MAC eyeshadow questions

mizvolta

Hi everyone!
I'm a bit new to makeup, and I usually go with basic looks. However, I've been wanting to try out doing more things with my eyes. I use MAC products and I love them, but they are quite expensive! Do you think the eyeshadows/pigments are worth it, or is it better to get a cheaper brand? Are they just overpriced because of the brand name, or are there advantages in terms of the way they look? I was looking at brands like E.L.F., but the extremely cheap price scares me off.
Also, if you believe MAC is better, could you recommend a couple of shadows/pigments that are the most versatile? I have blonde hair, green eyes, I'm quite pale (I wear NC 20 foundation). Thanks so much! I want some evening looks, but it'd be ideal to pick something that could be made dramatic easily? I don't know, so I'll just leave this to your advice.
specktra_rocks.gif

Skin*Deep

MAC is totally worth it, and really it is very reasonable and inexpensive compared to other department store brands of the same quality! I think the color payoff and longevity of the colors leaves Dior and Chanel in the dust.... who needs to pay 30 bucks for an eyeshadow?!

Bonitinha

MAC Pigments are really cool/fun -- but they are pricey and I will never get through a full jar.
I would invest in some good shadows. With your coloring -- I bet purples on your eyes would be gorgeous!
I love MAC colors like Purple Iris (lid), Nocturnelle (crease), Shadowy Lady (outer V/lower lashline), Vanilla (browbone). I also like Sketch, Plum Dressing, and Fig. 1. So many options. Your best bet is to go into a MAC store and ask the artists to do a makeup demo on you.
Try out any colors you like -- I love anything from neturals, to greys/silvers, purples/blues -- it is just finding the right shade of that color that will work. I started out with just a few colors, and now have like 50 shadows. It becomes quite the hobby.
Have fun!

kittykit

All my e/s are from MAC. I don't buy drugstore. I've tried NYX (good quality but I'm allergic to them). MAC e/s definitely worth the money, IMO
smiles.gif

I agree with Bonitinhan, the best is to go to your nearest MAC store and get the MA to recommend and try some colours on you. That's what I normally do.
smiles.gif

vintageroses

Ahhs, i love MAC because the pigment is amazing & the colours are pretty! You could go to the MAC counter like what everyone suggest or if you can't go to one you can order the Trip Palette!

But if you wanna save & not spend so much you could try Coastal Scents 88 coloured palette. Yes there are 88 colours! I think it's a good starting out palette, you can get to try all the different colours! I personally do not have it because i just got into eyeshadows but i just ordered one & my friend who has it does amazing stuff with it!
smiles.gif

HTH

Teggy

I always recommend quads (for any brand really). They always consist of complimentary colors and they're usually an excellent value.

MACwinked

I recently purchased both of the Coastal Scents palettes and absolutely hated them. I gave them both to my younger cousin who is really getting into trying on make-up.

I own around 180 eyeshadows, all from MAC and I will never buy anything else. I've tried a few Urban Decay shadows as well as Sigma shadows, but nothing really comes close to the color payoff and longevity of my MAC shadows.

I'm around NC15 and there are a few go-to shades I have like All That Glitters, Woodwinked, Trax, Romp, but I agree with the others that the best idea is to head over to a MAC Counter and have one of the M.A.s help you pick some out!

Latest posts