Mac Foundation Colour Troubles

Kuki

I am getting FED UP with MAC foundations and the MAs.
I'm with yellow undertones but i have freckles and my nose and cheek areas are very pink. I knew for a fact that I am somewhere between NC 25-30. NC 25 is a little too light. NC 30 is too yellow.
I've asked many many many many MA's most say I'm around NC 25-30. yesterday I went to the pro store in london and ma said i was NC40... i looked stupid with nc40 on me! so i left and went to selfridges. the ma suggested i try NW even thought im slightly yellow based.
the ma was lovely. she put Studio sculpt NW 25/30 (i cant remember which) on one side of my face and NC 30 on the other. the NC looked green on my forehead and chin. so she decided to put NW all over and then went ahead and put medium dark MSF on the darker parts of my face (forehead etc) and then she also put on select loose in NC30. MY FACE LOOKED PERFECT!!!!!! it matched my neck perfectly no weird lines, looked amazing!! even in different lights etc.
ive got back home...100 miles away from london, i put on NW30 that she sold me and it looks toooo red, doesnt match my neck at all. what went wrong?????? should i have had NW25? it couldnt have been the lights in selfridges because my mum was with me, and i kept asking her how it looked in different lights and she agreed it was lovely.
i said to the ma yesterday, if they dont match me properly i vow never to use mac foundations again! but yesterday it looked great, now by myself, its ugly! :-( HELP

Simply Elegant

Why don't you match your neck? That way it's flawless. My neck is a few shades darker than my face and that's what I do because otherwise I have a porcelain face and darker neck.

kathyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Elegant
Why don't you match your neck? That way it's flawless. My neck is a few shades darker than my face and that's what I do because otherwise I have a porcelain face and darker neck.

Ditto. My neck is lighter than my face, which is very red. Got matched as an NW20 years ago. I had oompa loompa face until I tried N3, which is the exact shade of my neck and, surprisingly, not too light on my face, as I would have thought. With MAC, I've found you have to try a couple shades before you get the right one.

gildedangel

Yes, I agree with trying to match your neck. If the coloring is vastly different, consider using two different foundations for the different parts of your face.

ForgetRegret

Unfortunately, MAC foundation just doesn't work for some people...I've been using MAC for years and years and years...and STILL haven't found a perfect foundation shade yet. It's extremely frustrating...the best I can do is wear an NC15 foundation with an NW5 powder to lighten and tone down the yellow. You may want to nix the frustration altogether and go with a different brand. I was matched to a perfect MUFE shade in minutes...either way, GL, I know searching for the right foundation is a pain.

LeeleeBell

Aw that sucks! .... I kinda avoid MAC foundations because I have sensitive skin and it seems to break SO many people out....But I did go in and try to get color tested...a few times, just so I could come in to forums and have a reference. 2 people said I was a NC20 and 2 people said I was NW20. I think it varied according to lighting and the clothes I was wearing.
th_dunno.gif
I personally
thought I was an NC (warm)...but now they have me confused lol

ForgetRegret

^^ I think the problem sometimes is that either people have both undertones (I have yellow and pink, depending on the area), neutral undertones, or the MA just matches wrong. Because I've got a bit of both in my skin, I can't wear the MAC shades because the NC makes me look jaundiced, and the NW makes me turn orange.
HEY MAC!!! START MAKING SOME STRAIGHT UP NEUTRAL LIQUID FOUNDATIONS!!!! YOU HEAR ME???? DO IT NOW!
*sigh* Not all of us lean toward one direction or another, and not all of us want a foundation that's so yellow or pink, whether we're warm, cool, neutral, orange, green, purple, or blue. I hate you MAC foundation.

Also, Leelee, it may change because some MA's may decide that you have yellowish undertones, and you want to neutralize them, and others may decide that you want a foundation to match your yellowish undertones. =-\

beby24

It may be a matter of mixing. See some people including MA think they can find there perfect shade in just one bottle, for some it may work but for some not.

This weekend I had to mix a warm foundation with a neutral one to get the perfect match. It may be what you need to do too.

LeeleeBell

Ya, but that can be a lot of money. I would rather just find *one* that matches

Quote:
Originally Posted by beby24
It may be a matter of mixing. See some people including MA think they can find there perfect shade in just one bottle, for some it may work but for some not.

This weekend I had to mix a warm foundation with a neutral one to get the perfect match. It may be what you need to do too.

LeeleeBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetRegret
^^ I think the problem sometimes is that either people have both undertones (I have yellow and pink, depending on the area), neutral undertones, or the MA just matches wrong. Because I've got a bit of both in my skin, I can't wear the MAC shades because the NC makes me look jaundiced, and the NW makes me turn orange.
HEY MAC!!! START MAKING SOME STRAIGHT UP NEUTRAL LIQUID FOUNDATIONS!!!! YOU HEAR ME???? DO IT NOW!
*sigh* Not all of us lean toward one direction or another, and not all of us want a foundation that's so yellow or pink, whether we're warm, cool, neutral, orange, green, purple, or blue. I hate you MAC foundation.

Also, Leelee, it may change because some MA's may decide that you have yellowish undertones, and you want to neutralize them, and others may decide that you want a foundation to match your yellowish undertones. =-\

Ah, so true....eh well, I am glad I am not actually needing/wanting to purchase their foundation lol...cuz that would really be a pain.

RedRibbon

Maybe try Bobbi Brown? Her foundations are really good, my friend is a makeup artist and she knows about tones (more than me) and she said she can only mix BB foundations to give her a nice natural skin and that MAC doesn't work for her.

ForgetRegret

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeleeBell
Ya, but that can be a lot of money. I would rather just find *one* that matches

I'm still voting for MUFE...if you can get to a Sephora, they've got a pretty good range of foundation shades, or you can try Illamasqua too. Lots of girls on here who couldn't find MAC matches found love with Illamasqua. GL!

Shadowy Lady

I've had (and still have) so many foundation problems. I'm also Iranian maybe slightly darker than you, and quite pink/red toned. My best match in MAC was Studio Sculpt in NW25. Except this is too light for my summer tan, and NW30 is too dark :/ For years I was matched NC30 in studio fix which matched my neck (sorta) but made my face look orange.

MAC unfortunately doesn't have a wide array of colours when it comes to foundation. I would say try either MUFE HD or F&B. I have had great experience with my sample of MUFE HD (need to get a full size one). Finding the right foundation is def a long journey...but it's so exciting when you find your match
smiles.gif

AppleDiva

I am with the others, find another brand. When I used MAC foundation, I used 2, which is costly. I spent between $40 and $56 depending where I bought them. I find that my skin tone is Neutral, which is why the NC and NW were no good on my skin. Right now, I am loving MUFE HD, Estee Lauder Double Wear and Clinique Perfectly Real™ Makeup to name a few.

elektra513

I know how you feel. I am unfortunately in between shades in MOST foundation brands. I am so tired of having to search that I've settled on a couple of brands (not MAC) and mix the two that are closest. Simply because my skin would change on a regular basis. My skincare regimen is great now, so I don't need a lot of coverage, so that also makes it easier to get the foundation right.

But yeah, finding the "perfect match" in foundation is a pain in the ass.

User38

I have the same problems. I am an NC15 or less for MAC reference. I am #117 MUFe.. and so on. Each line of products has different color points for foundation and generallly I find that MAC is darker than other lines.

I am ready to try the Illamasqua soon as I think there is a good match for me.

Also, be aware that MAC foundations oxidize terribly and do change after application
ssad.gif