foundation concealer shadows in 20MINS!!!!! i mean 30- 40 mins would of been great smh.. so i already was nervous and my model had a little bit of acne and i just wanted a flawless canvas, i tried to sanitized everything accordingly, however, i forget to wipe my shadows but with everything else i used alcohol. i tried to explain everything but i was just nervous, and i messed up on the liner and lips. they mentioned i did a very good job in the foundation and concealer, but i could of spoken much more to my model... i'll guess 3 times a charm lol i'll try again.

Jonathon

Thanks guys for all your help. I have my interview in the Deer Park store (Illinois) on Sunday!! I hope I get it..I'll post my story here..any quick tips?

paparazziboy

good luck jonathan its a great company to work for!!! this site helped me land my permanent position with the company. just do what everyone says if u have any questions i would be happy to help email me at [email protected] or find me on facebook eloy guerra. im sure u will rock just stay calm and breathe and study and know this history and the products and why you are doing what you are doing show and teach if you can

Jonathon

thanks for that info unfortunately responding 40 minutes to the callback EMail wasn't quick enough so all the slots for the 2nd interview were filled before she responded to me. Anyone else have this problem?

paparazziboy

we have had a job fair i guess u could call it. 2 weeks ago i walked into the counter to see my assistant regional manager here with with people doing makeup demos it was crazy all day so many people doing demos. when u get that email or call u need to respond right away mac doesn't play its so hard to get into the company so if you want it u have to jump at any chance you get

Jonathon

Didn't know that, thanks for the advice. I will make sure I am checking my emails at all times then...unfortunately that's not very fair to someone w/o a smart phone and instant email access. Seems like MAC might be able to do a better job with this, make improvements etc.

tatii

hi erin thats wonderful congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have a few questions. i actually have my 2nd m.a.c interview TODAY at 4:30pm and a bit nervous. I just came out of beauty school about 2wks ago and still havnt experienced much on applying application other faces besides mine. Im not to familiar with m.a.c cosmetics products. i really do want this job for many reasons and to expand my experiences and learn as much as i can within the company and grow!. How can i ACE my interview ???? any tips for me ??? thanks :)

hvl22

Hey everyone! I have a quick question! I have my make up demo next thursday, however the recruiter told me I need to bring my own clean make up brushes, but didn't say it had to be MAC brushes I have pretty much just the basic MAC brushes but I don't know if i should take the ones that are not mac? Helpppppp!!!

paparazziboy

use only mac brushes u only really need 3 brushes a 217 266 for sure and for the face a 188 187 or 130 is all you really need

hvl22

Thank you soooooo much Paparazziboy :) Another question, if I take one 224 brush and use it for eye shadow but also want to use it to blend the concealer, should I wipe it off with tissue then reuse, ugh am stressing out to much :( I want this job so bad :/ Thanks!!

paparazziboy

yes you can that is what i do for the face brushes to show case how versatile the brushes can be only use 3 brushes in your application if you can. if u have a 217 then use that over the 224 because u can place your product and blend them out with it. as a MAC artist is its our go to brush for doing makeup.

AnnieRios

hello everybody! i am new here so bare with me! but anyways my local mac counter is hirning & i applied & might have a demo comming up! i am sooo nervous! any tips for me? i have little retail expierience but do have makeup expierience, do you think that will ruin my chances of getting in? also please feel free to look in my ablum of work and CRITICE my work! i appretiate honesty:)

beautymahrk

Hello everyone!

I had my demo three weeks ago....the manager said i did good and she loved it, and that now I have to wait for Homa to call me about locations. But I haven't heard from her. Idk what I should do or not do..lol...has anybody ever experienced this before? I'm a lil confused...lol