MAC pin and necklace - allergies anyone? ideas of what i can do?

shorty

Hi!

Well Im getting pretty fed up, i am SERIOUSLY allergic to my necklace and even my pin if it is touching my skin through the fabric, so ive been just wearing my necklace on saturdays and not during the week but its too painful now i have a permanent rash
ssad.gif
I really want to wear them

Anyone got any ideas what i can do with them? my dad said to cover the MAC logo in clear nail varnish and hang in around some ribbon or cord but i dont think it will look right... any ideas?

also how cool are the rubber MAC bracelets given out from fashion week? one of them WILL be mine next year!

burnitdown_x

Is the whole chain bothering you? If not, then I'd go with what your dad said and paint clear nail polish onto the logo. I use to do that because I had a necklace that would leave a dark color on my chest from where the pendant was.

erine1881

i like the idea of hanging it from ribbon, or even a leather cord. just wear your pin when you're wearing layers. just put it thru the outermost layer. that way the pin part itself isn't touching your skin.
th_dunno.gif

rt66chix

th_mad0217.gif

I'm horribly allergic to the pin and necklace too. I only wear my pin when I know it wont touch my skin, and I cant wear the original necklace (or the one you get for passing certification), but the one from christmas 2 years ago with the black square beads are just fine. I just have to make sure that the plastic beads are touching my neck in the back and not the chain part. Not much of an answer, but I hope it helps.

darkbeauty27

The first thing that came to my mind was the clear nail polish too! I'd give that a go and see if it helps.

erine1881

i don't know how crafty you are, but if you can wear other metal chains without irritation, try taking off the mac logo and attatching it to a different chain. they sell different metal chains at hobby stores or bead stores that you could use.

glamourgirl216

Wow! i thought i was the only one who was allergic to the MAC jewelery!!! i haven't been able to figure out what to do either, so i'm glad u posted this thread. hopefully we can figure out something ;-)

shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
i don't know how crafty you are, but if you can wear other metal chains without irritation, try taking off the mac logo and attatching it to a different chain. they sell different metal chains at hobby stores or bead stores that you could use.

i may well try it on a different chain but i have a feeling i'll be allergic to others too (no need to discuss the horrible reaction i had to a piercing when i was 15...
cry.gif
)

Im SO glad people have te same problem... On my way to work now so if i get chance today i'll get some clear varnish on it

whoever tries it on a ribbon, get pictures on !

Kisbee

A few moderately crafty suggestions:

Pin- Try getting two pieces of ribbon/fabric/felt/whatever you've got (or fold one in half) and pin through your top and through the top layer of ribbon so that no matter what you've pinned through there's always something next to your skin.

Necklace- Can you take the logo off and stitch it onto a bit of ribbon to make a choker? You can probably do the same with the whole necklace and make a bit of a punk statement with it..

Meryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourgirl216
Wow! i thought i was the only one who was allergic to the MAC jewelery!!! i haven't been able to figure out what to do either, so i'm glad u posted this thread. hopefully we can figure out something ;-)

It's cheap, meaning not real gold or silver, so you're probably allergic to all the other kinds of metal jewellery as well.

I can't wear any metal jewellery and never will be able to. I don't think there is anything you can do. It's probably worse in the summer if you sweat a bit. The rash gets much worse.

Just don't wear the stuff next to your skin.

Dahlia_Rayn

Generally when people have metal allergies, it's the nickel in it.
If you can switch the chain out somehow then you can get stainless steel perhaps, or sterling. Sterling is actually fairly inexpensive.

MAC*alicious

A MAC necklace?
th_drool.gif

Can I see some pictures please? I've never seen this before
thmbdn.gif

Many people are allergic to nickle or so, the best is pure silver.

baybehbekah

the clear nail polish should work, just make sure you let it dry completely! i had the same problem with my necklace and also with those cheap earrings you get from target or walmart, but are super cute! haha i just cover the metal (nickle) with a thin coat of clear nail polish and it does the trick! i think with a pretty ribbon or leather cord would look really cool, good luck
smiles.gif

ritchieramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC*alicious
Can I see some pictures please? I've never seen this before
thmbdn.gif

Here's a rubbish photo of mine. (I don't work for MAC; I bought this from an ex-MAC MA.
blush-anim-cl.gif
)

MACnecklace.jpg

It looks a bit tarnished as it's been in a box unworn for ages, but it polishes up reasonably well.

brianjenny17

i've put clean nail polish on fake metal jewelry in order to keep it from turning me green
greengrin.gif
.. so im thinking it should work on the logo

shadowaddict

Go with the clear nail polish. I've been having to do that to everything for my daughter for almost 20 years now. She's alergic to nickel as well as some other metals. So since she was itty bitty I have to coat the inside buttons on her jeans, jewelry, anything that touches her skin even a little. Just recently I had to coat a piece on her favorite purse/messenger bag. The metal thing that connected the strap to the actual bag would rub against her arm and she was breaking out in that horrid bright red rash. Of course she cannot wear earrings except if they are made specifically for sensitive ears or usually 14k gold is fine. So far I've never had anything that clear nail polish did not work on. I will usually give it a second coat after a good day's drying just to be sure. Good Luck!

MAC*alicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchieramone
Here's a rubbish photo of mine. (I don't work for MAC; I bought this from an ex-MAC MA.
blush-anim-cl.gif
)

I want too a necklace like this!
drools.gif

Can't I get it as a "normal person? Only peole they work for MAC?

darkbeauty27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC*alicious
I want too a necklace like this!
drools.gif

Can't I get it as a "normal person? Only peole they work for MAC?

These are official MAC necklaces given to MAC employees only.
smiles.gif

However, you can make your own "MAC necklace" from the zipper pull from a MAC cosmetic bag. Other people have done this.

Latest posts