MAC interview this morning- what happened.

claresauntie

Hi, all.

I had an interview today at the local Macy's MAC counter.
clap.gif

They're hiring for either a PT position (about 15 hours) or a freelance position. My husband and I need me to have a FT position, so I'll have to keep my current FT job until I can get something FT at MAC. So, since I work 40 hours at that job, I'm not sure which MAC position I'll take, if it's offered. Especially since I have a 7 month old baby at home- I don't want to be gone all week and all weekend!

But anyway, let me tell you about the interview:

I showed up early and the manager was with a customer. She saw me and we waved to each other. I just poked around, familiarizing myself with some products I know less about, like Lip Laquer and the Gelees.

When she was free, we went to talk out in the mall. She asked me to tell her about myself, which I did, then she started asking me interview-type questions. She asked if I had ever worked in cosmetics before (I have, but it was years ago).

She asked how I felt about sales goals, then after I answered she explained how their goals are set for the year, the month, the week, the day and then by the artist.

She asked me to tell her about a time that I had experienced bad customer service. Then she asked me to tell her about a time that I had been on the receiving end of good customer service.

She asked me if I liked to work on a team, or alone. Then after I answered that, she asked me what I thought makes a good team.

She then asked me to tell her what I'd do with a mother of 4 young kids who came in for a makeover, but who told me she didn't have a lot of time for makeup each day. I suggested Strobe Cream for moisturizing and to add some brightness. The Prep + Prime to prime the skin. I told her it depended on the woman's skin, but that I love the Mineralized Skinfinishes, so it seemed right for her that was a nice fast but pretty way to balance skin color and tone. Then I'd recommend one or two eye shadows, depending on her eye shape, then mascara and blush. I'd top it off with one of the more opaque Lipglasses. My theory is that all of that could be applied in under 7 or 8 minutes, and she'd look bright and fresh, easily and efficiently.

The next thing she asked me about was what I'd do if I were at the counter and there was a woman in the chair for a full makeover, she (the manager) was on the phone asking about some daily numbers, and I had a new shipment to stock. How would I prioritize that? Well, being no dummy, I told her that I'd politely ask my customer to wait a moment, answer the phone and tell my manager that I was with a customer and ask if I could call her back. Then I'd help the customer, then call the manager back. Then I'd stock the shelves.

She asked me a few more trivial things and asked if I had any questions that she could answer for me. I had some, which she cheerfully answered. I told her I wasn't sure which I was leaning towards- the PT or the freelance position, and explained why. She said, well, when I call you later you can tell me which one you want. (Hmmm... that sounded promising!)

Then I told her that I really was aiming for a full-time position because I want this to be my career. I asked her how that worked if I were PT or freelance first (though I had a pretty good idea from my Specktra addiction
rofl.gif
). Mostly I wanted to make sure she understood that if a FT position opened up I really wanted it, even if it weren't at that location. I wanted her to know not only so she could watch out for that for me and keep me in mind, but also so she was prepared in case something opened up quickly at one of the other location that I was going for it. That was when she said "well, I hate to lose you, but my boss is in town tomorrow and I'll see if she can get you into something FT, because even though we'd miss having you, it would be good for you and for MAC."

OMG! Wow!

So, she asked when was a good time to call me, and of course I said "anytime you want, the number I gave you is my cell".
lol.gif
And she said she'd talk to me soon.

I had no group interview and she never mentioned a demo. Isn't that weird!?

So, wish me luck gals! I will keep you posted, and I hope this description helps any other MAC hopefuls.

*jen

claresauntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki
Sounds good, but don't count the demo out. Just be prepared for it.
smiles.gif

DEFINITELY! I'm ready!
thmbup.gif

aquarius11

Sounds like you did fantastic at your interview! Just FYI...when I was hired as a MAC Freelancer, I only interviewed with our manager; I didn't do a demo or have a second interview. Sounds weird, I know, but some managers do that, I guess. Plus, I live in a smaller town with only one MAC counter, so that could be a factor. Whatever the case, it worked out well for me; freelancing is so convenient for me, as I also do a lot of volunteer work at my local Humane Society, which I love and it's my #1 priority. I really think you'll do well at MAC!

Holly

Yay im excited for you! It sounds like it went well
greengrin.gif
Hopefully theyll find you a f/t position! I want to apply at MAC too, but I'm so worried that I won't have enough work experience and stuff, rar! Best of luck to you!!

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly
Yay im excited for you! It sounds like it went well
greengrin.gif
Hopefully theyll find you a f/t position! I want to apply at MAC too, but I'm so worried that I won't have enough work experience and stuff, rar! Best of luck to you!!

Apply anyway. Just show them you are passionate about make up and MAC.
smiles.gif

Klava

I just wanted to say to FacesbyNiki - your comments are always so supportive and encouraging! You are a very kind and amazing person. Thanks!

Latest posts