MAC Matchmaster Foundation Discussion

makeupgrrl

Shellcat, I am an NC 35 normally, a little darker in the summer. I think it adjusts to your skin tone very well and the finish is beautiful.

Edelmc

has anyone tried mixing this with strobe cream....i love the finish I get when I am strobe cream to foundation....

QueenOfSnark

My local MAC is having an event tonight for the release of Matchmaster, StyleDriven, Fall Color, AND Posh Paradise, but I'm only interested in Matchmaster. MAC's foundations have been frustratingly red and/or ashy on my skin, so it'll be interesting to see if Matchmaster has anything that works as well as NARS. As much as Iove my Sheer Matte I'm annoyed by the lack of SPF and if I can cut a step in my makeup routine, all the better.

QueenOfSnark

^So I'm done with ever trying to find a MAC foundation. DONE. >_<

My first sign this evening wasn't going to go well was that even after I told the MUA who was helping me with the Matchmaster foundation my concerns/what my skin is like/the issues I've had with being matched with MAC foundations before (too red/too dark/too ashy) she immediately picks up one of the darker shades in the spectrum (8.0). Even when I told her "whoa there, that's WAY too dark!" she just giggled and said "oh, it just looks like that on my skin because I'm so pale". Um hello, you can obviously see in the bottle that it's way too dark! She insisted on applying it...and did so on top of the foundation I told her I was already wearing. No removal, nothing. I even told her I was still wearing foundation, and did she need to remove it, and the MUA insisted it'd be fine. Hello? How can you match my skintone when I'm already wearing something on top of it?! >_< And yes, it was obviously way too dark, like a streak of mud across my chin. She went three (!) more down, and they were still too dark (7.5, 7.0) and too red (6.0). Though the MUA kept insisting "oh, it'll adjust to your skin!" I just wanted to leave in disgust at that point and didn't have the heart to snap at her that said color adjusting claims don't work.

*sigh* I know that was a rant, but long story short is that the Matchmaster was a bust as well. After my treatment tonight (I swear, does every MUA at my local MAC believe that brown = NC45?) I doubt very seriously I'll ever try another MAC foundation again. *hugs her bottle of NARS Tahoe*

shontay07108

My first sign this evening wasn't going to go well was that even after I told the MUA who was helping me with the Matchmaster foundation my concerns/what my skin is like/the issues I've had with being matched with MAC foundations before (too red/too dark/too ashy) she immediately picks up one of the darker shades in the spectrum (8.0). Even when I told her "whoa there, that's WAY too dark!" she just giggled and said "oh, it just looks like that on my skin because I'm so pale". Um hello, you can obviously see in the bottle that it's way too dark! She insisted on applying it...and did so on top of the foundation I told her I was already wearing. No removal, nothing. I even told her I was still wearing foundation, and did she need to remove it, and the MUA insisted it'd be fine. Hello? How can you match my skintone when I'm already wearing something on top of it?! >_< And yes, it was obviously way too dark, like a streak of mud across my chin. She went three (!) more down, and they were still too dark (7.5, 7.0) and too red (6.0). Though the MUA kept insisting "oh, it'll adjust to your skin!" I just wanted to leave in disgust at that point and didn't have the heart to snap at her that said color adjusting claims don't work.

*sigh* I know that was a rant, but long story short is that the Matchmaster was a bust as well. After my treatment tonight (I swear, does every MUA at my local MAC believe that brown = NC45?) I doubt very seriously I'll ever try another MAC foundation again. *hugs her bottle of NARS Tahoe*
Wow. That sounds like a nightmare. I can relate, sadly. Tonight an MUA tried to get me to test this foundation, but I passed. I was already wearing foundation, but I gave up on Mac in this department some time ago. He kept going on about how it's perfect for oily and combo skin. That's all good and well, but I told you from the jump that my skin is drier than a desert, so...yeah.

DILLIGAF

*joins you with a bottle of NARS Trinidad*

Mac-Guy

Seriously, this sounds awful. I wish they would have better lighting in stores! There are quite a few MUA who tend to sell foundations that are too dark or try to apply a product over another one because they are not listening at all to the client. So sad, but good for Nars. Go girl!

makeupgrrl

Wow...sorry you guys had a bad experience tonight. I went to the launch party at my local store and had a great time. I didn't see Matchmaster there, but I already have it so maybe I just didn't notice it. For all you ladies wondering what shade you are in Matchmaster there is a chart online I found when I googled "Matchmaster foundation chart", it helped me know which shade to order online.

Endit

Quote:
Wow. That sounds like a nightmare. I can relate, sadly. Tonight an MUA tried to get me to test this foundation, but I passed. I was already wearing foundation, but I gave up on Mac in this department some time ago. He kept going on about how it's perfect for oily and combo skin. That's all good and well, but I told you from the jump that my skin is drier than a desert, so...yeah.
I'm trying it eventually anyways. In the Q&A, it was said it was developed for all skin types, and that the oil controlling ingredients were only for those who produce a lot of oil. Anyways, it was also said that those with dry skin just use an emollient moisturizer. I happen to overmoisturize or feel a little greasy, like stuff doesn't totally absorb into my skin, so I'm thinking MM could still work for my dry skin.

ansimi

I tried it out at the party. I don't know if the special matching technology works or whatever but shade 1.0 was great for me colour-wise. I thought all the colours looked like real human colours which is more than I can say for some foundation lines. My skin is oily but dehydrated and I wasn't wearing makeup was I was wearing a days worth of oil and sweat over my sunscreen and moisturizer. I found it looked terrible at first. It accentuated every texture flaw but especially a couple of flaky patches but it does get better quickly. I'm used to using a tinted moisturizer and this seemed to take a LOT more product than I'm used to using which surprised me. The lighting in my MAC store is harsh and unflattering and I did not think it looked very good. I liked it much better when I got home and saw it in my own lighting. I didn't ask for a sample because it was so busy but I'll get one another time.

I tested it using the 193 brush. I like the size and shape of it and it seemed to apply product well. It's nothing special but it's a good brush. The display model had several hairs that were cut too long for their place in the angle though and I hate that. It's synthetic so it should be easier to control quality than on a natural brush and those hairs sticking out made the brush look cheap and could potentially cause streaking. I might buy one some day but only upon consultation with an SA.

sss215

I tried this at an even and the verdict is still out. It feels alot like SFF, which is good and the color is pretty true to my skin tone. I was 8.5 which s the mix of NW47 and NW46. It did not look oily or red. I wore it around the store for about 15 minutes and it was ok. Then I went over to try the Deep Dark, Studiocareblend powder over it, and then my skin greyed out in some places. WTF? So I'll try the foundation again, on its own another day. My first impression is that its fine, but I have to get a sample and apply it at home, with my lighting.

C2keri

I went to the party as well and brought the CEO of the company for which I do makeup. She tried MM as I had foundation on. The MA actually kept going too light on Cheryl's skin. I had matched her to a Clinique foundation last year and I knew that what she was trying went too red. and light for Cheryl. I don't know why the MA didn't just say, "This isn't for you. Let's try this other foundation." We both loved the consistency and coverage...but not the match.

martiangurll

Anybody who tried this can attest to how long it lasts? My T-zone is impervious to any foundation lasting more than 6 hours (except Revlon CS which looks like plaster) but I always hold out hope. I am only oily in the t-zone, the rest is fine. Also, is this full coverage or less?

ansimi

Anybody who tried this can attest to how long it lasts? My T-zone is impervious to any foundation lasting more than 6 hours (except Revlon CS which looks like plaster) but I always hold out hope. I am only oily in the t-zone, the rest is fine. Also, is this full coverage or less?

Matchmaster is not even close to full coverage. I only had it on for about 5 hours but my face wasn't clean when I applied it and I thought it wore pretty well. I have the impression that it might last well so it would be worth a try if the colour and coverage appeal to you. Like Revlon CS, this smells terrible but the smell didn't linger when I was wearing it like CS does.

I'm sure some of the Eurpeans who've had more time to test will have better information on lasting power.

purplerinne

I am wearing it right now and so far so good! It's been almost 5 hours and it still looks like I just put on my face. Even my blush is intact which usually starts sliding off my face around the 3-4 hour mark (if it's a powder). There was this funky smell but luckily after blending it disappeared. I thought I put too much since I dipped my brush into a sample jar but it didn't cake up at all. It just kind of melted on my face and i had to keep looking to make sure i covered my entire face. It's been hot here and I walked all over downtown sweating my bum off and i figured that some of it would come off. I checked the mirror and it's all there! It didn't even look like I was sweating!

I am going to test it until about the 10 hour mark since my current foundation Dior Forever lasts that long on me. IF it can make it to the 10 hour mark I'll be switching and saving about $15 in the process!

makeupgrrl

I love this foundation especially after picking up the 193 brush today. I have had it on for 10 hours and it still looks fresh. I think it is worth trying out if you are in the market for a new foundation.

purplerinne

I'm on the 9 hour mark and I have decided to buy a full bottle...SOOOO worth it since it's everything I want in a foundation
I love this foundation especially after picking up the 193 brush today. I have had it on for 10 hours and it still looks fresh. I think it is worth trying out if you are in the market for a new foundation.

makeupgrrl

I'm glad you love it! I have been so excited for this to come out, and I am so happy it has lived up to my expectations. I just washed my face after having it on for about 12 hours, and it held up really well. I think this is my new fave foundation. :)

bis

I tested this two days ago and I am not sure what to think. When I went to the counter the MA was not sure if I am a 2.0 or a 3.0. Normally I am a NC15, but now I am a bit tan, so maybe NC20/25 if I had to guess. When I asked about it, she mentioned that the color would adjust to my skin. So she decided 3.0 is too dark and went ahead with 2.0. In the store lighting it looked ok, too obvious for my taste, but well. When my bf saw me he said only "Arizona", way too dark and orange. So the color adjustment is definitely limited ;) I was also told that the foundation sometimes can sit on the skin, but on my dry skin it was really nice. Less glowy than I normally like, but very nice. It also held up very well in rain and then heat. It also does not need to be powdered, which I like. It dried down and was not sticky at all. No idea how it holds up on oily skin as I never get shiny, but at least it wore very well on my skin. Not sure if I feel like trying it a lighter shade as I prefer the finish of my Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua much more, but it is a very nice foundation. Btw, I think it runs yellow, normally I prefer more neutral foundations.

Latest posts