MAC eyeshadows...older or fake?

Eugenia

Hi!

I just won and received two MAC e/s on ebay--Club and Brun. When I received them, I immediately noticed some differences from the recent shadows I've bought at retail or swapped for.

Here's a pic of a different shade from same seller.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MAC-EYESHADOW-HU...QQcmdZViewItem

First, they were difficult to open and there was no tension in the lid as it opened up (it did not open all the way as some fakes might). Then the MAC lettering on top of the case was a bit thicker. As is the lettering on the box. Lastly, there are four small embossed circles on the inside of the lid that one can see when open.

When I questioned the seller about this, she wrote back and said they were definitely authentic and she also verified this from her supplier and quoted him/her to me, that they have receipts, etc. So I'm now feeling bad, thinking I was too suspicious/paranoid and jumped to a wrong conclusion.

She explained the difference as this being an older version of the product. That there were manufactured in 2005. So now I'm wondering why it was advertised as BNIB when it's obviously two years old. lol..Oh well, live and learn. Do you think an eyeshadow this old is not good?

I think the only way I can be sure of the authenticity is to take it to my MAC counter, where I will be shamed and humbled. lol. The MA there will be able to say for sure, based just on the texture.

Anyway, just sharing to ask your thoughts on this. Aside from the fact that it was perhaps foolish to get on ebay for so little savings.

Thanks in advance!

sleepyhead

BNIB just means it's never been used and still has the box. they could be very old, but BNIB.

the picture is not very clear, but it looks fine to me. unfortunately, the lettering on the packagings do not always have the same thickness, so that cannot really be used as a solid proof.

i'm assuming the 4 circles you are talking about is on the outter edge of the black ring (on the inside of the top lid). they are more like half circles (cut off by the edges), right? i can see them on my mac shadow pots too (bought in stores and they are made this year).

i think they are probably authentic. club is such a unique shade, so it would be hard to make a fake that looks like the real one. if you are still worried, and do not want to ask the MA's at the mac counter, just swatch the shadows at the counter (on a piece of paper), and bring the swatches home to compare.

panda0410

I wouldnt worry too much about your Club! As above posted its a totally unique duochrome shade that would be hard to replicate.

Also with the inner circles on the lid - I have seen these in authentic eyeshadow packaging as far back as High Tea (2003-2005) while the newer ones (2006-2007) dont seem to have them at all.

The print on the lids often have inconsistencies which is not unique to fakes - these inconsistencies are also seen in authentic mac items as well.

totally agreed with sleepyhead - bnib could mean 10 years old, just never used and still in box
winks.gif
I bought a bnib lippie which was 4 years old...lol!!

Re the age of the eyeshadow - I wouldnt worry at 2 years - mac stock has a standard shelf life of 36 months, but really it can be used for a long time afterwards if it doesnt smell "bad" or go yukky in the pan/pot. I have seen eyeshadows as old as 8 years still being used and still "good" - just make sure you keep it in a dry moisture free area
smiles.gif

HTH!
smiles.gif

Eugenia

Thanks to both of you...I feel much reassured now.

panda...our package has not yet arrived. : (

MACATTAK

I've received some like this, but from a different seller. My seller had said they were made in Canada, so they were a little different. I don't know if that's the reason, but this particular seller had pages & pages of info on fakes, so I don't think they would be selling them. Plus the colors matched what I have & all had the names & numbers on them, so they were fine.

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenia
Thanks to both of you...I feel much reassured now.

panda...our package has not yet arrived. : (

LOL, thats OK
winks.gif
the dry products like eyeshadow, blush, pigments, beauty powders etc can last for years and years without ever going bad if you store them right!

Um, I hope it comes soon! Maybe after the weekend
hmm.gif