MAC has so many eye lining products now - How do you decide which format to get?!!?

Sushi_Flower

I thought once Fluidline came out that they will become the firm favourite for most people and that there would never be anything better - but they've had the Liquidlast liners out and now Techna colour and there's still the usual pencil liners...How do you decide which format to get?

I was thinking of just sticking to Fluidlines and maybe Liquidlast if i can use them in same way using Fludiline brush..I want a purple liner and was thinking of getting a Fluidline but then looked at the purple Powerpoint and thought it looked so pretty and then started thinking is there any reason i should still buy some pencil liners?

Is there any reason you would choose a pencil liner over the Fluidliner or Liquidlast? I can only think of due to wanting a smudged or light look that isn't a 'solid' line the way liquid produces one.
And what are your reasons for choosing whatever format of liner each time?

lara

Different eyeliners perform different functions, ergo you buy the liner to suit your intended use.

Pencils will always be popular for the simple fact that they're portable and are an item that doesn't require any further commitment than a turn through a sharpener every now and then.

Sushi_Flower

Exactly, i would still buy pencils for the reason that it's easier and more convenient (in some ways) to apply when you can't have a seperate brush etc.. but i guess i mean more of in the way they look and also because i can't afford to have a certain colour in every liner format and so i find it hard to decide which format to go for. I am guessing for now pesonally i will stick to Fluidline or Liquidlast, but i miss having pencils aswell!

User67

I used to love the Powerpoints because they were easy to use & had good staying power. But, then once I got used to using the Fluidlines & found the right brush & technique I haven't used anything else. I love how they look & nothing beats their staying power, with the humidity in FL you need an eyeliner that doesn't budge. I haven't tried the Liquidlast liners yet, I imagine they are great along the top lash lines but you probably can't use them on your waterline right?

pugmommy7

i think the only way you could use liqiudlast on the watreline would be on a secondary brush, it is not too stable so i wouldn't do it, plus I wear contacts and have read(leodonatella?) that it can get stuck on them)
I am all about using the liquidlasts as bases now that i read a reccomendation of colourqueen.
ultimately, Lara is right...again!
cutey.gif

Brianne

I'm obsessed with Fluidline, I've gotten great results with them. My application technique is solid and the staying power is fab - what more do I need?

AudreyNicole

I was always a pencil girl until I got into MAC. Believe it or not, I don't own any MAC pencils, and my Covergirl one always did the job, but since I starting using fluidlines, I have not touched the pencil. I got one liquidlast to try it, and ended up giving it to my sister. It was too think and goopy for my liking and much hard to apply than the fluidlines. I have one of the technakohl liners, and like it ok. I might get Jade Way simply because I like the color and they don't have a fluidline like it. If they did, I would choose the fluidline hands down. It is definately my preferred liner.
smiles.gif

asnbrb

I like my technakohls since I don't have to wait for the thing to dry. Fluidlines like to leave a goopy black sh*t all over my contacts if I don't watch out.

Wontpayretail23

Once I got an angle brush and started using that with the fluidliners I haven't wanted to use any of my other liners. I have 9 different fluidliners, and I'm sure others have more than that! The technakohls look neet if you were on the go alot and had to transport in a makeup bag, but I don't often, so I passed on those.

bellaetoile

i was a huge fan of smolder eye kohl, until i tried the pwoerpoints and fluidlines. then, after some experimenting around, i was told that carbon eyeshadow OVER whatever other black liner makes it last forever. i really love the portability of the pencils/powerpoints, but blacktrack still remains my number 1 eyeliner. but its really inconvenient to take with me in a purse, since you need a brush, and gel liner can get messy. now, i'll use blacktrack, with carbon over it, and just throw engraved powerpoint in my bag. basically, like everyone else has said, it all depends on what you want your liner to do, where on your eye you plan on wearing it, and where you plan on applying it. i like that there are a lot of options, because you can experiment around until you find whatever works the best for you.

SMMY

I only use fluidlines now. They last so much longer and are so much easier to work with than other liquid or pencil type eyeliners. The only other liner I use occasionally is my Guerlain's Divinora eyeliner.

vivaXglamlove

i have really wet waterline (haha) and pencil never stayed. I tried fluidliner and it didn't come off till i got i took off my makeup. I do pencil sometimes if i'm in a hurry.

Lady_MAC

F.L's hands down. They're so smooth and creamy, plus I don't have to waste product to get exact line I'm looking for. When I want a thin line with my powerpoints I have to sharpen it to death. One the other hand, with f.l's I just switch brushes.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_MAC
When I want a thin line with my powerpoints I have to sharpen it to death.

Heh so true...

I still use powerpoints for most of my eyelining jobs. I have blacktrak but haven't used it enough (need better brushes I think is the main reason). So it easier for me to get a good line with a pencil.

You can't totally rule out pencil's though. I like the fact that with a pencil you can get both dark and light eyelining, depending on how hard you press/go over an area. Wheras the fluidliners only have full color.

BlahWah

Right now I don't have many liners, so mostly I'm driven by colour - if I like it, I'll get it. The only overlap I have with a colour in a different medium is violet - Non-Conformist f/l and Violet Underground e/k. So far I only have my browns in pencil form and all fun colours - except for gray (Lithograph) - in f/l.

Today I used N-C f/l as a thin line over my VU e/k, and I liked how I got the soft look of the e/k but the durability of the f/l.

Sorry, not really answering the question... I guess I'd stick w/ f/l's b/c if I wanted the softer look I can use a shadow over it... I've got a LLL in Greenplay and while I love the colour, the goopiness does get quite irritating. I apply with my angle brush to use as a base and a liner - looks great w/ Woman of Means and Golden Olive. But LLL's are not flexible enough as a liner to buy up a few colours - I treat mine mroe as a special item to be used when I've got time to clean up potential - well, likely - messes.

Sorry for the long answer, it's late. Hope it helped some tho!

ilovexnerdsx

i just use the 208 brush to line my eyes with shadows. i think its easier to coordinate that way, because most people know which eyeshadows go with which... as opposed to knowing an eyeshadow plus a kohl OR shadow plus a fluidline and etc. or at least i do, haha
smiles.gif

i do however have some black liquid liner because it gives that distinguised and polished look
th_wink3.gif

i also have the pop iris & aqualine liquidlasts because the colors are so pretty i couldn't stay away
greengrin.gif

but i dont have any pencils whatsoever. meh.

Bre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_MAC
When I want a thin line with my powerpoints I have to sharpen it to death. One the other hand, with f.l's I just switch brushes.

Hey Lady Mac

Could you pls tell me what you use to get a thin / thick line when you "switch brushes"

I'm a trained make-up artist but still have always struggled with liquid liner, I haven't tried the F/L so maybe this is my answer if it's as easy to use as you all say

Ta
Bre

princess

Just started using eyeliner a few months ago and after some researching, decided to get fluidlines. Easy to use even for a beginner, won't smudge and can last pretty long on me. A friend uses pencil eyeliner and it never fails to smudge on her after a while. LLL has this horrible reputation of difficulty in removing so...
smiles.gif