MAC Mineralized =/= Minerals?

alka1

One thing that has always bugged me about MACs mineralized products is that many people are fooled thinking they are "mineral" products. I've seen this so many times on reviews, blogs, youtube videos, etc. People claiming they like MAC MSFs, Mineralize blushes, Mineralize satinfinish because they are made with "minerals"?

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but the reason they're named mineralize is because of the mineralize/metallic/luminous finish (hence Mineralize "Skin finish").

I realize MAC has a separate loose mineral foundation, but this topic mainly focuses on the other Mineralize products MAC sells.

any thoughts?

vocaltest

Not true.
MSF's are baked minerals with some other bits and bobs thrown in. The 'skin finish' part is just a description, really.

alka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaltest
Not true.
MSF's are baked minerals with some other bits and bobs thrown in. The 'skin finish' part is just a description, really.

thanks for your input. I've always found the mineralize part a bit confusing.. I guess I just thought MSFs were referred to as "mineralized" because of the shiny finish they leave on the skin - kinda like real-life minerals. Am I reading too much into this?

vocaltest

Quote:
Originally Posted by alka1
thanks for your input. I've always found the mineralize part a bit confusing.. I guess I just thought MSFs were referred to as "mineralized" because of the shiny finish they leave on the skin - kinda like real-life minerals. Am I reading too much into this?

I didn't mean the 'not true' bit to sound so shitty btw lol, I just looked back on it!
I don't know the full ingredients of them as I don't know too much about science, but they're def baked minerals. Like you said, its just really the name for them with the 'finish' part. For instance mineralized skin finish natural... natural finish i.e skin toned, satin finish because it provides a satin finish to the skin etc
smiles.gif

alka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaltest
I didn't mean the 'not true' bit to sound so shitty btw lol, I just looked back on it!
I don't know the full ingredients of them as I don't know too much about science, but they're def baked minerals. Like you said, its just really the name for them with the 'finish' part. For instance mineralized skin finish natural... natural finish i.e skin toned, satin finish because it provides a satin finish to the skin etc
smiles.gif

no problem at all

I think MAC officially refers to these products as being mineral-infused (which really means we sprinkled a few minerals and vitamins in there
lol.gif
-still love you MAC!-)

I guess what intrigued me was the fact that most of the Mineralize products contain shimmer/sheen to them (even the natural MSFs). The MSFs in particular, and I was questioning whether or not MAC labeled them as such because they were inspired by shiny, metallic, real-life minerals/crystals (gold, pyrite, platinum).

like I said , i'm reading too much into this.

vocaltest

Quote:
no problem at all

I think MAC officially refers to these products as being mineral-infused (which really means we sprinkled a few minerals and vitamins in there
lol.gif
-still love you MAC!-)

I guess what intrigued me was the fact that most of the Mineralize products contain shimmer/sheen to them (even the natural MSFs). The MSFs in particular, and I was questioning whether or not MAC labeled them as such because they were inspired by shiny, metallic, real-life minerals/crystals (gold, pyrite, platinum).

like I said , i'm reading too much into this.

Possibly?! You could be right actually, it would make sense. Tbh I don't know too much about MSF's as I've never been a big fan, perhaps some MSF obsessed member could shed some light on the reasoning behind the name!!

erine1881

Quote:
no problem at all

lol.gif
-still love you MAC!-)

actually, all of mac's mineralize products contain 77 minerals, which is a bit more than a sprinkling. compared to bare minerals, which contains 5 (hence the name bare minerals!
lol.gif
), mac's actually contain the most minerals out of all mineral brands.

alka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
actually, all of mac's mineralize products contain 77 minerals, which is a bit more than a sprinkling. compared to bare minerals, which contains 5 (hence the name bare minerals!
lol.gif
), mac's actually contain the most minerals out of all mineral brands.

interesting, where are you getting the 77 from? are they listed on the ingredients list?

Ok, nvm. I found an interview with MAC Global product developer that talks about the formula. really interesting!
smiles.gif
and about the sprinkling, most cosmetic companies are known to add very small amounts of active ingredients. I can't say that MAC does that for sure though

II3rinII

erin is right, also, mac has been using minerals in their makeup pretty much since the late 90s, before the whole "mineral craze". zinc, talc, silca, mica are all minerals just to name a few. but yes our mineralized products are made from a blend of 77 minerals infused in spring water, they are formed and baked on terra cotta tiles the water evaporates leaving behind pure mineral and pigment, the baking process helps in the adherence to the product. in an interview with harpers bazaar, jennifer balbier (one of our big wigs) said they derived the 77 blend from natural ingrediants that you could find at a whole foods store, she was quoted in saying that she wanted to create makeup that made more than the claim you could sleep in it, but you could actually eat it as well" (please do not start chewing on your msf). she was basically saying how pure and safe it is.

sorry im sorta still in "trainer" mode, i just finished helping to facilitate update here. just wanted to share the knowledge.

Chrystia

II3RINII sums it up really well. But I was talking to my resident trainer about this recently, and she also pointed out that you only need to have one mineral ingredient to classify the product as mineral makeup. So it definitely a good idea to get the dirt on your make up if you are specifically interested in mineral makeup.

II3rinII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystia
II3RINII sums it up really well. But I was talking to my resident trainer about this recently, and she also pointed out that you only need to have one mineral ingredient to classify the product as mineral makeup. So it definitely a good idea to get the dirt on your make up if you are specifically interested in mineral makeup.

yup very true, our res trainer said the same thing. in fact you could classify studio fix powder as a "mineral" makeup because it contains talc!

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by II3rinII
yup very true, our res trainer said the same thing. in fact you could classify studio fix powder as a "mineral" makeup because it contains talc!

So true! Excellent point. Most makeup does contain a small amount of mineral ingredients.

I think that takes us to another aspect of the product, the manufacturing. MAC has really put a lot of R&D into the manufacturing and milling process. That, along with minerals and other advanced ingredients, really allows these newer MAC mineral products to give such outstanding results.