MAC employees: Following trends.

GreekChick

As we all know, MAC is a fashion brand, and is known for staying ahead of the trends. MAC artists are suppose to have a unique sense of style, following the trends, with some avant-gardiste ideas thrown into the mix.
How do you manage to stay trendy, season after season? Doesn't it get expensive for you?
In your opinion, with makeup application set aside, do more clients approach you when you're wearing the latest trends?

It does get expensive after a while. Trends come and go, and when you have no choice but to wear what's in, considering you are working for a fashion brand, you lose your head in the end. I have noticed the artists wearing clothes fashion has already disregarded have very low sales.
My closet is full of black clothes. Half of these clothing, I have to give away, considering how off they look when I wear them. It's amazing how I can buy one gorgeous pair of pants on month, and reconsider if I should still be wearing them to the counter, the next month.
I can't afford it anymore, so I was wondering how everyone felt about how often one should change their look at MAC.

calbear

I have never had that prolem - I don't think I own one thing 'in fashion' and I was number 1 in sales for the last fiscal year. Your skills and attitude seem to play a bigger role, at least in most of this region (don't want to speak for other areas).

amoona

I work downtown to I do notice then when you look put together, from clothes to make-up, you'll get more costumers. They expect a lot from us. Honest I hit up Forever 21 constantly because it's cheap. Plus when I go down to LA I shop a lot in the Alley.

Bernadette

I haven't had this problem because I kind of just stick to my own personal style which is along the lines of rockabilly/pin-upish 50's stuff, rather than buying things that are very trendy. I'm most often in one of my many pencil skirts and some kind of fitted top. I think if you go for more timeless items you still look extremely polished and put together without having to get rid of your clothes the next month. I think it's wiser to invest in more trendy jewlery instead. I really do think it is important to look the part and not just wear a black tank and black capris or skirt everyday because not only do some customers not react as wlel to you but it jsut kind of brings the appearnace of the counter down. Ultimately I think sticking to your own style is your best bet no matter what but ideally that style will be, well, stylish.

giz2000

I don't keep up with the fashion trends because, frankly, I am older than the average MAC MA and don't want to look ridiculous. That being said, I stay within the more classic styles (wrap dresses, pencil skirts, etc) and just update with accessories and the makeup,of course. I would also venture to say that I am one of the more "toned-down" MAs as far as makeup goes, and my sales, even as a freelancer, are very high.

Bernadette

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
I don't keep up with the fashion trends because, frankly, I am older than the average MAC MA and don't want to look ridiculous. That being said, I stay within the more classic styles (wrap dresses, pencil skirts, etc) and just update with accessories and the makeup,of course. I would also venture to say that I am one of the more "toned-down" MAs as far as makeup goes, and my sales, even as a freelancer, are very high.

That's funny because my makeup is mor eon the toned-down side as well and my sales are so far, the best at my counter. I do use bold colors but with a lighter hand than some. I have a lot of customers that tell me that they come to me because of this
smiles.gif

little_angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
That's funny because my makeup is mor eon the toned-down side as well and my sales are so far, the best at my counter. I do use bold colors but with a lighter hand than some. I have a lot of customers that tell me that they come to me because of this
smiles.gif

I really think it makes a difference, because the more 'toned down' looks are more customer friendly. We sell what we wear, and customers are more likely to buy a look that they are excited to recreate.

I noticed my sales where higher when I did a clean, matte brown/neutral eye and bold lips.

dmenchi

Quote:
I haven't had this problem because I kind of just stick to my own personal style which is along the lines of rockabilly/pin-upish 50's stuff, rather than buying things that are very trendy. I'm most often in one of my many pencil skirts and some kind of fitted top. I think if you go for more timeless items you still look extremely polished and put together without having to get rid of your clothes the next month. I think it's wiser to invest in more trendy jewlery instead. I really do think it is important to look the part and not just wear a black tank and black capris or skirt everyday because not only do some customers not react as wlel to you but it jsut kind of brings the appearnace of the counter down. Ultimately I think sticking to your own style is your best bet no matter what but ideally that style will be, well, stylish.

Same here , i love the classic glamour look and i keep my personal style. i really don't like total fashion victims( every body wears the same stuff-soo boring), eventhough i studied fashion design..i think you just need to learn how to mix stuff and be creative to have a balance between latest style and personal style... the best dress artist IMO are those that do that...

dmenchi

Quote:
smiles.gif

Totally agree, people always come in for interviews with the craziest makeup, totally overdone- I know it's MAC but most people can relate to wearable makeup. if you wear something really nice and not over the top, your customers will change from teens (with a 20$ bugdet) to sophisticated women (and there is the real mula -LOL), as they always ask 'what are you wearing '? and it's a great ego-boost as well
rofl.gif

giz2000

Some elements of my "toned-down" look (and I usually end up selling a ton of the products when I wear them): Woodwinked eyeshadow paired with just about anything, Beaux or Viva Glam V lipglass, and Blushbaby blush. Never fails...
smiles.gif

Bernadette

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
Some elements of my "toned-down" look (and I usually end up selling a ton of the products when I wear them): Woodwinked eyeshadow paired with just about anything, Beaux or Viva Glam V lipglass, and Blushbaby blush. Never fails...
smiles.gif

Hahaha I'm totally wearing a prime eye with some Matte2, Viva V lips and blushbaby today!
I <3 Viva V, the other day I sold 11 of them in a five hour shift just because I was wearing it. Lipstick and glass that is.