mac pays for your college?!

ductapemyheartt

so, yesterday, i was at mac with my mom and we were buying christmas gifts. everyone was talking to us and the manager was talking to my mom about me working there. and she said, "you know, if you are a thirty hour mac pays for your college!"

was anyone else aware of this?!?!

fattycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ductapemyheartt
"you know, if you are a thirty hour mac pays for your college!"

Sori .. but what does that mean ???

ductapemyheartt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattycat
Sori .. but what does that mean ???

if you work for mac at a thirty hour position, they will pay for your college. all of it.

Jacq-i

*drools* Dangit!! I wish I applied to MAC as a freshman...

That's awesome tho, I never heard that.

peaudane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ductapemyheartt
no! they pay for it! and give you a paycheck!

Wow! Good for them!

peinapple

As good as it sounds, somehow, i dont think this is true. Because if it were, mac would be out of money. It costs around 20,000 a year for some colleges and four years is 80,000. How many employees does mac have who want to go to college?

This doesnt make sense. Maybe what she meant was that your wages woulld pay for college

Bernadette

There is a tuition reimbursement program. 100% of pre-set amounts can be reimbursed. You have to be a 30+ hour employee and the courses taken have to improve skills required in an employees work. Basically any courses would have to be approved through the program first in order to see if they are eligble.
It's a pretty sweet deal.

me_jelly

Wow, seriously? Although I must say, 30hrs means that you would work for 6hrs for 5 days of the week. When would you have time for studying and classes (not to sound like a nerd or anything lol)?

ductapemyheartt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
There is a tuition reimbursement program. 100% of pre-set amounts can be reimbursed. You have to be a 30+ hour employee and the courses taken have to improve skills required in an employees work. Basically any courses would have to be approved through the program first in order to see if they are eligble.

thanks so much for clearing this up!

jenii

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_jelly
Wow, seriously? Although I must say, 30hrs means that you would work for 6hrs for 5 days of the week. When would you have time for studying and classes (not to sound like a nerd or anything lol)?

A lot of people go to school full time on top of working 30 (often 40!) hours a week. It's very common.

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenii
A lot of people go to school full time on top of working 30 (often 40!) hours a week. It's very common.

Exactly. I worked full-time (40+ hours a week) while going to school full-time and teaching fitness classes plus volunteering. I finished my bachelor's degree in the normal amount of time, and I just reaching the end of a year break from school before going back (while still working) for my master's.

It's all about time management and where you are in life. It's not necessarily an easy balance all the time, and there needs to be a personal commitment to make it work.

I would say that at least 50% of middle management at my full-time job have gone to school while working full-time. A good numer of the people who are now in senior management at my job also gained their degrees or advanced degrees while working full-time.

amoona

Ok most companies say that if you work full time they'll do a reimbursment thingy. I'm only part time but when I worked full time at the bank they said the samething. But it's really tricky and don't depend on it to pay for all your school or anything. Most of the time you have to pay first and it doesn't cover books and it's only classes that they've preapproved which usually have to be classes that pertain to your career with the company.

It's a headache haha plus working for MAC part-time is pretty hardcore I couldn't imagine working for MAC full-time AND school full-time.

Bernadette

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_jelly

Shifts are never that stable. You end up with an eight hour shift here, a five hour here, six there... random. It's never just 30 hours a week equals five six hour days.

darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette

Does this mean the courses need to be for a cosmetology school? What if the employee is going to an art school?...

Katura

Bernadette is right, theres more to it than just 'MAC pays for college' you have to be a certain about of hours, be in certain programs, and it doesnt quite pay for ALL of your tuition, but it can def. help you out.

IT's actually all in our little green book they give you when you start at MAC, my mother was amazed and realllllly wanted to have me try for full time to take advantage of alot of wonderful things MAC has to offer for its employees.

MAC does its employees well.
smiles.gif
It's really a great company to work for besides the fact that they have rockin makeup!

calbear

And the classes are not just cosmetology classes - my manager was going to school to take business classes so she could move up within the company and i'm sure they paid a portion.

Love Always Ivy

alot of jobs do that. its called tuition reimbursement. for instance, my friend works for a bank as a teller and her job is paying for her to get her MBA. reimbursement is also contingent on the grades you get. she has to get a B or better to receive 100% coverage. its like a rebate. you pay for your school then they reimburse you after the fact. you have to enroll in preapproved classes by the company. for instance i work at the body shop, if i wanted to go full time (40hrs) and have the company pay for my tuition for grad school, i cant be like im gonna get my masters in art history or asian american studies. it would have to be something business or eco related.

Bernadette

Quote:
Originally Posted by darling
Does this mean the courses need to be for a cosmetology school? What if the employee is going to an art school?...

I would be surprised if it were for cosmetology schools. From what I've heard from a lot of people within the comapny, they're un-impressed my cosmetology schools in general.
I think it could be anything from business courses, to art courses to chemistry type of things. Not really sure.

Latest posts