MAC Makeup Kit?

LILYisatig3r

Hey guys! So I just wanted to get opinions on something really quick!

I'll be starting next Wednesday as an apprentice under my friend who is a makeup artist. She's taken a course at our local beauty academy and gone to seminars and classes for MAC for ages & currently works at a salon downtown in my area. We're ordering my student kit tomorrow with all the basic stuff the academy provides when you enroll there as well.

But the reason this topic is being posted in the MAC Recommendations area, is because I'm asking you experts: What kit essentials do I need to order when I'm done learning from her? What are some MAC items that I absolutely can't miss out on in my kit?

Here's everything that comes in the kit now:

- 15 Pro Palette Eyeshadow: Blanc Type, Hush, Yogurt, Pink Venus, Wood Winked, Mulch, Omega, Espresso, Brun, Purple Haze, Sketch, Contrast, Club, Plumage, and Carbon
- 1 Pro Palette Eyeshadow Case
- 4 Pro Palette Blushes: Pink Swoon, Raizin, Pinch Me, and Gingerly
- 1 Sculpting powder
- 1 Shape Powder Definitive
- 1 blush pro palette case: blush, sculpt, and shape powders
- 6 lipsticks: Russian Red, Girl About Town, Film Noir, Twig, Fleshpot, and Morange
- 2 lip pencils: Spice and Chestnut
- 2 eye pencils: coffee and smolder
- 1 fluidline: black track
- 1 mascara: formula of choice
- 4 Select Cover-up Concealers: NC30, NC42, NW25, and NW45
- 4 Face and Body Foundation: N1, N9, C3, and C6
- 3 Mineralize Skinfinish Natural: Light, Medium, Dark
- Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder
- 4 Lipglass: Clear, Sinnamon, Underage, and Wonderstruck
- 3 Cream Color Base: Luna, Shell, Bamboo
- 3 Brow Pencils: Fling, Lingering, and Stud
- Penultimate Liner: Rapid Black
- 3 Pigments: Vanilla, Tan, and Dark Soul
- Brushes: 210, 129, 224, 266, 316, and 252
- MAC Bag
--------------

I'm planning on ordering enough eye shadows to fill a palette for every color wheel in the future but as of right now, that's all I can come up with. I appreciate the help! :D TIA!

ElvenEyes

I wear MAC, but do not sell it, though I was an Avon Lady once upon a time. I would say the biggest thing I noticed is that you don't have concealer, foundations and lipsticks for fairer skinned people, in the NW15-20 or NC15-20 range. I would find softer blushes, like Pinch of Peach and Well-Dressed, and if you want I can give you a small list (top 5 or 10) of lipsticks that work well for lighter skinned people, if you think you will have clients that are fair. As you work you will probably find other brushes that you prefer, as well. Have a blast!!

LILYisatig3r

I know, I noticed that too! I, personally, wear NC20 so I found it interesting that I didn't even have a shade match in the kit! I guess expanding the foundation/concealer range is probably my first goal, right? & yeah! If you'd be willing to post the list, I'd greatly appreciate it! I made two blush palettes on MAC's website today that I'll pick up eventually. These are the shades I chose:

Sincere, Peachtwist, Melba, Sunbasque, Raizin, Peaches
then..
Pinch O' Peach, Desert Rose, Coygirl, Frankly Scarlet, and Dollymix

LC

i'd say...you need more of:

shadows - ricepaper, wedge, satin taupe, stars n rockets, moons reflection, goldmine, and parfait amour
blushes - harmony, mocha, tenderling, full fuschia
lip pencils- dervish, brick, and magenta
lipsticks - creme d'nude, rebel, back to del rio, syrup, snob
eye kohl - blooz
fluidline - dipdown
I def disagree about them giving you the select cover up concealers as the only choice of concealer. I use select cover up concealer quite a bit in my kit, but only as an eyeshadow base, for face concealer i prefer to use studio finish
studio finish: nc15, nc45, nw25, nw35, nw45
I Disagree a lot about the face and body foundation as well...it's a GORGEOUS foundation, and GREAT for models with PERFECT skin already for photoshoots, but it's simply not practicle for 90% of your jobs for the women who don't have amazingly perfect skin. I suggest getting a few Studio Fix Fluids (for people who require full coverage), and a few in studio sculpt (for those who want regular coverage). Both foundation types photograph beautifully.
studio fix fluid AND studio sculpt foundation in: nc15, nc25, nc45, nw15, nw25, nw45
lipglass - instant gold, oh baby, crystal rose
brushes - 190, 168, 219, 242, and 217

I hope this helps <3

LILYisatig3r

Ugh, so I replied to this post, and it sat there at the "please wait" screen for ages. I don't want to retype everything I said, so here's a screenshot, ha:

Sorry, I know it's huge, and kind of dark, but it's towards the bottom of the Safari screen =/ I also bought MAC brushes 217 and 219 yesterday so those are knocked off the list :)

LC

I'm not sure what she means about the foundation...both that i suggested are also liquids, not creams, good for just about any skin type.

the drawback about the face and body is that it has next-to-no coverage, and 90% of your clients will need some type of coverage, so that's why i suggested the studio sculpt for medium coverage, and the studio fix fluid for the full coverage...

as far as shadows, you're wish list is too long, haha, it's not too long if you want a fun collection, as far as necessities, you only need about half of that. I suggest getting the ones I mentioned, and then you can add after that. the ones i suggested are the ones I use the most often, and every once in a while i'll reach for a different one....

i'm really excited for you to get the kit, how fun will it be to get all that mac stuff at once! i'd want to roll around in it when i first got it, haha!

good luck, keep us posted, and please feel free to email me if you have any other questions

xo Lauren

LILYisatig3r

Yeah I know, ha. I wantwantwant everyyything. It's so sad D: I want all of those colors!! Ha. But yeah, I should get the necessities first. And I guess what she meant about the foundations and concealers, was that the Face & Body ones are just basic, the others are necessities for later. I guess... ha.

But I will definitely take some pics when I get it! I think I just might have to roll around in it myself! Ha. Thanks for the help!

LC

yikes, no, the face and body is not a basic, and should come last. no offence to her. Its really a beautiful foundation, but it only works for very few select people because of how sheer it is...

getting a foundation with more coverage is a basic, because if ends up being too much coverage, you can always thin it with a moisturizer or something else, but face and body can't be built up. Not like it matters, you're getting stuck with the face and bodies in your kit no matter what

LILYisatig3r

Yeah that's definitely the truth. It's already been shipped so I can't change any of it =/ I'll definitely make sure I add the others though, asap. Thanks for the tip!!!!!

LILYisatig3r

I def. will! I went to my local CCO and picked up Melon, Push The Edge, and Heritage Rouge pigments :) I wanted Rose & Cocomotion too so I'll have to go back!