MAC emplyee

iluvmakeup7

hey I'm just curious if there are any MAC artists on here
and how do you get a job there
and the perks of course

thanks

civicbabe627

I'm a freelance artist for MAC.

Free-lance artist perks are that you get to work when you want to, and that you get to work at multiple counters/stores if you have them in your area. You don't get gratis or an employee Pro Card, though. So that stinks!

If you get hired as a permanent part-time then you get the gratis and pro card, and you also get guaranteed hours at the store or counter that you are hired at.

You have to take in your resume and a completed application (get one from the store or counter) and hand it to a manager. They have open calls for hiring artists once every couple months, or maybe every month in your area. You'll go in with another copy of the application and your resume, and dress in all black with your makeup done and they will give you a 5-10 minute verbal interview. If they like you, they'll invite you back for the second interview. The second interview is a group interview where you'll be asked questions about the company, product knowledge, sales knowledge, etc. and then you'll be asked to do makeup on a model (that you will have to provide). Our models got switched when we got there, so we were doing each others models makeup. The ''look'' for the interview is decided by whoever interviews you. Then after you do the makeup they'll talk to the models and then bring you in and say thank you, we'll call you. Then within about a week or so you should know if you have a job or not.

I know some interview processes are different, but that's how mine was. Hope that helps!

iluvmakeup7

freelance meaning you dont need a makeup artisit certificate or course ? Its a side business?

Since you know the interview process..do you work at mac ?

thanks for the great inside feedback. I hate group interviews, :(

Hi Everyone,

So im new to Specktra and just got hired by MAC. Got my call a few weeks ago saying that I passed my makeup interview and that she would have more info for me as to where and what i'm going to do, once another recruiter gets back!
Its been almost 4 weeks since I have heard back from the her! I left a "touch base" message a couple weeks back and still nothing! Does anyone know how long this process normally takes and if I should call to touch base with her again? I know she is probably really busy, having been a Manager myself! Is this a normal waiting period in the hiring process for MAC?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Lovelies!!
E

AllyDVon

Hi Everyone,

So im new to Specktra and just got hired by MAC. Got my call a few weeks ago saying that I passed my makeup interview and that she would have more info for me as to where and what i'm going to do, once another recruiter gets back!
Its been almost 4 weeks since I have heard back from the her! I left a "touch base" message a couple weeks back and still nothing! Does anyone know how long this process normally takes and if I should call to touch base with her again? I know she is probably really busy, having been a Manager myself! Is this a normal waiting period in the hiring process for MAC?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Lovelies!!
E
It doesn't hurt to call back just to check how everything is going.
But, generally around (and during) the holidays, it can get kind of backed up.
So, I wouldn't worry too much. :p
Congrats, by the way!

Hi Ladies,

So, Its been over 5 weeks since i have heard anything from the hiring manager that i revived a call from congratulating me that i got hired! Im not sure what i should do next. I have left her several messages over the weeks just to "touch base" and see if she has heard anything, her message to me stated that i would be on her bench so to speak, but i have yet to hear anything from her! Im thinking this isnt normal??? Does anyone have any suggestions at all to what i should do? Im super eager to start working and i need to start soon! i just wish i could get some kind of answer from her even if its an" I don't know yet" or something! I have a couple freelance gigs coming up and i certainly dont want it to conflict with anything that MAC might have me do!
Any suggestions from you all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
E

valentine580

Heard anything back yet?
Hi Ladies, So, Its been over 5 weeks since i have heard anything from the hiring manager that i revived a call from congratulating me that i got hired! Im not sure what i should do next. I have left her several messages over the weeks just to "touch base" and see if she has heard anything, her message to me stated that i would be on her bench so to speak, but i have yet to hear anything from her! Im thinking this isnt normal??? Does anyone have any suggestions at all to what i should do? Im super eager to start working and i need to start soon! i just wish i could get some kind of answer from her even if its an" I don't know yet" or something! I have a couple freelance gigs coming up and i certainly dont want it to conflict with anything that MAC might have me do!  Any suggestions from you all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! E

cemc

I dropped off my resume and spoke to a keyholder a couple weeks ago. The stores doesn't have a manager, so the keyholder told me to call in a week and speak to the assistant manager. She asked me a couple questions and said she really loved my answers. She wrote some notes down on my resume, expressed she liked me a lot and is anxious for me to speak with her assistant manager. I called back 6 days later to speak with the assistant manager and she basically just told me to become friends with employees at all the MAC stores in the area and try to get into one of their career fairs. She asked my name but didn't even get my resume to look at it. I have no idea if this is normal or what I should do next? Is this the only way you can get a job at MAC?

thenightlook

That sounds odd cemc... And definitely disappointing =\ She is right about becoming friends with them though... Or at least asking each counter/store nearby if the hiring manager is there and giving them a resume and letting them know you're interested & ask if any positions are available.. But be prepared for an impromptu interview. Keep checking indeed and craigslists for job fairs

cemc

Thank you - it is discouraging but I'm keeping my head up. I've become friends with one of the girls there and she's offered to teach me some tricks! I will get there one day.

jfinch85

I freelance for MAC while I LOVE their products I can't say the same for being a freelancer! It is a very competative industry and even MORE competative for a job at MAC. You need to have a thick skin and they really like prior customer service experience and if you have any other experience (makeup certificate from a school, license in esthetics or cosmo) it really helps in the hiring process. Just keep being "annoying" it shows how much you want it. I would say if you don't hear back after a month maybe it's time to start looking for other opportunities! Remember, there are a lot of other makeup jobs out there and while MAC is AWESOME it's not the end all be all! You can be successful anywhere if you have talent!