mac eyepaint vs vaseline (both for a base)

laura-doll

hey people
so ive noticed some people useing vaseline as a base in FOTD's
so i thought i would try it out against eyepaint (wich i use all the time for a base)
i used

Teal
Kitchmas
Copper Sparkle
and
Rose Pigments

here are some pics
IMG_0004-2.jpg

IMG_0005-2.jpg

IMG_0006-1.jpg

put abit to much eyepaint on for the rose one but you get the idea
IMG_0007-2.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

upsides/downsides (imo)

eyepaint..
not sticky
doesnt leave a nasty residue on the brushes
colour doesnt stand out as much as it does with vaseline
but i still love eyepaint lol

vaseline..
i think it would make the lids feel sticky
leaves a nasty residue on the brushes that youve spent lots of money on (but hey thats why they made brush cleanser)
colour stand out more (altho i didnt like it for copper sparkle)

whats your opinions
xx

goodbyexxkitty

I used to use stuff like vaseline and chapstick when I first started playing around with eyeshadow. It creases some but not as much as if you didn't use a base.

MAC is love

I know a lot of people use stuff like chapstick & vaseline for bases. It DOES make the colors look beautiful. But it's just not made for the eyes, and I don't wanna risk hurting 'em. My eyesight is too precious!! haha

MACATTAK

I've used the smallest, I mean SMALLEST amount of vaseline & it still seems to crease on me at some point during the day. I hate that factor, because it the color really does stand out better
ssad.gif

BlahWah

Ditto to all the comments up there, and to add to downsides of paint, it actually makes my makeup look, not just less vibrant, but actually chalky. I keep giving Bare Canvas and Baselight a chance but neither really rock it for me. UDPP is the best base for no creasing, dries nicely and keeps the colour true. I know the original post is just to compare paint against vaseline, but I can't help but mention how UDPP has the pros of each and virtually no downsides!

spectrolite

I really love how bold the colours become with a vaseline or chapstick base but I HATE what it does to my precious brushes...yuck! And by the end of the day I definately have some creasing going on.

La Ilusion

I find that if i apply a very thin (barely visible) layer of paint with my finger instead of a brush, I don't have trouble with color intensity or chalkiness but I still get the benefit of no creasing.

me_jelly

Vaseline does make the colors more vibrant (although it sometimes makes colors too "shiny", even matte colors, which I don't like) - but vaseline is just not make to be put near the eyes so I think that's a little risky - Also I agree with the others in that it doesn't fully dry/get absorbed so in the end it may cause more creasing (well, at least it creased on me like crazy).

All in all, MAC paints are still my fav and fool-proof base

mezzamy

vaseline only makes the colours seem more vibrant because the product is moist and all colours are more intense when wet. you're better off using your shadows/pigments with mixing medium as it gives a brighter colour but it sets and isnt going to crease like vaseline. vaseline will just sit on top of your lids and slide right off

paints will increase the staying power of your products but only use a thin layer. i highly recommend Urban Decay Primer Potion. it never looks chalky or crepey, it makes the colours really vibrant and there is absolutely no creasing

GemmaAntonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Ilusion
I find that if i apply a very thin (barely visible) layer of paint with my finger instead of a brush, I don't have trouble with color intensity or chalkiness but I still get the benefit of no creasing.

Thats what I do
thmbup.gif

I HATE using vaseline, the only thing I use vaseline for is holding my eyebrows in place when I've ran out of hairspray.

glittergoddess27

I used to use this as a base,.. but Now I use a Cream Colored base like Luna or pearl when I want a foiled look. Patting the shadow on top of it help keep the residue from getting too worked down into the brush,.. but again you still have to be careful or you'll end up with that residue layer on top of your pan shadows.

courters

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Ilusion

I do the same thing. I just get the tiniest bit on my finger and blend it out.

laura-doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by courters
I do the same thing. I just get the tiniest bit on my finger and blend it out.

same here

hokidoki

I read some where that vaseline over time will cause bumps on eyelid skin. I'm not sure how true that is but it was an article written by a dermatologist. I'm not willing to test that out though.

clamster

I would think using vaseline is Dangerous because dirt particles will stick to it and it may become running if it's heated enough and I would think washing it off would be a pain. Also Vaseline creases way more then MAC paints.

user79

Also, wouldn't the grease from the brush transfer back to the eyeshadow puts with double dipping? I know I dip into the e/s a few times to apply it to my eye...sounds a bit gross.