MAC Neutrals

caramel_geek

Hi everyone. I'm trying to build a collection of neutrals (for work-place eye-do) of eyeshadows. I'm really new at makeup, so I would need tons of help
th_confused_new.gif

Currently, the shades that I have are:
nanogold
vanilla
espresso
mulch
browndown
soft orche paint pot

And I'm looking at expanding my collection. The colors that I'm looking at getting are:
Soft Brown
Soba
Blanc Type
Patina
Bamboo
Evening Aura

But, the problem is, if I get all of them, it would really really drain my bank account
ssad.gif
So, it would be great if you guys can give me some recommendations to which one to get (or must-haves) and which one I can live without. =) And if there are any similarities in the shades of the ones that I'm looking at getting, please please do let me know.

Again, the look that I'll be wearing the most is natural work-place office kind of look. And I'm a NC25 for Select Sheer (if that helps) =)

Hope you guys out there can help me...

KTB

Of the ones you're looking at getting I only have Patina but I love it. It's really quite versatile on me I find. I really should use it more than I do.

I always use Shroom when I'm doing a neutral look and really like BRonze too but that's b/c it makes my blue eyes pop. Bronze is pretty similar to Mulch on most people but I find them different enough to have both. I also like All That Glitters as a lid colour when doing neutral brown looks.

Hope that helps a little
smiles.gif

xoleaxo

you have a good selection so far
smiles.gif

of your want list, i only have soft brown, which i LOVE. i use it a lot.. i put a light neutral on my lid, then use the soft brown in and a little above the crease to blend the lid color.

a neutral not on your list that i'd suggest is bronze.. it goes with everything
smiles.gif
i use it in my crease with shades like vex (another good fun neutral) for neutral looks. i'd also recommend rice paper--it's a beautiful highlight but looks gorgeous as a lid color as well.

anlrmaijois

I have a lot of neutrals, but my go to ones would have to be shroom, all that glitters, satin taupe, woodwinked and grain. Soft brown is also really great for blending out darker colors as well.

I really recommend starting with a couple in each shade level. For example if you already have expresso and mulch stay away from another dark brown for now until you have built your collection up. It can be really overwhelming in the beginning, but don't worry in no time you will be a pro.

Good Luck choosing, and let us know what you decide
smiles.gif

foxyqt

i suggest Orb and Cork eyeshadows, together they make my FAV combo ever! verrry beautiful ^_^

i agree with everyone about Bronze! its very pretty but since you have Mulch you can put it on your wishlist for later.. Grain, All That Glitters, Satin Taupe, Ricepaper, Woodwinked, Arena, Wedge and Shroom are other nice neutrals =)

caramel_geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoleaxo
you have a good selection so far
smiles.gif

of your want list, i only have soft brown, which i LOVE. i use it a lot.. i put a light neutral on my lid, then use the soft brown in and a little above the crease to blend the lid color.

a neutral not on your list that i'd suggest is bronze.. it goes with everything
smiles.gif
i use it in my crease with shades like vex (another good fun neutral) for neutral looks. i'd also recommend rice paper--it's a beautiful highlight but looks gorgeous as a lid color as well.

i've actually thought about Ricepaper as well. But after looking at what Neo Sci Fi has installed for us, i'm starting to think that Evening Aura might look similar to Ricepaper. What do u think?

The reason i pick Evening Aura over Ricepaper is cause of the LE orange packaging
tong.gif

caramel_geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlrmaijois
I have a lot of neutrals, but my go to ones would have to be shroom, all that glitters, satin taupe, woodwinked and grain. Soft brown is also really great for blending out darker colors as well.

how's shroom compared to blanc type? i'm starting to have second thoughts about blanc type. due to the fact that it might look really 'white' on me. i'm a NC25 with dark brown eyes.

would shroom be a better base color than blanc type? or maybe bamboo?
th_confused_new.gif

ZoeKat

I definitely recommend Satin Taupe. It's gorgeous and perfect for the office. I want to love Patina, but so far I can't. It doesn't really show up on me - but I guess I should try really packing it on or using it with a different base. My go-to neutral highlight is Shroom, but sometimes I pick Ricepaper for slightly more shimmer. The shimmer is still very work appropriate IMO. I haven't tried any of the shadows on your wishlist except for Patina.

caramel_geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlrmaijois

I really recommend starting with a couple in each shade level. For example if you already have expresso and mulch stay away from another dark brown for now until you have built your collection up.

which category does woodwinked fall in to? dark brown (eg. espresso) or medium brown?
think the swatches on the mac website can be really mis-leading sometimes.
ssad.gif

caramel_geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeKat
I definitely recommend Satin Taupe. It's gorgeous and perfect for the office. I want to love Patina, but so far I can't. It doesn't really show up on me - but I guess I should try really packing it on or using it with a different base. My go-to neutral highlight is Shroom, but sometimes I pick Ricepaper for slightly more shimmer.

can i know what skintone are u? i'm a NC25. just want to see if patina will show up on me. coz that's one of the reasons i'm not too sure about picking Patina. it definitely looks pretty on the website.

ZoeKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramel_geek
can i know what skintone are u? i'm a NC25. just want to see if patina will show up on me. coz that's one of the reasons i'm not too sure about picking Patina. it definitely looks pretty on the website.

NW20. Do you live near a store/counter where you can try it? I have a feeling that a different base might help it show up on me. I've been using UDPP and Stilife paint.

caramel_geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeKat
NW20. Do you live near a store/counter where you can try it? I have a feeling that a different base might help it show up on me. I've been using UDPP and Stilife paint.

No I don't
ssad.gif

Hmm...i wonder if it'll show up if it's used with either ricepaper or bamboo as a base color...
th_confused_new.gif

foxyqt

Im NC20 and Patina doesnt show up on me either! it takes serious packing.. & I use Soft Ochre paintpot as base =/

Lizzie

Soft brown is suuuuuuuuuuuch a great color! I def. recommend you get that. Also, add another vote to All That Glitters. It's a neutral, but it's got a great sheen that adds a lot of interest.

caramel_geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne
I would recommend you Satin Taupe, Shroom and Evening Aura (as it will be a LE).

How does Shroom look like one u? (since u're a NC25 too
winks.gif
)
Do u think it's possible for u to do some swatches on Satin Taupe, Shroom, Woodwinked (or any of the shades that's on my want-list)? if it's not too much of a trouble... =)

ya...think i'll definitely be getting Evening Aura...coz it's LE
tong.gif

Shenanigans

I can't get into Photobucket at the moment, but I'm sure I have pics in there of me wearing Woodwinked, Mulch and Shroom (I don't know what colour I am in MAC, but I'm pretty pale, lol. Natural Ivory in Cover Girl foundation.) Will post later if I can.

I think Shroom is more greyish beige than white... it's the only MAC shadow I've used down to the pan (I wear a lot of browns/neutrals.)

xbadxstarx

I'm a NC25 as well.. I use bare study as a base for my neutrals. I'm currently using Ricepaper with Soft Brown e/s , Orb with Haux e/s and Shroom with Shale e/s for my eyes.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts