MAC Job Fair

SloanePeterson

I searched the forum for threads related to MAC Job Fairs and found this thread:
http://www.specktra.net/t/180391/mac-job-fair-question-different-than-group-interview

However it's from 2012 and I wanted to start a new thread about MAC Job Fairs. I'm going to one tomorrow. It came up in my job alerts on ZipRecruiter and I signed up for it.

It's for On Call/Freelance and Management and the ZipRecruiter post says:

"If you love M.A.C, have a passion and skill for make-up artistry with
experience in retail and customer service, please join us for our open Career Fair.
Please be prepared to present your resume and meet with the M.A.C recruitment team.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Thank you for your interest in M.A.C!

MAC is an equal employment opportunity employer."

I read the previous thread and so far the data I've accumulated is: Wear all black to the interview, go in full face makeup

xdaniellax said: "When I showed up, I signed in and the recruiter would take 3 of us at a time to interview. She took our resumes and asked us general questions on availability and what locations we'd like to work at and our retail experience. Then she asked a few questions like on a scale of 1-5, 5 being the best, how would you rate the makeup on your face. The whole interview took about 10 minutes. After that she let us know if we moved on to the next step which is the demo interview. I passed and was called about 2 weeks later for my demo :)

Most of the other thread's information relates to the second interview and the demo. It looks like it's not uncommon to have to wait 2 weeks after a job fair to get a call for a second interview.

Does anyone have any more feeback/suggestions or information about what it's like at a MAC Job Fair?

sweetsadity

I'm new to here and can't even figure out how to start my own post! But it is closely related to this one. . . I've wanted to work for M.A.C for as long as I had a passion for makeup. I found a job fair being held on January 6, 2014 via glassdoor or indeed. I have never done it this way but figured it would be worth it to try it another way than going to the counter, I sent in my resume and created a very well write cover letter and sent it to the recruiter in hopes that I would be contacted and the undisclosed location of the fair would be revealed to me. To my surprise a few days later I was contacted via email and was asked to set up a day and time and then was given all of the info. The day of the fair, the weather here in Chicago was terrible and the fair was canceled and interviews were conducted over the phone. After my phone interview I was asked to come in for the demo and I was surprised because I thought I totally bombed the interview. For my demo I beat my face for the makeup Gods (profile picture) and even practiced the look I would do for the interview a few days prior. There was about 7 people so of course we switched models and we were given 45 minutes to do whatever they wanted. I was asked to do a pinup look. At the end of my time I basically finished, there was a few things I wanted to touch up, yet my model loved her makeup. I sent a thank you email, then waited to hear back. Weeks passed and I was not contacted and was unsure if this was normal because they didn't tell us when we could expect to hear back. I sent a few emails and was contacted by the recruiter. She basically informed me that I would have already heard something if I was chosen and invited me to attend the demo again on the 21st of February. To my surprise she told me that my makeup was too dramatic and the is not the look M.A.C goes for anymore. On the day of the demo I brought my sister with me again, I curled my hair and did my makeup very natural and was ready to ace it this time! My model happened to be a man and inside I was freaking out because I've never done male grooming. In the end they told us we'd hear back in 1-2 weeks, I thanked the recruiter and manager and waited to hear back. I was contacted yesterday by the recruiter about my availability and she told me she would be forwarding my resume to retailers around Chicago. My question is, how long does it take to be contacted by a manager to interview at a specific retailer after going through a recruiter? [ATTACHMENT=805][ATTACHMENT=806]image.jpg (275k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT]

SloanePeterson

I got a second interview with MAC!

I've just come back from the MAC job fair that I originally posted about. Here's how it went down:

I arrived at the courtyard where my local MAC freestanding store is located. The interviewer was sitting at a table outside the store. I signed my name into the sign-in sheet and there were already about 20 girls signed in. In the courtyard I noticed about 13 girls ahead of me. The one thing I noticed is that just about all of them had a very "edgy" look to them. Everyone was dressed in all black. Some of the girls were wearing tiny tank tops. Some has tattoos all over their bodies. One had hair that was shaved on the sides and a giant faux-hawk in the middle. One was wearing a tiny skirt with black hose. Several had on sky-high heels. Almost all of them were wearing very dramatic, colorful makeup and some had fake lashes that were very long.

I was wearing black slacks, black close-toed flat shoes, a long-sleeved black blouse that covered up most of my body. As for my makeup, i was wearing hot pink eyeshadow with MAC Kid blended into the crease (I wanted to wear at least one MAC item in case they asked) and a pink lip gloss. I wore hoop earrings with pink stones as my only accessory.

When I compared myself with the other girls, I thought, "damn, I look boring, they all fit the MAC 'image' more than I do".

I waited in the courtyard for about an hour and a half. When the interviewer called my name, she took me inside the MAC store to the private area because she said it was cold outside. First we chit-chatted for a few minutes about our Italian last names.

After that, the first thing she said was, "I just want to compliment you on your look today, your image, the way you've put yourself together". I thanked her and said, "I wasn't sure you would like it because some of the other girls..." and she cut me off and said, "you don't even have to say it, I understand what you mean. MAC likes to be 'edgy' but we want to be clean and classy the way you look."

I mention this because I think some of the other girls had this idea in their heads that they had to look "funky" because that is MAC's image. But I want you all to be aware that this interviewer seemed to like my simple, conservative look.

After that, she looked at my resume and asked me some questions about my work experience. She asked me how long I had been doing makeup, how long I had been doing retail, and if I'd ever had sales goals.

Then, she asked me to do a demonstration of my "approach". She wanted to do roleplaying. She would be the customer. So she says, "I walked into the store and..." From there I went on to play the part of the MAC employee, greeted here, told her I loved her necklace, asked her what brought her into MAC today. She said she was looking for a new foundation. I proceeded to ask her questions about her skin type and what kind of coverage she wanted. I ended up "selling" her MAC Face & Body foundation.

The interviewer told me my roleplaying was great but would be even better if I presented her with moisturizer and primer options before the foundation.

She also asked me what I would like my position to be at MAC and I told her that I understand how it works: that you freelance first and then get a permanent position. She told me I was exactly right and asked me if I was okay with that and I said yes! Then she asked me which of the stores in my area I would be willing to work. She asked me where I see myself with MAC and I told her that I would eventually like to end up as a traveling representative and that if i went "all the way" I would work for corporate in marketing.

At the end of the interview she gave me a piece of paper with the invitation to the second interview and asked me to put it in my purse because "not everyone will be getting one of these"

She explained that the second interview would be a 'verbal group interview' and then a makeup demonstration. I would have to bring my invitation to the interview, a model, and my own clean makeup brushes. (I have heard at other interviews that they provide you with makeup brushes but you must always be prepared to bring your own!)

It's Feb. 25th and my 2nd interview is on March 18th, three weeks away!

I'm so excited. I'm even more excited now that I've been invited to the second interview. The interviewer was really nice, by the way. PM me or post in this thread if you have any more specific questions about my experience :)

alexisweaver

Wow! It's good that you went as 'you' and not what you thought they wanted 'you' to be. Congrats and good luck!

sweetsadity

Yes! The first time I went, I did very dramatic makeup to showcase my skills however that backfired on me, their new trends are now leaning more towards the natural side. So for my second demo I made sure to be a lot more natural. I would say if you are looking for a job with MAC and you are researching the questions and other people experience, if you are fortunate enough to know who is interviewing also do a little research about the interviewer, they love to see that you took initiative because most people won't think to do that. That way you can ask other people who has interviewed with them or worked with them what they like and don't like as far as appearance standards etc. I did that the second time around and it helped tremendously! What I hope to be my final interview is one week away, I'm going to continue to prepare for this because I feel like I'm so close!

Hey guys Ive got an makup demo next thursday for selfrigdes store does anyone know the heads up for the UK store, do they swap the models? Do you have to bring all mac brushes as i dont think i have their eyeshadow brush!! Thanks would really help a bunch as i am soooo nervous i normally worked in retail but have a passion for makeup i didnt even think id get this far in the process! Shauna x Email me if anything - [email protected]

aedwards1983

Hello everyone! New on here :) I just had a Mac Demo Wed. Im just waiting to hear back if I got hired! Im so excited and nervous.

Latest posts