Mac Frost Lipsticks

Reslnt1

I've decided to try some of the MAC frost lipsticks like Sandy B but i am having trouble with the application. You see when i apply the l/s it always looks cakey and not smooth like my other l/s. Any suggestios on how i can get a smoother looking finish?

wolfsong

Ive heard that MAC's lip primer is great for lipsticks that dont apply smoothly, and stops it feathering and sinking into the lip's lines.

You can also play around with different lip balms/moisturizers (sounds weird, but nivea blue potted cream is wonderful under lipstick when applied in a thin layer - its my 'can use for anything' item like vaseline; but doesnt dry out skin, and is creamy rather than greasy) underneath - which finishes/thicknesses work best with the lipstick etc. Mixing the lipstick with lipgloss or applying gloss on top/below the lipstick may work, but will change the finish.
Exfoliating your lips may help if they're prone to flaking/'balling up'.

Do you apply straight from the tube, or use a lip brush? I do the former (laziness mostly!), but with lipsticks that are hard to work with, a brush can help you to apply a more thin, even layer.

iheartangE

I second Prep + Prime!

Also Burt's Bees lipbalm is really nice because it's minty and moisturizing but not really slimy. I put it on and then blot so it smooths out my lips evenly, then put my Prep + Prime on (or sometimes I just go straight to the lipstick).

I've also heard Benefit makes some good products like DeGroovie and Lip Plump that will help smooth out your lips. Hope that helps!

matsubie

hmm...i've heard so many good things about prep+prime lips but it's hard for me to spend money on a lip prime item when i could spend a buck or two more with that and buy a colored lipstick/gloss...(i know, i'm bad) so i just prep my lips with lip balm and top it with some foundation or concealer so that the lipstick (frost formulas, especially) can show up a bit more on my lips and will stay on a bit longer. on the other hand, lustres and glazes are made purposefully to give us the shiny-lip gloss-like finish, so i don't prep my lips for those...

prncezz

Sorry for resurrecting this post.. but I am going through the exact same thing! I just bought my first MAC frost l/s today and it was Sandy B. It's a really nice color and it reminds me of the Prr and Nymphette lipglasses. I'm happy that the lipstick formula will last longer than a lipglass... but I am not happy with how it applies on my lips. It doesn't go on nice and smooth like my lustre ones. I even get little pieces of the lipstick on my lips.. like little bumps. I don't know.. it's not very smooth at all. I tried putting Burt's Bees in under it but it doesn't help much. I really can't afford to buy MAC's Prep & Prime right now either =\

user79

Make sure you exfoliate your lips before. I find any lipstick always goes on much better when I have really smooth lips. I use a wet washcloth and rub it on my lips, it really takes off all the dead skin. Follow up with a hydrating lip balm and let it sink in for a bit, then pat off any oiliness residue, then apply lipstick, that should help.