MAC Foundations for Photography

laceface

So I'm looking at getting a line of MAC foundations for my kit. I've heard MAC Face & Body is the best for photography. However, I have also heard this is very sheer. I want something high coverage (because lets face it, even models don't have perfect skin) with no spf. Is MAC Face & Body buildable? Or should I lean more towards their cream foundations. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

Almond_Eyed

Haha, I've actually been doing research on this exact topic... except not exclusive to MAC foundations. There's a thread about foundation on bridal photography which might be useful:

http://www.specktra.net/forum/f188/b...ography-51649/

I hear mixed reviews about MAC foundations for photography, but seems like most people suggest Studio Fix Stick Foundation if you really want MAC.

Generally, you want to avoid anything with SPF or titanium dioxide in it because these reflect light, which results in pale and washed out faces in pictures, especially flash photography.

Some other suggestions were MUFE Face and Body or MUFE HD.

Another thing I've been reading a lot about makeup for photography is powder, powder, powder!

User38

Haha, I've actually been doing research on this exact topic... except not exclusive to MAC foundations. There's a thread about foundation on bridal photography which might be useful:

I hear mixed reviews about MAC foundations for photography, but seems like most people suggest Studio Fix Stick Foundation if you really want MAC.

Generally, you want to avoid anything with SPF or titanium dioxide in it because these reflect light, which results in pale and washed out faces in pictures, especially flash photography.

err that thread was from 20006. A lot has changed in foundations and their formulation..... mainly technology. Especially HD products, gel forumulations, etc. In 2009, I think the best for photos are the HD products and some of the transfer resistant foundations with no spf. MAC foundations are, imo, not good for photography. Sorry to the all the MAC lovers
nope.gif
thmbdn.gif
. The best powders for photography are the HD powders and also the traditional powders which take away shine (Kryolan is the best!).
shockt.gif

laceface

Quote:
err that thread was from 20006. A lot has changed in foundations and their formulation..... mainly technology. Especially HD products, gel forumulations, etc. In 2009, I think the best for photos are the HD products and some of the transfer resistant foundations with no spf. MAC foundations are, imo, not good for photography. Sorry to the all the MAC lovers
nope.gif
thmbdn.gif
. The best powders for photography are the HD powders and also the traditional powders which take away shine (Kryolan is the best!).

HeyGreyness, have you tried RCMA's Shinto palette? Have you tried any of RCMA's products?

LRMakeup

Hi!
I'm going to agree with HerGreyness and say that I really do not prefer MAC foundations for photography. Face and Body is my favorite but I find it goes bad quite quickly and there is so much in the bottle that gets wasted.

My favorite foundations for photography right now (I am always experimenting
smiles.gif
) are Cinema Secrets, RCMA and MUFE HD foundations. I have also heard really good things about Graftobian.

HTH!

User38

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceface
HeyGreyness, have you tried RCMA's Shinto palette? Have you tried any of RCMA's products?

yep.. I have tried and in fact have RCMA products and Graftobian, as well as Cinema Secrets palettes. They are excellent for photography and I would very much recommend them. I was addressing the outdated link referring to MAC
smiles.gif

..kels*

I was wondering this too.. I've heard that MUFE F&B is really good for photos. I've been told that it can be used in an airbrush gun as well, whereas MAC F&B tends to clog the gun.
th_dunno.gif

Almond_Eyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almond_Eyed

nope.gif
thmbdn.gif
shockt.gif

Yes, the thread is three years old, but I posted it because I thought it was relevant... I think you generally elaborated on what I mentioned in my reply. If you read this thread, it does not say MAC is the best foundation, that's why I specifically mentioned MUFE Face and body and MUFE HD.

I'm fairly new to Specktra and I'm no makeup artist or guru (nor I claim to be), but I'd appreciate it if you would consider what I have to contribute instead of dismissing what I have to say (unless I'm totally wrong, of course). Thanks. <3

LRMakeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..kels*
I was wondering this too.. I've heard that MUFE F&B is really good for photos. I've been told that it can be used in an airbrush gun as well, whereas MAC F&B tends to clog the gun.
th_dunno.gif

To use both MAC and MUFE's face and body foundations through an airbrush, you should usually dilute it first. Since they are both water based, I dilute with water. I have tried using both of these foundations through an airbrush and I prefer the hand application a lot more. Diluting it kind of compromises the longevity and makes it much more sheer.

However, 99% of the time I prefer hand application so maybe Im just biased
smiles.gif

beby24

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceface

RCMA is good too but I really dont use it, however its great for photography, just a little harder to mix, I am getting used to the cremier ones like CS and graftobian that the RCMA just doesn't get that much use.

beby24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipglass*Whore
Hi!
I'm going to agree with HerGreyness and say that I really do not prefer MAC foundations for photography. Face and Body is my favorite but I find it goes bad quite quickly and there is so much in the bottle that gets wasted.

My favorite foundations for photography right now (I am always experimenting
smiles.gif
) are Cinema Secrets, RCMA and MUFE HD foundations. I have also heard really good things about Graftobian.

HTH!

You can transfer your F&B to smaller bottles and refrigerate the rest so they don't go bad.
smiles.gif
I learned that a little too late.